From: ripped on

Db;4965697 Wrote:
> what you can try at
> the disk prompt via
> the recovery console
> is to run the following
> commands>:
>
> chkdsk /r
> fixboot
>
> then exit, remove cd
> and see if you can
> boot again.
>
> if you still cannot
> boot

Yes. Tried that. No joy.

Does anyone know how to get a new registry hive or boot up through a
master/slave configuration?

--
ripped
ripped's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/226683.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Jose on
On Jun 1, 9:33 pm, ripped <ripped.4bw...(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> Db;4965697 Wrote:
>
> > what you can try at
> > the disk prompt via
> > the recovery console
> > is to run the following
> > commands>:
>
> > chkdsk /r
> > fixboot
>
> > then exit, remove cd
> > and see if you can
> > boot again.
>
> > if you still cannot
> > boot
>
> Yes. Tried that. No joy.
>
> Does anyone know how to get a new registry hive or boot up through a
> master/slave configuration?
>
> --
> ripped
> ripped's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/226683.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1342267.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

IIf I were you, I would:

Put the drive back in the machine where it belongs (it needs to work
there - not in some other machine).

There is no part of KB307545 that says put the drive in another
machine and look at the System Volume Information folder - you do all
of KB307545 on the afflicted machine. You are not following the
article if you moved the drive to another machine.

Some of the things you are trying to do will not work like you might
think and they are not supposed to work like you might think/hope.

Make the Recovery Console CD like I suggested before so there is no
question about are you using the right tools

Do not boot the HP recovery partition.

Do not move the drive to another machine.

Boot on the Recovery Console CD you just made and run chkdsk /r until
it runs clean.

Since you have already futzed around with KB307545 there is no telling
what state things are in now.

KB307545 is written assuming you are running the XP Recovery Console
and have not moved the drive - not something else.

I have never used KB307545 to resolve the issue you describe, but it
really does work just fine if you follow the directions exactly But
it is not the first thing to do when you have the issue you
describe.

It is the first thing that will be suggested to you (not by me)
because when you perform a Google search, that is the link that comes
up for your symptom.

The first thing to do is boot Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r. The
article assumes your registry really is corrupt and chances are good
(or they were) that is not the problem at all in spite of what the
message says.

Since you started with KB307545, you might as well finish it up now -
start over at step one using the XP Recovery Console you made, run
chkdsk /r and then implement the KB307545.

After you did part one, what happens in part two? There is no step in
the process that says move the drive to another machine and look in
the SVI folder.

This is what sometimes happens when you just start trying things...

I think you can get it going if you stop trying things and start doing
things.
From: ripped on

From: ripped on

I ran a virus scan which claimed that pagefile.sys was infected and
deleted.
Now I have the repeating boot problem lsass doesn't like a password.
Tried the restore again just in case, still doesn't work.

Also now, Recovery Console says the admin password is wrong when I pick
that windows installation.

From: ripped on

I tried to run the restore cd's that were supposed to put it back to
original state. But they say they can't update the registry.
If I did a destructive restore, how do I get all my programs back that
have been installed in the last 7 years? And all their updates?
Reinstalling windows destroys everything else.