From: Ben Myers on
On 4/6/2010 3:24 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> Yvon wrote:
>> My wife own an inspiron 1545 laptop. She upgraded the wireless card
>> for an "N" card.
>> It doesn't work anymore. I tried to uninstall the driver and install
>> it again, I even tried a clean install of vista. Nothing worked. Right
>> now she use a RJ45 cable to go on the net.
>> The problem is, she need her laptop we can't send it to Dell even if
>> it take only a week.
>> My question is:
>> Is this something we can fix ourself?
>> Or is it on soldered on the mother board?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Yvon
>>

> let me see if i follow what you are saying...
> you have a inspiron 1545 laptop and a airport router.
> the laptop wireless worked with the airport until you replace the
> laptop's wireless card with a new card capable of 'n'.
> here are my thoughts:
> 1) if the laptop is unable to 'see' any wireless networks then it is
> highly likely that you did not correctly connect the small antenna wires
> to the new card.
> 2) if the laptop is able to 'see' the wireless network but refuses to
> connect then you likely have a compatibility problem between the new
> wireless card and the airport. you can test this by disabling all
> security from the airport and then see if you can connect. if you can
> connect after disabling security from the airport then look for firmware
> updates for your particular model airport as it may then be able to
> connect with the new wireless 'n' card with security enabled.
> 3) if neither of the above help then why not put back the original
> wireless card into this laptop to get the wireless working again. if
> that works then you could simply have a bad wireless n card.
> 4) if you installed the wireless card i don't think that dell would help
> you.
> Let us know what happens with regard to each of the above suggestions.

Back on topic again, if the OP follows Christopher Muto's suggestions
and there is no improvement, he might go into the Device Manager
settings for the 802.11n card and downgrade it to 802.11g, then see if
it works with the Airport. Some wifi access points and routers are not
smart enough to negotiate something less than 802.11n, simply because
they know nothing about it, having been manufactured way before even the
draft-N days... Ben Myers
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Vostro 3400 owners