From: eleaticus on
I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:

how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message is
that it is trying to access the hard drive??

That's true!

As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this inherited
system

Thanks

oren

From: SC Tom on
eleaticus wrote:
> I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
>
> how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error
> message is that it is trying to access the hard drive??
>
> That's true!
>
> As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this
> inherited system
>
> Thanks
>
> oren

Cna you tell us the name of the program? Someone here may have had some
experience in getting it to run on XP.
--
SC Tom

From: John John - MVP on

eleaticus wrote:
> I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
>
> how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message is
> that it is trying to access the hard drive??
>
> That's true!

The program is trying to gain direct access to the hardware, that was
quite common on old DOS applications but Windows XP does not permit
direct disk or hardware access. Try running the application in a
virtual machine or in DOSBox.

John
From: User66 on
"eleaticus" <eleaticus(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
>
> how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error message is
> that it is trying to access the hard drive??
>
> That's true!
>
> As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this inherited
> system
>
> Thanks
>
> oren

Just do the following to open a DOS window

1. Click 'START', 'All Programs', 'Accessories',' Command Prompt', to open the DOS screen with DOS
prompts C:\

2. Type 'CD\'

3. Type 'CD\your data base directory name'

4. Type either the Batch File or the Database Program name to execute

5. You can expand the little DOS directory by right clicking the 'Command Prompt', and Maximizing
the page.

6. Hope your Batch file is not set for the D: drive, if so change it to C: drive and run the Batch
file

Have fun

- User66

From: edfair on

How did you install it on XP?

One database I use requires the install to be made under DOS (dos
machine)and all the installed files copied into the program directory on
the XP machine with a desktop shortcut pointing to the app.