From: ed on
Hi all,

we are going to merge with another company. If we do a forest trust
between us, can we share PB, free/busy and calendar each other? (Windows 2003
domain functional level both company. we have exchnage 2003 sp2 and they have
exchange 2007)

thank you.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 09:01:01 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>we are going to merge with another company. If we do a forest trust
>between us, can we share PB, free/busy and calendar each other? (Windows 2003
>domain functional level both company. we have exchnage 2003 sp2 and they have
>exchange 2007)

Not sure what "PB" is. Public Folders, maybe?

If you were both running Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007 you could use
CAS and the availabilty service for free/busy. But if you run Exchange
2003, or Outlook versions earlier than 2007, you'll have to use the
Inter-Org Replication Tool to replicate the Free/busy folders between
the two organizations. And, if the 2007 organization doesn't have
public folders they'll have to add a PF store and take a step
backwards.

Calendars? No. Not if they're in mailboxes. If they're in a Public
Folder, see above reference to IORT. The same is true if "PB" means
Public Folders.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: ed on
Rich,

thank you for your great help.

> Not sure what "PB" is. Public Folders, maybe?
yes, thanks.

Is there a way to allow the other company's Global Address Book show in my
company's GAL list or allow my company's Global Address Book show in the
other company's GAL list?

THANK YOU!

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:09:01 -0700, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Rich,
>
>thank you for your great help.
>
>> Not sure what "PB" is. Public Folders, maybe?
>yes, thanks.
>
>Is there a way to allow the other company's Global Address Book show in my
>company's GAL list or allow my company's Global Address Book show in the
>other company's GAL list?

You'll have to get some form of directory synchronization going for
that to happen. The GAL is really just a "view" of the AD forest that
contains the Exchange organization.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: ed on
Rich,

Thank you very much for your help.

Due to the merge, we are going to have the new email domain name
ex:newcompany.com

If we need to use the newcompany.com for both company's primary email
address domain (that means everyone in both comany will have primary email
address fistinitial&lastname(a)newcompnay.com), what is the right way or
effective way to do this? (I thought to change MX record to allow my mail
server to accept emails for @newcompany.com and then ask the other company to
use our email server as a smart host) and can we allow two companies to
accept emails for the same domain @newcompnay.com??

Thank you and appreciate your help.