From: Twayne on
In news:hj2omk$f7a$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
eleaticus <eleaticus(a)bellsouth.net> typed:
> I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
>
> how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error
> message is that it is trying to access the hard drive??
>
> That's true!
>
> As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this
> inherited system
>
> Thanks
>
> oren

Have you tried win 98 or 95 Compatability mode?

What is the name of the database program?

How much longer do you expect it to matter if you're running without AV or
firewall? At least turn on the XP firewall for gosh sake!
I predict your computer will crash hard shortly - work fast! A lot of
drive-bys are looking into your open ports.

HTH,

Twayne

From: ANONYMOUS on
It looks like you have a classic problem of dos programs running in XP with
SP2 or higher. I was running Borland Pascal on XP SP2 at one time and the
solution was to make the installed directory of the program readable and
writeable by everybody. To do this you need to make the folder "share this
folder on the network" and also "Allow network users to change my files".

Database, by its very nature is dynamic and so the data is changed
dynamically and so the folder should be writeable.

hth

From: eleaticus on

"John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
> eleaticus wrote:
> > "User66" <user66(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "eleaticus" <eleaticus(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > is

> >> Just do the following to open a DOS window
> >>

> >> 1. Click 'START', 'All Programs', 'Accessories',' Command Prompt', to
open
> > the DOS screen with DOS
> >> prompts C:\
> >>
> >> 2. Type 'CD\'
> >>
> >> 3. Type 'CD\your data base directory name'
> >>
> >> 4. Type either the Batch File or the Database Program name to execute
> >>
> >> 5. You can expand the little DOS directory by right clicking the
'Command
> > Prompt', and Maximizing
> >> the page.
> >>
> >> 6. Hope your Batch file is not set for the D: drive, if so change it to
C:
> > drive and run the Batch
> >> file
> >
> > If I get you, the execuatables are on the/a CD?
>
> CD is a command, he means to use the Change Directory (CD) command to
> navigate to the folder where your DOS application is installed. In any
> case the information that he gave you is incorrect, the XP Command
> Prompt (cmd.exe) IS NOT DOS, a lot of people think that because it
> "looks" like the old DOS console that it must be DOS, they think that
> DOS runs on XP as it did on Windows 9x, it doesn't.
>
> John

hmmm.

thanks

oren

From: eleaticus on

"Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In news:hj2omk$f7a$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> eleaticus <eleaticus(a)bellsouth.net> typed:
> > I have proved insufficient in finding web solution, so please tell me:
> >
> > how to get my old DOS database program running on XP? The error
> > message is that it is trying to access the hard drive??
> >
> > That's true!
> >
> > As far as I know there is no firewall, the AVG is out on this
> > inherited system
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > oren
>
> Have you tried win 98 or 95 Compatability mode?
>
> What is the name of the database program?
>
> How much longer do you expect it to matter if you're running without AV or
> firewall? At least turn on the XP firewall for gosh sake!
> I predict your computer will crash hard shortly - work fast! A lot of
> drive-bys are looking into your open ports.

Oh oh!

filepro in all compat modes.

thanks

From: eleaticus on

"ANONYMOUS" <ANONYMOUS(a)EXAMPLE.COM> wrote in message
> It looks like you have a classic problem of dos programs running in XP
with
> SP2 or higher. I was running Borland Pascal on XP SP2 at one time and the
> solution was to make the installed directory of the program readable and
> writeable by everybody. To do this you need to make the folder "share
this
> folder on the network" and also "Allow network users to change my files".
>
> Database, by its very nature is dynamic and so the data is changed
> dynamically and so the folder should be writeable.

ok. sounds good/possible.

oren