From: Dr_KralNOSPAM on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:00:46 +0000, Geoff <geoff(a)invalid.com> wrote in
<lkf5q5lti486cj98qnlvevqh63922vofk0(a)4ax.com>:

Geoff,

>Brilliant!
Since you're British, this is OK to say but in the US it means 'exceptional
intelligence' which this is not.

>Many thanks
You're welcome.

But remember the most important principle KISS.

I have found that it is easy to validate any single input -- strip white
space, check only valid characters, fix case, etc -- 'onblur' but when to
do a group of questions it is much harder since they may not be answered in
order. You probably have to check everything at submit time.

The problem that can occur is, e.g., say the answers are initially A, B,
and C which is valid. The respondent wants to change to X, Y, C which is
also valid. You don't want to interrupt and tell him that A, Y, C or X, B,
C is in error while he is still in that part of the form.

K.
From: Geoff on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:59:59 -0400, Dr_KralNOSPAM(a)nyc.rr.com wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:00:46 +0000, Geoff <geoff(a)invalid.com> wrote in
><lkf5q5lti486cj98qnlvevqh63922vofk0(a)4ax.com>:
>
>Geoff,
>
>>Brilliant!
>Since you're British, this is OK to say but in the US it means 'exceptional
>intelligence' which this is not.

OK!

I am still not sure how to implement you idea - could you have a look
at the shorter version which I have uploaded to

http://www.micro-active.com/a-wm2/a-sendData-simple.htm

When the user has answered say the user code question and wishes to go
back and change the name etc - how can this be done?

By the way in this shorter version I just display the results rather
than send them to the db.

Cheers

Geoff

From: Scott Sauyet on
Geoff wrote:
> I am still not sure how to implement you idea - could you have a look
> at the shorter version which I have uploaded to
>
> http://www.micro-active.com/a-wm2/a-sendData-simple.htm
>
> When the user has answered say the user code question and wishes to go
> back and change the name etc - how can this be done?

This is a bit off-topic, but I would suggest that you might want to
rethink this UI.

There are many alternatives that focus closely on the current question
but don't entirely hide all the previous questions and answers.

One I would not really suggest but which might be possible is to set
the document hash on each change, polling for changes to the hash,
using that to show the proper question. Then the user might be able
to use the browser's forward and backward buttons to switch questions.

Two other possibilities come to mind, though, that I think are
better. One is to keep a list of links to each previously answered
question visible on the page. When one is clicked, the user is
returned to that question, and the succeeding links are hidden. This
maintains at least a path backward through the questions. The other
possibility, and the one I think I prefer, is to keep all previously
answered questions visible, automatically scrolling to and somehow
highlighting the current one. When any earlier answer is changed,
recalculate which of the following ones need to be hidden and which
can be shown, scrolling down to the first unanswered visible
question. If that calculation is too onerous, then you can simply
hide all succeeding questions and make them go back through the
questions from that point; their previous answers should still be
captured in the form, so it's not too big a deal.

-- Scott
From: Dr_KralNOSPAM on
Geoff,

I'm sorry to say this but you are so busy being controlling everything --
the respondent, the display, etc -- that you make the form very hard to
fill out, annoying, insulting, and ironically impossible for you manage.

After seen the narrow display I though that you had considered that
students would be likely to use a mobile device so I tried it in Opera's
"small screen" mode. It was even worse.

If I make my window narrow the form disappears.

Fill-in box are too small for medical answers.

The result display is unreadable.

There is not any "go back and change the answers" functionality. I told
you how to do this the last time around.

You have drop down option lists when radio buttons are much easier for the
respondent to use.

I've looked at your website where you are advertising your services for
"Internet Consultancy" and your examples. There are many obvious errors.
Incidentally, it is no longer 2003.

Since this appears to be a project where you expect to collect a fee, it
does not seem fair to give you any more free assistance. What I have
already said should have been more than sufficient for a "professional".

K.

P.S. You are still trespassing on invalid.com.
From: Geoff on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 05:25:29 -0700 (PDT), Scott Sauyet
<scott.sauyet(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Geoff wrote:
>> I am still not sure how to implement you idea - could you have a look
>> at the shorter version which I have uploaded to
>>
>> http://www.micro-active.com/a-wm2/a-sendData-simple.htm
>>
>> When the user has answered say the user code question and wishes to go
>> back and change the name etc - how can this be done?
>
>This is a bit off-topic, but I would suggest that you might want to
>rethink this UI.

Thanks for your comments Scott - I will have to have a hard rethink!

Cheers

Geoff