From: RnR on
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 03:34:50 -0400, Christopher Muto
<muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Term Paper wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I just recently put a new power jack in my laptop.
>> Everything worked fine except for now my wireless does not work.
>> I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I keep getting an error that says
>> the radio is disabled.
>> I try to enable it and it does not save the setting. It reverts back to
>> disabled.
>>

>> 'Term Paper' (http://www.ghostpapers.com/)
>>

>do not reply to this thread again - start your own thread. don't hijack
>others.

Who made you the MODERATOR of this newsgroup?
From: Timothy Daniels on
"RnR" wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>
>>Term Paper wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I just recently put a new power jack in my laptop.
>>> Everything worked fine except for now my wireless does not work.
>>> I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I keep getting an error that says
>>> the radio is disabled.
>>> I try to enable it and it does not save the setting. It reverts back to
>>> disabled.
>>>

>>> 'Term Paper' (http://www.ghostpapers.com/)
>>>

>>do not reply to this thread again - start your own thread. don't hijack
>>others.
>>

> Who made you the MODERATOR of this newsgroup?

Regardless, Chris is right. The MAJOR value in a newsgroup reply
is for those legions of users who search for a solution to their
similar problem for what is sometimes years into the future. If a
thread is "highjacked", the answer to a problem may get buried in
answers to a different problem. If answers pertain to a particular
problem, all in their own correctly categorized thread, they become
solutions to future users' problems as well as the OP's. Think of
UseNet as a Google resource, and you'll understand.

*TimDaniels*

From: RnR on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:48:38 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<NoSpam(a)SpamMeKnot.biz> wrote:

>"RnR" wrote:
>> Christopher Muto wrote:

>>>do not reply to this thread again - start your own thread. don't hijack
>>>others.
>>>

>> Who made you the MODERATOR of this newsgroup?
>
>Regardless, Chris is right. The MAJOR value in a newsgroup reply
>is for those legions of users who search for a solution to their
>similar problem for what is sometimes years into the future. If a
>thread is "highjacked", the answer to a problem may get buried in
>answers to a different problem. If answers pertain to a particular
>problem, all in their own correctly categorized thread, they become
>solutions to future users' problems as well as the OP's. Think of
>UseNet as a Google resource, and you'll understand.
>
>*TimDaniels*

Tim, respectfully I disagree in practice. If you travel from
newsgroup to newsgroup you will see the same thing. That's the
nature of the beast in usenet quite often. Of course I'm speaking of
unmoderated groups. And as far as Google is concerned, it's quite
powerful using it's "command lines" and it can find and weed out a
lot in searches. I know this because I used it this week.
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Don't pay attention to Chris Muto as he thinks he is the moderator
> of this newsgroup.

Chris is technically correct. :-) It's not the usual way of things to
have another poster start their topic in an already established
discussion belonging to someone else. This is the one thing that is a
pretty well agreed upon constant on Usenet.

That's not as much a question of moderation as it is of readability.
In that vein, things get a lot more difficult when another poster
jumps in and poses a totally new question in an already existing
discussion thread...and that's assuming the threading stays intact! If
someone's news server misses a posting or three (not all that
uncommon) then things are really going to start looking off.

There are other reasons why this is bad form and should be avoided.
I'm sure you can think of them. :-)

The topic may in fact drift a little in an established thread, but
that is pretty common (in the groups I frequent) and so far as I know,
most people are OK with it.

The poster of this question should therefore start their own thread
for the best possible result.

"That is all."

William
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> My wife own an inspiron 1545 laptop. She upgraded the
> wireless card for an "N" card.

What wireless card was used? Who is the maker and what is the model #?

> I even tried a clean install of vista. Nothing worked.

The software is not likely to be the problem in that case.

> Is this something we can fix ourself?

Yes, put the original wireless card back into place.

> Or is it on soldered on the mother board?

I'm wondering if you really replaced the wireless card. No, it is not
soldered. It fits into a mini-PCI (or maybe even mini PCI express
these days) slot that is covered by a door on the bottom of the
computer.

If the wireless card had been replaced, you would have had to open
that door and physically remove (and later replace) a board.

If that didn't happen, the computer may now have two wireless network
devices in it, resulting in a hopelessly confused situation. One
should be disabled or removed in that case.

It is entirely possible that the wireless antennas built into the
computer may not be suitable for use with a Wireless "N" network. I
think the best thing to do would be to put the old card back into
place and use it.

William
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5