From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:30:20 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Rich,
>
>Words can not express my appreciation for the help I got. Thank you.
>After reading more and testing on two methods of 3 you proposed:
>
>Method1 - the shared SMTP address:
>> You could share the address space between the two organizations, but
>> that means that you'll have to accept all email delivered to your
>> organization. That could get you on several DNSBLs.
>Here are what I did:
>Here are steps I did on both exchange organizations:
>
>1)create one recipient policy with address space @ab.com in both
>organizations and make it nonauthoritative "This Exchange Organization is
>sresponsible for all mail delivery to this address" is NOT set

>2) Create SMTP connector defined called "abshare" where the "Forward all
>mail through this connector to the following smart host" set to the
>ip-address of another company's exchange 2003 frontend server" and Address
>space is set to ab.com and the "Allow messages to be relayed to these
>domains" is set to ON.
>
>Test:
>>From company A to compnay B or B to A
>email flow are fine
>
>>From company A or compnay B' users to external domains (like yahoo.com)
>email flows are fine
>
>>from external (yahoo.com) to company A or company B users (Inbound mails)
>To company A - fine
>to compnay B - FAILED

I'm not sure what the destination domain was when you sent the mail.
Was it "B(a)B.com" or "B(a)AB.com"? And I don't know how many MX records
you have, or which servers are referenced by them.

>I do not know why external domain (yahoo.com) to company B users for this
>shared SMTP address failed and the only difference is that ab.com MX record
>points to company A's exchange server?

What was the reason for the failure?

If serverA can't find user B(a)AB.com it should send the message to
serverB (using the SMTP Connector with the address space "ab.com".

>If I add a contact for company B user in company A, mails from external
>(yahoo.com) to company B users are fine.

If you're going to provide a unified address book in both
organizations you're going to have to do this anyway.

>Method 2 -
>> You could give everyone a new primary SMTP address (keeping their old
>> SMTP address) and synchronize the directories, assigning the "other"
>> company's old domain as the target address in the Contacts. Now
>> everyone sends using the new domain and all mail to the new domain
>> goes to just one of the two Exchange orgainzations. That organization,
>> via the Contacts, sends the mail to either a local mailbox or to the
>> other e-mail system.
>>
>Plus the detailed info you gave on 5/10 reply. Great thanks.
>
>From my testing, If I just add contacts for company A users or From company
>B users in Company B or company A, I still can not send both company's users
>with the new email address ab.com.
>to get it to work, I have to use shared SMTP address to make ab.com
>nonauthoriative.
>
>From my testing, I have to combine two methods to get them work.
>Do I missing something?

Possibly.

If you add contacts for users in company A to the e-mail system in
company B, then the contact's targetAddress should be in A.com and the
secondary SMTP proxy address should be in the AB.com domain.

Now e-mail sent to user A by users in company B will be send to
A(a)A.com. You'll have a SMTP Connector in company B that has A.com in
its address space and forwards the mail to company A's Front-End
servers.

Is this what you've done?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: ed on
Thank you very much and inline...

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:30:20 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Rich,
> >
> >Words can not express my appreciation for the help I got. Thank you.
> >After reading more and testing on two methods of 3 you proposed:
> >
> >Method1 - the shared SMTP address:
> >> You could share the address space between the two organizations, but
> >> that means that you'll have to accept all email delivered to your
> >> organization. That could get you on several DNSBLs.
> >Here are what I did:
> >Here are steps I did on both exchange organizations:
> >
> >1)create one recipient policy with address space @ab.com in both
> >organizations and make it nonauthoritative "This Exchange Organization is
> >sresponsible for all mail delivery to this address" is NOT set
>
> >2) Create SMTP connector defined called "abshare" where the "Forward all
> >mail through this connector to the following smart host" set to the
> >ip-address of another company's exchange 2003 frontend server" and Address
> >space is set to ab.com and the "Allow messages to be relayed to these
> >domains" is set to ON.
> >
> >Test:
> >>From company A to compnay B or B to A
> >email flow are fine
> >
> >>From company A or compnay B' users to external domains (like yahoo.com)
> >email flows are fine
> >
> >>from external (yahoo.com) to company A or company B users (Inbound mails)
> >To company A - fine
> >to compnay B - FAILED
>
> I'm not sure what the destination domain was when you sent the mail.
> Was it "B(a)B.com" or "B(a)AB.com"? And I don't know how many MX records
> you have, or which servers are referenced by them.

Sorry and I mean b(a)ab.com and one MX record. ab.com MX record point to
company A's mail appliance

> >I do not know why external domain (yahoo.com) to company B users for this
> >shared SMTP address failed and the only difference is that ab.com MX record
> >points to company A's exchange server?
>
> What was the reason for the failure?
>
> If serverA can't find user B(a)AB.com it should send the message to
> serverB (using the SMTP Connector with the address space "ab.com".

That's what I thought. it only happenes when external users(like yahoo etc)
send emails to b(a)ab.com and I checked the mail appliance log and it says it
failed LDAP query and I got the failure delievery report in my yahoo email
too and do not know why it did not use the ab.com connector when external
users send it to b(a)ab.com

But, it works fine when users in the company A to send emails b(a)ab.com

> >If I add a contact for company B user in company A, mails from external
> >(yahoo.com) to company B users are fine.
>
> If you're going to provide a unified address book in both
> organizations you're going to have to do this anyway.
>
> >Method 2 -
> >> You could give everyone a new primary SMTP address (keeping their old
> >> SMTP address) and synchronize the directories, assigning the "other"
> >> company's old domain as the target address in the Contacts. Now
> >> everyone sends using the new domain and all mail to the new domain
> >> goes to just one of the two Exchange orgainzations. That organization,
> >> via the Contacts, sends the mail to either a local mailbox or to the
> >> other e-mail system.
> >>
> >Plus the detailed info you gave on 5/10 reply. Great thanks.
> >
> >From my testing, If I just add contacts for company A users or From company
> >B users in Company B or company A, I still can not send both company's users
> >with the new email address ab.com.
> >to get it to work, I have to use shared SMTP address to make ab.com
> >nonauthoriative.
> >
> >From my testing, I have to combine two methods to get them work.
> >Do I missing something?
>
> Possibly.
>
> If you add contacts for users in company A to the e-mail system in
> company B, then the contact's targetAddress should be in A.com and the
> secondary SMTP proxy address should be in the AB.com domain.
>
> Now e-mail sent to user A by users in company B will be send to
> A(a)A.com. You'll have a SMTP Connector in company B that has A.com in
> its address space and forwards the mail to company A's Front-End
> servers.
>
> Is this what you've done?

What about if users in company B send emails to a(a)ab.com or users in company
A send emails to b(a)ab.com? what about the external users try to send emails
to users a(a)ab.com or b(a)ab.com?
I guess that I have to create the SMTP connector for ab.com in each company
and make it unauthorriative as users in both companies have ab.com as the
primary email address.

I guess that I must miss something?

THNAK YOU!

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:14:34 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

[ snip ]

>> >Test:
>> >email flow are fine

>> >email flows are fine

>> >To company A - fine
>> >to compnay B - FAILED
>>
>> I'm not sure what the destination domain was when you sent the mail.
>> Was it "B(a)B.com" or "B(a)AB.com"? And I don't know how many MX records
>> you have, or which servers are referenced by them.
>
>Sorry and I mean b(a)ab.com and one MX record. ab.com MX record point to
>company A's mail appliance
>

>> >I do not know why external domain (yahoo.com) to company B users for this
>> >shared SMTP address failed and the only difference is that ab.com MX record
>> >points to company A's exchange server?
>>
>> What was the reason for the failure?
>>
>> If serverA can't find user B(a)AB.com it should send the message to
>> serverB (using the SMTP Connector with the address space "ab.com".
>
>That's what I thought. it only happenes when external users(like yahoo etc)
>send emails to b(a)ab.com and I checked the mail appliance log and it says it
>failed LDAP query

Ahhhh . . . and what properties does the appliance include in that
LDAP query? Can you post the LDAP query? Also, is it querying a GC?
Are there more than one AD domain in your AD forest? Has the GC been
given sufficient time to receive the new information? This doesn't
sound like an Exchange problem but more of an AD problem.

If you execute the same LDAP query in LDP.exe does it find the AD User
object?

>and I got the failure delievery report in my yahoo email
>too and do not know why it did not use the ab.com connector when external
>users send it to b(a)ab.com

If the appliance is rejecting the address as invalid then it never
reaches the Exchange servers.

>But, it works fine when users in the company A to send emails b(a)ab.com

>> >If I add a contact for company B user in company A, mails from external
>> >(yahoo.com) to company B users are fine.
>>
>> If you're going to provide a unified address book in both
>> organizations you're going to have to do this anyway.
>>
>> >Method 2 -
>> >>
>> >Plus the detailed info you gave on 5/10 reply. Great thanks.
>> >
>> >From my testing, If I just add contacts for company A users or From company
>> >B users in Company B or company A, I still can not send both company's users
>> >with the new email address ab.com.
>> >to get it to work, I have to use shared SMTP address to make ab.com
>> >nonauthoriative.
>> >
>> >From my testing, I have to combine two methods to get them work.
>> >Do I missing something?
>>
>> Possibly.
>>
>> If you add contacts for users in company A to the e-mail system in
>> company B, then the contact's targetAddress should be in A.com and the
>> secondary SMTP proxy address should be in the AB.com domain.
>>
>> Now e-mail sent to user A by users in company B will be send to
>> A(a)A.com. You'll have a SMTP Connector in company B that has A.com in
>> its address space and forwards the mail to company A's Front-End
>> servers.
>>
>> Is this what you've done?
>
>What about if users in company B send emails to a(a)ab.com or users in company
>A send emails to b(a)ab.com? what about the external users try to send emails
>to users a(a)ab.com or b(a)ab.com?

If you have a mail-enabled Contact for the user in the "other"
company:

user in company B sends e-mail to a(a)AB.com: since a(a)AB.com is a
secondary SMTP proxy address on that contact the e-mail will be sent
to the targetAddress (a(a)A.com)

external e-mail sent to a(a)AB.com or b(a)AB.com: what happens depends on
which orgainzation is receiving the inbound e-mail. If you have the
mail-enabled Contacts in both organizations the address is resolved to
either a mailbox-enabled user and delivered to the mailbox, or it
resolves to a mail-enabled Contact and is redirected to the "other"
company (using the Contact's targetAddress).

>I guess that I have to create the SMTP connector for ab.com in each company
>and make it unauthorriative as users in both companies have ab.com as the
>primary email address.

If you use the mail-enabled Contacts you don't need that "shared
address space" connector. Both organizations can be authoritative for
the AB.com address space since both of them will have a complete set
of addresses in both companies.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: ed on

Rich,

Great thanks.

inline...

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:14:34 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

> [ snip ]

> >> I'm not sure what the destination domain was when you sent the mail.
> >> Was it "B(a)B.com" or "B(a)AB.com"? And I don't know how many MX records
> >> you have, or which servers are referenced by them.
> >
> >Sorry and I mean b(a)ab.com and one MX record. ab.com MX record point to
> >company A's mail appliance

> >> What was the reason for the failure?
> >>
> >> If serverA can't find user B(a)AB.com it should send the message to
> >> serverB (using the SMTP Connector with the address space "ab.com".
> >
> >That's what I thought. it only happenes when external users(like yahoo etc)
> >send emails to b(a)ab.com and I checked the mail appliance log and it says it
> >failed LDAP query
>
> Ahhhh . . . and what properties does the appliance include in that
> LDAP query? Can you post the LDAP query? Also, is it querying a GC?
> Are there more than one AD domain in your AD forest? Has the GC been
> given sufficient time to receive the new information? This doesn't
> sound like an Exchange problem but more of an AD problem.
>
> If you execute the same LDAP query in LDP.exe does it find the AD User
> object?
>
> >and I got the failure delievery report in my yahoo email
> >too and do not know why it did not use the ab.com connector when external
> >users send it to b(a)ab.com
>
> If the appliance is rejecting the address as invalid then it never
> reaches the Exchange servers.

the appliance checks the domain controllers and now, I bypassed LDAP check
on the appliance. But, when I send emails from yahoo.com to users at company
B with @ab.com, I got the userb(a)ab.com bounced by destination server. Reason:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error ('550', ['5.1.1 User unknown'])

What might I miss?

> >But, it works fine when users in the company A to send emails b(a)ab.com

> >> If you're going to provide a unified address book in both
> >> organizations you're going to have to do this anyway.

> >> Possibly.
> >>
> >> If you add contacts for users in company A to the e-mail system in
> >> company B, then the contact's targetAddress should be in A.com and the
> >> secondary SMTP proxy address should be in the AB.com domain.
> >>
> >> Now e-mail sent to user A by users in company B will be send to
> >> A(a)A.com. You'll have a SMTP Connector in company B that has A.com in
> >> its address space and forwards the mail to company A's Front-End
> >> servers.
> >>
> >> Is this what you've done?
> >
> >What about if users in company B send emails to a(a)ab.com or users in company
> >A send emails to b(a)ab.com? what about the external users try to send emails
> >to users a(a)ab.com or b(a)ab.com?
>
> If you have a mail-enabled Contact for the user in the "other"
> company:
>
> user in company B sends e-mail to a(a)AB.com: since a(a)AB.com is a
> secondary SMTP proxy address on that contact the e-mail will be sent
> to the targetAddress (a(a)A.com)
>
> external e-mail sent to a(a)AB.com or b(a)AB.com: what happens depends on
> which orgainzation is receiving the inbound e-mail. If you have the
> mail-enabled Contacts in both organizations the address is resolved to
> either a mailbox-enabled user and delivered to the mailbox, or it
> resolves to a mail-enabled Contact and is redirected to the "other"
> company (using the Contact's targetAddress).
>

> >I guess that I have to create the SMTP connector for ab.com in each company
> >and make it unauthorriative as users in both companies have ab.com as the
> >primary email address.
>
> If you use the mail-enabled Contacts you don't need that "shared
> address space" connector. Both organizations can be authoritative for
> the AB.com address space since both of them will have a complete set
> of addresses in both companies.
> ---

Method 2 works beautifully now with your help.

Is there a way to add the secondary SMTP address globally for all other
company's contacts with @ab.com?

About GAL sync, I followed this link
http://msmvps.com/blogs/clustering/archive/2004/10/06/15141.aspx but no
contacts imported. When I ran the export, all statistics are shown as "0".
What might I miss?

THANK YOU!

From: ed on
About the GALsync and these are exact steps I did as the link:

Forest A Forest B

Create galsync account Create galsync account

Create OU ForestB Create OU ForestA

Create OU contacts under ForestB Create OU contacts under
ForestA

Assigned permission as specified Assigned permission as
specified

Create ForestA GAL MA Create ForestB GAL MA

Target container: Target
container:

Ou=Contacts, OU=forestB, DC=forestA OU=Contacts, OU=forestA,
DC=forestB

Source container: Source
container:

OU=IT, DC=ForestA
OU=Finance, DC=ForestB

Run the Full Import with staging for ForestA GAL MA and ForestB GAL MA

Run delta synchronization for the ForestA GAL MA and ForestB GAL MA

Run the export for ForestA GAL MA and ForestB GAL MA

______________________

I can not see the forest A users in the created contacts OU of forest B or
can not

see the forest B users in the created contacts OU of forest A.

I tried to troubleshoot this for several day already but still can not get
this

to work.

(For two forest with a two-way trust, I only need IIFP on one forest, right?

the end result should be forest A users shown as contacts in the forest B,

and forest B users shown as contacts in the forest A)

What might I miss?

THANK YOU!