From: Term Paper on

Hello,
I just recently put a new power jack in my laptop.
Everything worked fine except for now my wireless does not work.
I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I keep getting an error that says
the radio is disabled.
I try to enable it and it does not save the setting. It reverts back to
disabled.

'Term Paper' (http://www.ghostpapers.com/)

--
Term Paper
From: Christopher Muto on
Yvon wrote:
> My wife own an inspiron 1545 laptop. She upgraded the wireless card
> for an "N" card.
> It doesn't work anymore. I tried to uninstall the driver and install
> it again, I even tried a clean install of vista. Nothing worked. Right
> now she use a RJ45 cable to go on the net.
> The problem is, she need her laptop we can't send it to Dell even if
> it take only a week.
> My question is:
> Is this something we can fix ourself?
> Or is it on soldered on the mother board?
>
> Thank you
>
> Yvon

let me see if i follow what you are saying...
you have a inspiron 1545 laptop and a airport router.
the laptop wireless worked with the airport until you replace the
laptop's wireless card with a new card capable of 'n'.
here are my thoughts:
1) if the laptop is unable to 'see' any wireless networks then it is
highly likely that you did not correctly connect the small antenna wires
to the new card.
2) if the laptop is able to 'see' the wireless network but refuses to
connect then you likely have a compatibility problem between the new
wireless card and the airport. you can test this by disabling all
security from the airport and then see if you can connect. if you can
connect after disabling security from the airport then look for firmware
updates for your particular model airport as it may then be able to
connect with the new wireless 'n' card with security enabled.
3) if neither of the above help then why not put back the original
wireless card into this laptop to get the wireless working again. if
that works then you could simply have a bad wireless n card.
4) if you installed the wireless card i don't think that dell would help
you.
Let us know what happens with regard to each of the above suggestions.
From: Christopher Muto on
Term Paper wrote:
> Hello,
> I just recently put a new power jack in my laptop.
> Everything worked fine except for now my wireless does not work.
> I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I keep getting an error that says
> the radio is disabled.
> I try to enable it and it does not save the setting. It reverts back to
> disabled.
>

> 'Term Paper' (http://www.ghostpapers.com/)

do not reply to this thread again - start your own thread. don't hijack
others.

on the left hand side of the latitude d520 you will find a physical
switch to disable/enable wireless functions. 'o' means off, 'i' means
on, and '>>' starts the wifi catcher software if installed. make sure
it is set to 'i' and try again.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd620/en/UG/about.htm#wp1101922
otherwise it is entirely possible that the mini pci wireless card was
left out of your laptop or not installed correctly when it was
reassembled after the complete tear-down required to replace the
internal ac jack. you can check if the wireless card is installed with
these instructions...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd620/en/UG/parts.htm#wp1052598

again, start a new thread if you have further questions.
From: RnR on
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:11:26 -0700 (PDT), Yvon <yvongravel(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 5, 9:10�pm, "RnR" <rnrte...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 15:29:31 -0700 (PDT), Yvon <yvongra...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >My wife own an inspiron 1545 laptop. She upgraded the wireless card
>> >for an "N" card.
>> >It doesn't work anymore. I tried to uninstall the driver and install
>> >it again, I even tried a clean install of vista. Nothing worked. Right
>> >now she use a RJ45 cable to go on the net.
>> >The problem is, she need her laptop we can't send it to Dell even if
>> >it take only a week.
>> >My question is:
>> >Is this something we can fix ourself?
>> >Or is it on soldered on the mother board?
>>
>> >Thank you
>>
>> >Yvon
>>
>> You said that it doesn't work any more. � Can you explain how it
>> worked wihen it did work? �Were you using "n" std (protocol) then? �
>> N is a fairly new standard so I'm wondering if your router has this
>> capability? Bear in mind that draft N std is not the same as N std.
>>
>> The first two things that come to my mind if it worked on N before is
>> first to reboot. � If no luck, try taking down the firewall just to
>> see if it works then. �There are more things to check but at this
>> point, �just keep us posted.
>
>Thank you for your help.
>It was working with the N protocole before, I am using an Apple
>airport extreme as a router. The router work fine, the problem is not
>there. I did try to reset the modem and the router just in case and it
>didn't help.
>I tried to reboot, update the driver, format etc...
>Nothing work so far.

Can you ping the router?
From: John Novicki on

"Yvon" <yvongravel(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> My wife own an inspiron 1545 laptop. She upgraded the wireless card
> for an "N" card.
> It doesn't work anymore. I tried to uninstall the driver and install
> it again, I even tried a clean install of vista. Nothing worked. Right
> now she use a RJ45 cable to go on the net.
> The problem is, she need her laptop we can't send it to Dell even if
> it take only a week.
> My question is:
> Is this something we can fix ourself?
> Or is it on soldered on the mother board?
>
> Thank you
>
> Yvon

Not sure I follow, as you state that she upgraded the wireless card to an
"n" card. Was this done professionally? If not, they you should know how it
is attached to the motherboard. My suggestion would be to place the old
card back in and use that, especially since you know that worked before.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Vostro 3400 owners
Next: Is this BS