From: Zareba on
It appears you are infected with a virus. See if the following info provides
a solution;

The continuing saga...I have run every anti-virus and every anti-malware I
can find in both regular and safe mode. I have also tried to downloand and
install Stinger on 5 different computers (friends helped) and none of them
can install the current version of stinger. We all get "Stinger is not a
valid win32 application". Some of these computers have talked to each other
and could possibly have been infected with a virus, but some have had not
contact with mine or each other.

I realize this is a rather long description of my problem, but I am ready to
tear my hair out. I can not find a virus, malware of any kind nor a fix for
the problem.

If anyone can steer me toward a place to find a solution, I would be
eternally grateful.

Beginning to go back to my original supposition that it is not a virus but
rather a corrupt file somewhere ..possibly in updates for Dot Net....In
Event Viewer, I have found the following error repeatedly.

EventType: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1008
Date: 11/8/2007
Time: 7:59:53 PM
User: THEWIZ\The Wiz
Computer: THEWIZ
The installation of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Wise Installation
Wizard\WISCDDCBBF1270346BC938BBCC81A1EEAAA_3_9_0_1008.MSI is not permitted
due to an error in software restriction policy processing. The object cannot
be trusted.

Any attempt to go to this url only tells me that the file is not found. So I
searched the KB for information on this error and found article 925336 Oct.
11, 2007.

I am also repeatedly getting Com+ error id 4689..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: COM+
Event Category: Unknown
Event ID: 4689
Date: 11/8/2007
Time: 7:43:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: THEWIZ
The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal
state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that could be
caused by the custom components running in the COM+ application, the
components they make use of, or other factors. Error in
d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\package\cpackage.cpp(1184), hr = 8007043c:
InitEventCollector failed

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Again the above url is not
available, but a search of the KB turned up article 916254 Dec. 8, 2006.

I have also received Event ID 1023 source .net runtime frequently over the
past month, as well as event category (6) event ID 102. Error category (100)
event id 1000 also shows up regularly. KB article 290647 seems to speak to
this error.

....Z (tearing my hair out and getting ready to run naked down the shady
street, screaming all the way)

From: jen on
"Zareba" <zareba(a)thetimewarp.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal
> state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that
> could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+
> application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error
> in d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\package\cpackage.cpp(1184), hr =
> 8007043c: InitEventCollector failed

> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Again the above url is not
> available, but a search of the KB turned up article 916254 Dec. 8,
> 2006.
>
> I have also received Event ID 1023 source .net runtime frequently over
> the past month, as well as event category (6) event ID 102. Error
> category (100) event id 1000 also shows up regularly. KB article
> 290647 seems to speak to this error.
>
> ...Z (tearing my hair out and getting ready to run naked down the

Zareba, please don't do that, lol. Try this

It sounds like the COM+ Catalog may have become corrupt. It can be
re-built with the following steps:

1. Reboot and start in Safemode
2. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and execute the following
commands:
* del %windir%\System32\~Clbcatq.dll
* ren %windir%\System32\Clbcatq.dll ~Clbcatq.dll
* del %windir%\Registration\*.* /s
3. Start the registry editor and delete the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \COM3]

4. Reboot and start in Normal mode.
5. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and execute this command:

rmdir /s %windir%\Registration

6. Open the Control Panel and double click Add/Remove Programs
7. Select Add/Remove Components and click Next and it will reinstall
COM+
8. Go to Windows Update and re-apply the necessary service packs and
updates for COM+.

-jen

From: Zareba on
Hi Jen:

Thanks for the information and the detailed instructions. They were easy to
follow but did not completely cure the situation. After the process, I was
able to get a Panda on-line scan which showed nothing bad at all, download
but not run Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (says the catalog file is
damaged), and download and run Spamfighter...but I still can not run
Stinger.

Is there a chance that this is a glitch that MS knows about but does not
plan to fix until SP3? or is there a virus or Trojan out there with this
particular MO?

....Z (still ready to emulate Lucy Jordan)

From: jen on
> Hi Jen:
> Thanks for the information and the detailed instructions. They were
> easy to follow but did not completely cure the situation. After the
> process, I was able to get a Panda on-line scan which showed nothing
> bad at all, download but not run Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
> (says the catalog file is damaged), and download and run
> Spamfighter...but I still can not run Stinger.
> Is there a chance that this is a glitch that MS knows about but does
> not plan to fix until SP3? or is there a virus or Trojan out there
> with this particular MO?

Zareba, if MS cannot help you, check out your HD with chkdsk /r then
with a diagnostics utility from your HD manufacturer if needed. If no
joy, then I'm afraid you're looking at a format- install(or new HD)...

-jen

From: Zareba on
Thanks Jen,

I have everything crossed that a fix will be found and that the problem can
get a name. It is early days with Microsoft so far and I am keeping a
positive attitude.

....Z

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4