From: Nick Balestra on
Not really i think, because by replying it just direct reply to the OP, while other systems like google groups for example by replying you just post to the list, and actually make more sense.

the easy way is to hit reply and change the "to" into php-general(a)lists.php.net or reply to all and replace "to" with the "cc". I think the best practice is to take this 5 second to take care of this in order to avoid duplicate message to others.

cheers

Nick

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 13:00 +0200, Nick Balestra wrote:

> Not really i think, because by replying it just direct reply to the OP, while other systems like google groups for example by replying you just post to the list, and actually make more sense.
>
> the easy way is to hit reply and change the "to" into php-general(a)lists.php.net or reply to all and replace "to" with the "cc". I think the best practice is to take this 5 second to take care of this in order to avoid duplicate message to others.
>
> cheers
>
> Nick
>
> On Apr 21, 2010, at 12:45 PM, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
>
> > Exactly.
> > :)
> >
> > Karl
> >
> > On Apr 21, 2010, at 5:38 AM, David McGlone wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe it's not how the list is set up, but instead how people are
> >> replying to the list.
> >
> > Karl DeSaulniers
> > Design Drumm
> > http://designdrumm.com
> >

> > --
the php-general one. It makes sense really to me, as the email is coming
from the person who wrote it, and it's behaving as if we're just bcc'd
in as a list. I think the fault is with the email clients that don't
understand mailing lists.

Incidentally, I saw someone mention the Evolution email client in this
thread. It's what I use, and it does have a reply to list option (but I
tend to be a bit lazy and hit reply to all as the option is in a menu
and not on the toolbar :-/ )

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Peter Lind on
On 21 April 2010 12:38, David McGlone <david(a)dmcentral.net> wrote:
> Maybe it's not how the list is set up, but instead how people are
> replying to the list.

One would think that in a tech world where most programmers/developers
try to minimize the workload and "a good programmer is lazy" is seen
as meaningful and/or true, more people would get annoyed with having
to spend 5 seconds manually copying an email address from one field to
another when there is in fact a solution to this problem (and has been
for a very long time): proper setup of the mailing list with a
'reply-to' field. (and no, I don't think the possibilities of a
misconfigured OoO/autoreply is worth the hassle to the amount of
people using this mailing list - there are mail filters for things
like that).

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: David Robley on
Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 13:00 +0200, Nick Balestra wrote:
>
>> Not really i think, because by replying it just direct reply to the OP,
>> while other systems like google groups for example by replying you just
>> post to the list, and actually make more sense.
>>
>> the easy way is to hit reply and change the "to" into
>> php-general(a)lists.php.net or reply to all and replace "to" with the "cc".
>> I think the best practice is to take this 5 second to take care of this
>> in order to avoid duplicate message to others.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2010, at 12:45 PM, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
>>
>> > Exactly.
>> > :)
>> >
>> > Karl

>> > Karl DeSaulniers
>> > Design Drumm
>> > http://designdrumm.com
>> >

>> > --
> the php-general one. It makes sense really to me, as the email is coming
> from the person who wrote it, and it's behaving as if we're just bcc'd
> in as a list. I think the fault is with the email clients that don't
> understand mailing lists.
>
> Incidentally, I saw someone mention the Evolution email client in this
> thread. It's what I use, and it does have a reply to list option (but I
> tend to be a bit lazy and hit reply to all as the option is in a menu
> and not on the toolbar :-/ )
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

This is an oldie but I think it is still a goodie in respect of this
discussion.

Cheers
--
David Robley

On an electrician's truck: Let Us Remove Your Shorts
Today is Sweetmorn, the 38th day of Discord in the YOLD 3176.

From: Robert Cummings on

Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
> Hi,
> I think the problem or the bad form, if you will, is using reply-all.
> All you need to do is hit reply and it should just send a message
> back to the list. Everyone gets the list messages.
> If the reply-to is not set, type in the list email in the to and the
> reply-to in your message
> and that should set the stage for a reply-to to be present in the
> thread.
> I for one don't know how many email duplicates I have had to delete
> because someone hit reply-all.
> Gets messy on big threads, but I manage.
>
> Be nice if that wasn't so. :)

I like the reply-all option. When someone uses it for a thread in which
I am active and for a message to which I've responded then I generally
get their response before the list sends it... not that the list is slow
by any measure from my end.

Cheers,
Rob.
--