From: ed on
Rich,

It has been a while now. Sorry to bother yo again.
>You could share the address space between the two organizations, but
>that means that you'll have to accept all email delivered to your
>organization. That could get you on several DNSBLs.

right now, we use a.com as our email domain; they use b.com as their email
domain. suppose that the new company domain is ab.com

In one month, we are going to use the ab.com for both companies' users and
still keep two seperate email systems. How should I achieve this?

>You could give everyone a new primary SMTP address (keeping their old
>SMTP address) and synchronize the directories, assigning the "other"
>company's old domain as the target address in the Contacts. Now
>everyone sends using the new domain and all mail to the new domain
>goes to just one of the two Exchange orgainzations. That organization,
>via the Contacts, sends the mail to either a local mailbox or to the
>other e-mail system.
-
Do I have to create a contact for EVERY USER OF other company? What about MX
record (mail.ab.com) that should point to? Both companies' exchange server
(create A record with two different IPs?

Thank you and really appreciate your answers.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/planning-architecture/exchange-2007-smtp-namespace-sharing-different-relay-domain-types.html

>>You could give everyone a new primary SMTP address (keeping their old
>>SMTP address) and synchronize the directories, assigning the "other"
>>company's old domain as the target address in the Contacts. Now
>>everyone sends using the new domain and all mail to the new domain
>>goes to just one of the two Exchange orgainzations. That organization,
>>via the Contacts, sends the mail to either a local mailbox or to the
>>other e-mail system.
>-
>Do I have to create a contact for EVERY USER OF other company?

Well, ask how you're going to maintain a unified address book if you
don't -- or deal with F/B information!

>What about MX
>record (mail.ab.com) that should point to?

If you want to preserve your sanity, pick one Exchange organization to
be the entry point for the e-mail.

>Both companies' exchange server
>(create A record with two different IPs?

I wouldn't do that.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: ed on
Rich,

Thanks for your help. Inline...

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:32:43 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Rich,
> >
> >It has been a while now. Sorry to bother yo again.
> >>You could share the address space between the two organizations, but
> >>that means that you'll have to accept all email delivered to your
> >>organization. That could get you on several DNSBLs.
> >
> >right now, we use a.com as our email domain; they use b.com as their email
> >domain. suppose that the new company domain is ab.com
> >
> >In one month, we are going to use the ab.com for both companies' users and
> >still keep two seperate email systems. How should I achieve this?
>
> http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/planning-architecture/exchange-2007-smtp-namespace-sharing-different-relay-domain-types.html

I checked this link and not sure my situation is same as the link mentioned.
We are going to use the new domain ab.com for every user of both companies
and also keep the seperate two exchange systems as before to accept a.com
and b.com.
I thought to use our exchange server as the entry point to accept emails
ab.com. for both companies. For our companies and it's simple and create the
recepient policy and update the email address. But, how do I forward ab.com
emails for other company to their users? When they send emails out, can they
send out emails through their exchange server?

> >>You could give everyone a new primary SMTP address (keeping their old
> >>SMTP address) and synchronize the directories, assigning the "other"
> >>company's old domain as the target address in the Contacts. Now
> >>everyone sends using the new domain and all mail to the new domain
> >>goes to just one of the two Exchange orgainzations. That organization,
> >>via the Contacts, sends the mail to either a local mailbox or to the
> >>other e-mail system.

Sorry. I have to ask you again. Still try to figure out your solution.
1) give both companies' users the new primary SMTP address and definetely
keep old address

2) >assigning the "other" company's old domain as the target address in the
>>Contacts.
you mean that ex: in my company, create other company user contact to use
b.com instead of using ab.com or can you create one contact to use *@b.com???

3)> >>everyone sends using the new domain and all mail to the new domain
> >>goes to just one of the two Exchange orgainzations

4) >>That organization,
> >>via the Contacts, sends the mail to either a local mailbox or to the
> >>other e-mail system.

I still could not figure out this. the contacts that have old email address
b.com and how could it be delivered to the other company's users for email
address ab.com since the other company also change ab.com for users' primary
email address??

I must miss something.

Appreciate your time and support.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 19:47:28 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Rich,
>
>Thanks for your help. Inline...
>

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:32:43 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Rich,
>> >
>> >It has been a while now. Sorry to bother yo again.
>> >
>> >right now, we use a.com as our email domain; they use b.com as their email
>> >domain. suppose that the new company domain is ab.com
>> >
>> >In one month, we are going to use the ab.com for both companies' users and
>> >still keep two seperate email systems. How should I achieve this?
>>
>> http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/planning-architecture/exchange-2007-smtp-namespace-sharing-different-relay-domain-types.html
>
>I checked this link and not sure my situation is same as the link mentioned.
>We are going to use the new domain ab.com for every user of both companies
>and also keep the seperate two exchange systems as before to accept a.com
>and b.com.

A.com and b.com don't need to be shared, so they aren't a problem.
They'll both continue operating independantly.

Ab.com will be shared between the two organizations, so this is what
you should be concentrating on. Does the article apply to ab.com?

>I thought to use our exchange server as the entry point to accept emails
>ab.com. for both companies.

Ok.

>For our companies and it's simple and create the
>recepient policy and update the email address.

You'll create TWO policies -- one in each organization.

>But, how do I forward ab.com
>emails for other company to their users?

The inflow server cannot be authoritative for the domain ab.com. Any
e-mail it accepts and cannot deliver must be sent to the other
organization. If the mail cannot be delivered there then a NDR must be
sent.

But, if you're going to have a nidied address book, you'll have
mail-enabled users (or contacts) in each organization representing the
mailboxes in the other organization. Now you have a different problem.
The targetAddress on those objects can't be the user(a)AB.com address,
it must be the user(a)A.com or user(a)B.com (depend on which organization
holds the mailbox). The mail-enabled user (or contact) has a secondary
SMTP proxy address of user(a)AB.com. Now, since BOTH organizations have
a full set of addresses, either (or both) can be the SMTP inflow
system. What you'll need is a send connector with an address space of
A.com or B.com that sends e-mail addressed to the other organization
directly to the other organization (avoiding the use of MX records and
the Internet).

>When they send emails out, can they
>send out emails through their exchange server?

They can, but they don't have to. That's a policy decision you'll have
to make.

>Sorry. I have to ask you again. Still try to figure out your solution.
>1) give both companies' users the new primary SMTP address and definetely
>keep old address

CompanyA
USERA (Mailbox -- mailbox at companyA)
SMTP:A.companyAB.com
smtp:A.companyA.com

USERB (Contact -- mailbox at companyB)
smtp:B.companyAB.com
smtp:B(a)companyA.com
targetAddress = SMTP:B(a)companyB.com

CompanyB
USERA (Contact -- mailbox at companyA)
smtp:A(a)companyAB.com
smtp:A(a)companyB.com
targetAddress = SMTP:A(a)companyA.com

USERB (Mailbox -- mailbox at companyB)
SMTP:B(a)companyAB.com
smtp:B(a)companyB.com

From companyA
Mail sent to A(a)companyA.com or A(a)companyAB.com is delivered to the
mailbox in companyA
Mail sent to B(a)companyA.com or B(a)companyAB.com sent to B(a)companyB.com

From CompanyB
Mail sent to B(a)companyB.com or B(a)companyAB is delivered to the mailbox
in companyB
Mail sent to A(a)companyB.com or A(a)companyAB.com sent to A(a)companyA.com

>2) >assigning the "other" company's old domain as the target address in the
>>>Contacts.
>you mean that ex: in my company, create other company user contact to use
>b.com instead of using ab.com or can you create one contact to use *@b.com???

See above.

>3)> >>everyone sends using the new domain and all mail to the new domain

Ideally you'd have either companyA *or* companyB reveiving all the
mail for companyAB.com.

>4) >>That organization,
>
>I still could not figure out this. the contacts that have old email address
>b.com and how could it be delivered to the other company's users for email
>address ab.com since the other company also change ab.com for users' primary
>email address??
>
>I must miss something.

See above, again. :-)
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: ed on
Rich,

Words can not express my appreciation for the help I got. Thank you.
After reading more and testing on two methods of 3 you proposed:

Method1 - the shared SMTP address:
> You could share the address space between the two organizations, but
> that means that you'll have to accept all email delivered to your
> organization. That could get you on several DNSBLs.
Here are what I did:
Here are steps I did on both exchange organizations:

1)create one recipient policy with address space @ab.com in both
organizations and make it nonauthoritative "This Exchange Organization is
sresponsible for all mail delivery to this address" is NOT set

2) Create SMTP connector defined called "abshare" where the "Forward all
mail through this connector to the following smart host" set to the
ip-address of another company's exchange 2003 frontend server" and Address
space is set to ab.com and the "Allow messages to be relayed to these
domains" is set to ON.

Test:
>From company A to compnay B or B to A
email flow are fine

>From company A or compnay B' users to external domains (like yahoo.com)
email flows are fine

>from external (yahoo.com) to company A or company B users (Inbound mails)
To company A - fine
to compnay B - FAILED

I do not know why external domain (yahoo.com) to company B users for this
shared SMTP address failed and the only difference is that ab.com MX record
points
to company A's exchange server?

If I add a contact for company B user in company A, mails from external
(yahoo.com) to company B users are fine.

Method 2 -
> You could give everyone a new primary SMTP address (keeping their old
> SMTP address) and synchronize the directories, assigning the "other"
> company's old domain as the target address in the Contacts. Now
> everyone sends using the new domain and all mail to the new domain
> goes to just one of the two Exchange orgainzations. That organization,
> via the Contacts, sends the mail to either a local mailbox or to the
> other e-mail system.

Plus the detailed info you gave on 5/10 reply. Great thanks.

From my testing, If I just add contacts for company A users or From company
B users in Company B or company A, I still can not send both company's users
with the new email address ab.com.
to get it to work, I have to use shared SMTP address to make ab.com
nonauthoriative.

From my testing, I have to combine two methods to get them work.
Do I missing something?

Thank you for your time and support. (sorry for this long email)