From: Dr_KralNOSPAM on

>>I'm sorry to say this but you are so busy being controlling everything --
>>the respondent, the display, etc -- that you make the form very hard to
>>fill out, annoying, insulting, and ironically impossible for you manage.
>
>I thought the form is easy to fill out apart from the major problem of
>not being able to correct any answers. Is this the annoying part? Why
>insulting? Certainly not my intention.
Well, perhaps if it is for kindergarteners, it would be fine but then you
would not ask about medical history.

Do you know any kid that has not played games and used a mobile (cell)
phone? You are leading them thru stuff like they are idiots and making
them press enter and this and that. They can text with their eyes shut
during class.

>>There is not any "go back and change the answers" functionality. I told
>>you how to do this the last time around.
>I obviously haven't grasped that - will have another go!
Agreed.

>>You have drop down option lists when radio buttons are much easier for the
>>respondent to use.
>This is a matter or opinion and the researcher for whom this is
>written thinks otherwise!

As David said -- Don't let the client design the software!!!

Radio buttons are fast and easy. Drop down options are slow, hard to read
and select, and require many more key strokes.

Have respect for the RESPONDERS!! Minimize the time and effort required.

The form is like a paper shown in a window and you use ink and can't roll
it back. Sickening to me.

>>P.S. You are still trespassing on invalid.com.
Still - and requiring more effort by others to prevent improper e-mails.

From: Geoff on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:31:36 -0400, Dr_KralNOSPAM(a)nyc.rr.com wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:33:03 +0000, Geoff <geoff(a)invalid.com> wrote in
><8ru7q5l8uovs34990rgeap0bvs16c4de62(a)4ax.com>:
>
>>On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:02:55 -0400, Dr_KralNOSPAM(a)nyc.rr.com wrote:
>>>Incidentally, it is no longer 2003.
>>
>>Where did you find the 2003?!
>In the second example you give "Shop search". It is hard coded.

Thanks

Geoff

From: Geoff on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:55:26 -0400, Dr_KralNOSPAM(a)nyc.rr.com wrote:

K.

>>>There is not any "go back and change the answers" functionality. I told
>>>you how to do this the last time around.
>>I obviously haven't grasped that - will have another go!
>Agreed.

Whilst I am puzzling on this I have a simple form in which the data is
submitted at the end and of course it is easy for the user to change
anything.

What is not good is that say for question 13, a yes/no question in
which yes should require 13a to be answered, and no moves on to 14.
The user might complete both 13a and 14..

http://www.micro-active.com/a-wm2/a-q-student-table.htm

Notice again the data doesn't actually go into the db in this
particular example.

Cheers

Geoff
From: David Mark on
Dr_KralNOSPAM(a)nyc.rr.com wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:38:17 -0400, David Mark <dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com>
> wrote in <ho0uje$llt$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:
>

>> Yeah, I don't know why (seemingly) nobody tests with that (and I can't
>> seem to find the command in Opera 10, which is disappointing).
>
> Ah, ha! An easy question for a change.
> It is in the drop down menu for 'view' using "The Purloined Letter"

What?

> approach <lol> of hiding it as "small screen".

View | Small Screen is where it always was, but not in my latest copy of
Opera.

> It appears to ignore css
> and displays in a narrow width column.

It does not ignore CSS any more than projector view. The problem is tha
most sites use media="screen", which does not apply to handheld or
projector media. The trick is to use media="all" and then override with
the various other media-specific types (e.g print, aural, handheld).
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Dr_KralNOSPAM(a)nyc.rr.com wrote:

>>> P.S. You are still trespassing on invalid.com.
> Still - and requiring more effort by others to prevent improper e-mails.

Wasted effort. They are not going to learn the lesson if you keep replying
to them and helping them. I have therefore obvious address mungers
automatically killfiled, and add them manually to the list as I become aware
of further munging, after a hint to them.

That said, this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. You might
not know this, but *all* addresses must specify mailboxes, including that in
the From header field (RFC 5536 allows using the invalid TLD as an
alternative, but I would strongly advise against that). I have verified
that your From header field does not specify a mailbox, so consider yourself
soft-killfiled (I read only your followups to my postings) for the time
being.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>