From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: David Robley
> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 13:00 +0200, Nick Balestra wrote:
>>
>>> Not really i think, because by replying it just direct reply to the
OP,
>>> while other systems like google groups for example by replying you
just
>>> post to the list, and actually make more sense.
>>>
>>> the easy way is to hit reply and change the "to" into
>>> php-general(a)lists.php.net or reply to all and replace "to" with the
"cc".
>>> I think the best practice is to take this 5 second to take care of
this
>>> in order to avoid duplicate message to others.

>> I'm only on one other mailing list, but it behaves exactly the same
as
>> the php-general one. It makes sense really to me, as the email is
coming
>> from the person who wrote it, and it's behaving as if we're just
bcc'd
>> in as a list. I think the fault is with the email clients that don't
>> understand mailing lists.
>>
>> Incidentally, I saw someone mention the Evolution email client in
this
>> thread. It's what I use, and it does have a reply to list option (but
>> tend to be a bit lazy and hit reply to all as the option is in a menu
>> and not on the toolbar :-/ )
>
> This is an oldie but I think it is still a goodie in respect of this
> discussion.

I have a couple of problems with that article. First, he still
references RFC822 a year and a half after it was superseded by RFC2822.
So he is already out of step with reality. (RFC2822 was itself
superseded by RFC5322 on Oct 1, 2008.)

Second, I don't agree with his definition of a reasonable mailer. He
recommends several processes that do not sound at all reasonable to me.
But I have only been using email for 27 years, so what do I know.

Third, and most importantly, he obviously had never dealt with a PHB
that required him to use a specific OS, mail client and servers that by
design will never be reasonable by anybody's definition. Many of us
simply don't get a choice.

I just did a quick check of the half dozen mailing lists I subscribe to
here at work, and they are split 50/50 on whether Reply goes back to the
list or the OP. So I suspect a consensus is unlikely.

Bob McConnell
From: Robert Cummings on
David McGlone wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 11:34 +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:
>> On 21 April 2010 11:23, David McGlone <david(a)dmcentral.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Why is the list set up to reply to the OP and not the list?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Blessings,
>>> David M.
>>>

>> Is it? I didn't notice. I just use "reply to all" which puts the list in the
>> CC, and that works just fine for me.
>
> reply to all works, but then we end up with 2 messages, and if you have
> your mail client set up to filter mail into folders, then each message
> ends up in 2 different places.

Improve your filter. I match on the message subject line looking for
[PHP] and route it to my PHP general folder.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello David McGlone,

> Why is the list set up to reply to the OP and not the list?

Because a "Reply-To-List Button" exist in Evolution! :-D

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator

itsystems(a)tdnet France itsystems(a)tdnet UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Gesch. Michelle Konzack Gesch. Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle(a)jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Ashley Sheridan,

> Incidentally, I saw someone mention the Evolution email client in this
> thread. It's what I use,

..and the OP!

> and it does have a reply to list option (but I

Thanks for the confirmation...

> tend to be a bit lazy and hit reply to all as the option is in a menu
> and not on the toolbar :-/ )

Can you not adapt the toolbar?

From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello David McGlone,

> I use Evolution, Kmail, and occasionally lookout and all of them are
> decent e-mail clients. Also, of all the mailing lists I am on, this is
> the only one that, when replying it goes to the OP and not the list.

This is realy weird, because I know only 5 lists of 113 (where I am on)
which are mangeling the Reply-To: and I can not simply reply per PM.

> I'm not trying to solicit a change, I'm just wondering why this list has
> this behavior, which in my opinion is tedious.

I have three Reply options:

R Reply to Poster
G Reply to Group
L Reply to List

and there is nothing wrong with it... It is called VERY decent MUA.

Note: I hate peoples sending me Cc: on my Cell-Phone exspecialy
List-Messages which I read from my private archive.