From: eleaticus on

"SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message
> eleaticus wrote:
> > I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
> >
> > how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error
> > message is that it is trying to access the hard drive??
> >
> > That's true!
> >
> > As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this
> > inherited system
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > oren
>
> Cna you tell us the name of the program? Someone here may have had some
> experience in getting it to run on XP.

filePro

Thanks

From: eleaticus on

"edfair" <edfair.450tph(a)no.email.invalid> wrote in message

> How did you install it on XP?
>
> One database I use requires the install to be made under DOS (dos
> machine)and all the installed files copied into the program directory on
> the XP machine with a desktop shortcut pointing to the app.

darn. I don't remember if I copied from CD or installed.

Thanks for these suggestions.

oren

From: eleaticus on

"John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message

> eleaticus wrote:
> > I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
> >
> > how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message
is
> > that it is trying to access the hard drive??
> >
> > That's true!
>
> The program is trying to gain direct access to the hardware, that was
> quite common on old DOS applications but Windows XP does not permit
> direct disk or hardware access. Try running the application in a
> virtual machine or in DOSBox.

Virtual machine. Will do.

DOSBox? Commercial, I'm guessing. Will see.

Thanks

oren

From: eleaticus on

"User66" <user66(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "eleaticus" <eleaticus(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
> >
> > how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message
is
> > that it is trying to access the hard drive??
> >
> > That's true!
> >
> > As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this inherited
> > system
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > oren
> >

> Just do the following to open a DOS window
>

> 1. Click 'START', 'All Programs', 'Accessories',' Command Prompt', to open
the DOS screen with DOS
> prompts C:\
>
> 2. Type 'CD\'
>
> 3. Type 'CD\your data base directory name'
>
> 4. Type either the Batch File or the Database Program name to execute
>
> 5. You can expand the little DOS directory by right clicking the 'Command
Prompt', and Maximizing
> the page.
>
> 6. Hope your Batch file is not set for the D: drive, if so change it to C:
drive and run the Batch
> file

If I get you, the execuatables are on the/a CD?

And the data are ...?

Thanks

> Have fun

heh heh

oren

From: John John - MVP on
eleaticus wrote:
> "User66" <user66(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "eleaticus" <eleaticus(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
>>>
>>> how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message
> is
>>> that it is trying to access the hard drive??
>>>
>>> That's true!
>>>
>>> As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this inherited
>>> system
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> oren
>>>

>> Just do the following to open a DOS window
>>

>> 1. Click 'START', 'All Programs', 'Accessories',' Command Prompt', to open
> the DOS screen with DOS
>> prompts C:\
>>
>> 2. Type 'CD\'
>>
>> 3. Type 'CD\your data base directory name'
>>
>> 4. Type either the Batch File or the Database Program name to execute
>>
>> 5. You can expand the little DOS directory by right clicking the 'Command
> Prompt', and Maximizing
>> the page.
>>
>> 6. Hope your Batch file is not set for the D: drive, if so change it to C:
> drive and run the Batch
>> file
>
> If I get you, the execuatables are on the/a CD?

CD is a command, he means to use the Change Directory (CD) command to
navigate to the folder where your DOS application is installed. In any
case the information that he gave you is incorrect, the XP Command
Prompt (cmd.exe) IS NOT DOS, a lot of people think that because it
"looks" like the old DOS console that it must be DOS, they think that
DOS runs on XP as it did on Windows 9x, it doesn't.

John