From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Sun, 16 May 2010 13:03:01 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Due to the merge, we are going to have the new email domain name
>ex:newcompany.com
>
>If we need to use the newcompany.com for both company's primary email
>address domain (that means everyone in both comany will have primary email
>address fistinitial&lastname(a)newcompnay.com), what is the right way or
>effective way to do this? (I thought to change MX record to allow my mail
>server to accept emails for @newcompany.com and then ask the other company to
>use our email server as a smart host) and can we allow two companies to
>accept emails for the same domain @newcompnay.com??

For how long to you think you'll be operating two different e-mail
systems?

You could share the address space between the two organizations, but
that means that you'll have to accept all email delivered to your
organization. That could get you on several DNSBLs.

You could give everyone a new primary SMTP address (keeping their old
SMTP address) and synchronize the directories, assigning the "other"
company's old domain as the target address in the Contacts. Now
everyone sends using the new domain and all mail to the new domain
goes to just one of the two Exchange orgainzations. That organization,
via the Contacts, sends the mail to either a local mailbox or to the
other e-mail system.

Or you could create disabled users in one AD forest to represent the
people on the other forest, and then move the mailboxes to one of the
e-mail systems. With your forest trust they'd still log on using their
original accounts but they'd connect to a mailbox in the other forest
and have to log on to their mailbox.

You didn't say how may mailboxes are involved in this merger. If the
number's small you'd probably be better off planning for a "big-bang"
where everything's merged over a weekend. Managing multiple e-mail
systems (and Active Directories) will prove to be a problem, first
right after the merger, and then again when you move to a single
system.

I've been through a number of these over the years (both adding other
companies, removing parts of the company, and being acquired by
another comany). They're never pretty and never as clean and easy (or
as quick) as they're made out to be.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: ed on
Rich,

Thank you for your detailed help and time. I really appreciate your support.
This is the first merger project I am dealing with. Right now, it's the
very beginning phase and do not know how long it will take. probably we have
to do forest trust first and let two exchange systems run for a while and
later consolidate into the single one.

> You didn't say how may mailboxes are involved in this merger.
Other company has about 600 users and we have about 800 users.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

From: ed on
BTW, do you see any problem during the co-exist period since we use exchange
2003 and they use exchange 2007? Thanks again.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 09:13:01 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Rich,
>
>Thank you for your detailed help and time. I really appreciate your support.
>This is the first merger project I am dealing with. Right now, it's the
>very beginning phase and do not know how long it will take.

If this is your first then whatever length you estimate will be way
too short. :-)

>probably we have
>to do forest trust first and let two exchange systems run for a while and
>later consolidate into the single one.

You'd better get the details of how you're going to manage directory
synchronization settled quickly. That's going to be the key to making
the two systems interoperate.

>> You didn't say how may mailboxes are involved in this merger.
>Other company has about 600 users and we have about 800 users.

That's not a lot of mailboxes. The last move from one organization to
another (going from E2K3 to E2K7) we were moving about 400 mailboxes a
day from Mexico to Massachusetts (network latency was about 150ms
which slowed things a bit, as did a pretty busy network segment in one
part of the network). The point here is that you can complete the
movement of your mailboxes pretty quickly. Public Folders may take a
while -- you didn't say how many of them (or their size) there were,
but that's part of the Inter-Org Replication Tool that you'll also
need to get F/B working.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 11:10:01 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>BTW, do you see any problem during the co-exist period since we use exchange
>2003 and they use exchange 2007? Thanks again.

No, I don't.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP