From: ripped on

I'm trying to find a way to restore windows xp. Registry doesn't load.
Best I can get is the Blue screen with Windows logo but no starting
message.
It began at shut down I think.

Just before that I shut down spybot and saw a message about unloading
the hives. It seemed stuck and I shut off the power.
Next day the System wouldn't load.

I tried saving the 5 config files and using the repair files. They
don't work.

I can get command console.
I tried to restore with HP's non-destructive but when it gets to the end
it says it couldn't update the registry files.

I can see all the files when I install the drive as a slave on another
pc with same system.

Is there any way to repair install the slave using the good pc?

--
ripped
ripped's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/226683.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Jose on
On May 30, 8:59 pm, ripped <ripped.4bs...(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to find a way to restore windows xp.  Registry doesn't load.
> Best I can get is the Blue screen with Windows logo but no starting
> message.
> It began at shut down I think.
>
> Just before that I shut down spybot and saw a message about unloading
> the hives.  It seemed stuck and I shut off the power.
> Next day the System wouldn't load.
>
> I tried saving the 5 config files and using the repair files.  They
> don't work.
>
> I can get command console.
> I tried to restore with HP's non-destructive but when it gets to the end
> it says it couldn't update the registry files.
>
> I can see all the files when I install the drive as a slave on another
> pc with same system.
>
> Is there any way to repair install the slave using the good pc?
>
> --
> ripped
> ripped's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/226683.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1342267.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

What is the error message you see?

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or
improper shutdown?

These can cause corruption in the file system which must be fixed
before you do anything else.

If any of those events have occurred (or even if they have not
occurred), you should verify the integrity of your file system before
doing anything else (especially "trying" things).

Use the XP Recovery Console to verify the file system on your HDD and
correct any problems and then try to boot your system - this may be
all you need to do. Or, you are welcome to just start trying things
that might work.

Boot into the Windows Recovery Console using a bootable XP
installation CD, or create on a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

This is not the same as any recovery disks that might have come a
store bought system. If you are not sure what kind of bootable CD you
have, make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD and be sure.

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available by following the directions in this link:

For each of your hard disk partitions, you should then run:

chkdsk /r

For example, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find. It may take
a long time to complete or appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the
HDD light is still flashing, it is doing something. Keep an eye on
the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress. It may
even appear to go backwards sometimes.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the
computer.
From: Peter Foldes on
How to Recover from a corrupted Registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q307545
--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: ripped on

I did run the chkdsk /r and it was fine.
A couple times.
I saved the five files in a separate folder.
The repair folder seems to be updating when I try things so it's not
much use.
I tried loading and unloading each of those original hive files while
the drive was in another windows pc. They go through that procedure
fine.

The system is HP with the recovery partition. I think original OS was
SP1 but I'm not sure. But of course no install disks.

When it starts now, after trying to restore, it tries to start windows
that says 1995-2001?.
It was after that attemped restore(s) that it said it could not update
the registry.

At one point I tried the BOOTCFG /rebuild
Fixboot

At this point there is no error message on boot up, it just sits at the
first blue screen with the windows logo.

Also, is it different to run the recovery console from a CD than from
the hard drive? I can boot into that right from the hard drive.

From: Db on
you might try booting up
the diagnostic boot menu
and see if you can use the