From: Han on
What is GOTOL and how is it different from GOTO? I looked up the
newopcodes.txt file from hpcalc and did not see any documentation on
this opcode. I don't ever recall seeing it in the SASM documentation,
either.
From: Andreas Möller on
Hello,

> What is GOTOL
IIRC correctly this is just another term for GOVLNG.
But you can easily check this by yourself by looking at the binary and
at the coded opcode.
If it is 8Dvwxyz then it is GOVLNG.
You can compare the opcodes with "Introduction to Saturn Assembly
Language" available at hpcalc.org.

Regards,
Andreas
http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de
From: Han on
On Apr 17, 12:28 pm, Andreas Möller <andreas_moellerNOS...(a)gmx.de>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > What is GOTOL
>
> IIRC correctly this is just another term for GOVLNG.
> But you can easily check this by yourself by looking at the binary and
> at the coded opcode.
> If it is 8Dvwxyz then it is GOVLNG.
> You can compare the opcodes with "Introduction to Saturn Assembly
> Language" available at hpcalc.org.
>
> Regards,
> Andreashttp://www.software49g.gmxhome.de

Thank you for the response. On a related note, does anyone know what
the opcodes starting at #02D20h (HP50G ROM 2.15) stand for? I've been
peeking into the prologue handling routines, and keep running into an
opcode that Nosy and ASM-> do not seem to know. Comparing to the ROM
in the HP48, it is supposed to be a branch to RPL, but I have never
seen this sequence of nibbles as an opcode (not even a new opcode from
newopcodes.txt). The 20 nibbles peeked at #02D20h are:

81B164808C1841361340

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
From: Andreas Möller on
Hello,

> supposed to be a branch to RPL
I haven´t checked this specific one but in the ROM of a *real*
calculator some/most (the goal would be all) of the so-called "return
to RPL" loop have been replaced with native ARM assembly code to speed
up the ARM based machines.
You can easily check this yourself by comparing the specific address
with the ROM of the emulator. The ROM of the emulator contains only
pure Saturn code whearas in opposite the ROM of the real calulator is
patched in various areas. (And that is the reason why Nosy can not
deal with it as it only supportes Saturn so far.)

HTH,

From: John H Meyers on
On 4/18/2010 2:37 AM, Andreas Möller wrote:

>> supposed to be a branch to RPL

> I haven´t checked this specific one but in the ROM of a *real*
> calculator some/most (the goal would be all) of the so-called "return
> to RPL" loop have been replaced with native ARM assembly code to speed
> up the ARM based machines.

It was probably "most" as of 2.09; "more" in 2.10 and later.

IIRC, even the most-used supported address "Loop"
(which is within the highly used "GETPTRLOOP")
was not overlaid, even in 2.09

2.10 was ready a few months after 2.09, but HP shelved it,
in some measure repeating the fate
of the never released 1.19 for the original HP49G
(which eventually became available anyway, though never from HP).

However, 1.19 was a much more significant advance over 1.18
than the relatively minor upgrade from 2.09 to 2.10

> You can easily check this yourself by comparing the specific address
> with the ROM of the emulator. The ROM of the emulator contains only
> pure Saturn code whereas in opposite the ROM of the real calculator is
> patched in various areas. (And that is the reason why Nosy can not
> deal with it as it only supports Saturn so far.)

Isn't what Nosy shows still recognizable, once one is aware what it is?
Aren't the various "accelerator hooks" valid (but originally unused) Saturn instructions?

In the light of the above note, a Saturn ROM, still usable on original 49G,
exists for every later ROM through 2.10, and can be transmitted by serial cable
using ROMUPLOAD from Emu48 (or Debug4x) on a computer. You must, however,
make sure that no emulator "patches" (such as for "beeps" or staying turned on)
have been applied, or else the transferred ROM will fail a CRC test
and might not be able to beep or turn itself off.

[r->] [OFF]