From: Twayne on
In news:hj8nfv$u3r$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
eleaticus <eleaticus(a)bellsouth.net> typed:
> "John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> eleaticus wrote:
>>> "User66" <user66(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> If I get you, the execuatables are on the/a CD?
>>
>> CD is a command, he means to use the Change Directory (CD) command to
>> navigate to the folder where your DOS application is installed. In
>> any case the information that he gave you is incorrect, the XP
>> Command Prompt (cmd.exe) IS NOT DOS, a lot of people think that
>> because it "looks" like the old DOS console that it must be DOS,
>> they think that DOS runs on XP as it did on Windows 9x, it doesn't.

There IS DOS on windows, and even Microsoft documents and recognizes it.
Would you call a piece of cake not cake because the whole cake isn't there?
You might rename it to a "piece of cake", b ut it's still cake.
The fact that it's a subset of the commonly known DOS commands does not
make it not a DOS.
The fact that its total repertoire of commands exceeds the old DOS
commands my many magnitudes does not say it's not DOS.
"DOS" is a name, NOT an operating sytem in these senses and there is
nothing I've seen where people often think anything about whether XP is
"running on" DOS! They simply haven't noticed that MS in their infinite
wisdom chose to rename it to a Command Prompt, but even MS describes it as A
DOS window.

Should a program try to use any of the removed DOS capabilities, or write
directly to disk which XP forbids, etc., then it's going to fail.
Compatability mode can help that in some cases but not all.

From: John John - MVP on
Twayne wrote:

> There IS DOS on windows, and even Microsoft documents and recognizes
> it. Would you call a piece of cake not cake because the whole cake isn't
> there? You might rename it to a "piece of cake", b ut it's still cake.
> The fact that it's a subset of the commonly known DOS commands does
> not make it not a DOS.
> The fact that its total repertoire of commands exceeds the old DOS
> commands my many magnitudes does not say it's not DOS.
> "DOS" is a name, NOT an operating sytem in these senses and there is
> nothing I've seen where people often think anything about whether XP is
> "running on" DOS! They simply haven't noticed that MS in their infinite
> wisdom chose to rename it to a Command Prompt, but even MS describes it
> as A DOS window.

Once again your are deliberately trying to muddle the issue, read the
subject header: "old dos s/w program". The OP is trying to run an old
16-bit DOS application, you ranting on that the 32-bit command processor
is DOS is not helping anything, you can't run any DOS applications in
the native command processor. When people speak of DOS they think back
to the old IBM DOS or the MS-DOS 16-bit operating systems and
applications. There is no DOS in Windows XP, all 16-bit applications
run inside a 32-bit virtual DOS machine.

John
From: Unknown on
Could it possibly be that registry cleaners act on Twaynes brain instead of
his computer?