From: Heirloom on
Hope this is the correct NG, if not, point me in the right direction......

Mom's computer, Intel Celeron 1GHz, 256M Ram, 80GHD, XP SP2, all updates
current, using Outlook Express. Have Zone Alarm free, Adaware, Spybot S&D,
eTrust EZ AV (latest version of all, with updates).

Problem: can receive email but, cannot send. Server times out, get error
message to that effect and socket error 10060 and 0x800CCC0E. Have looked
through all the remedies found in Google. Have reset the account and
properties. Have disabled ZA, AV and Windows firewall. Have put OE as an
exception on the firewall list. Have established a new account, confirmed
password. Have tried System Restore to three different dates up to a week
ago when I know her email was working.....all to no avail.

She can connect on the dialup with no problem, surf to any site, OE will
receive email....just can't send. Tried to "ping" myself and it times out,
but, can ping any other place. When sending email, I can see it connect to
the server and then is immediately dropped and the error message appears
shortly after. Have also adjusted the server time out setting from the
current 1 minute to as high as three, no help. POP3 and SMTP settings are
correct, all passwords have been reset and port 25 is not being blocked by
the ISP. Server does not require authentication, but, I tried that anyway.
Oh yeah, it is not behind a router.
Heirloom, old and think that
covers it

From: PA Bear on
How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and
receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

Post the complete error message.

The current Identity (not account) may be damaged, especially if its the
default Main Identity. Try one or more of the mail accounts in a new Named
Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
messages from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

- Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

From: Heirloom on
Thanks PA Bear (I've been a fan of yours for years, you have my sincere
thanks and gratitude for all you do and have done)
I have set up a new Identity, switched to it from the main Identity and got
the same results. I have also tried the <sfc /scannow> from a command
prompt. The error message is not unlike the following:
Error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'youraccount',
Server: 'www.yourdomain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
Inbox and all other folders are emptied daily....to include the Deleted
items. Email scanning is and has been disabled.
I will go over and compact the folders manually, although, I believe that
has already been done. I'll post back with the results.
The only thing I can find, that I haven't tried, is to format and
reinstall.....really don't want to do that, at least, not yet.
Heirloom, old and off to compact

From: Heirloom on
Follow up to PA Bear...........compacting the folders did not help. May
just have to build her a new cpu and purchase a fresh copy of XP,
rrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Heirloom, old and hate it when I
can't fix it

From: Bruce Hagen on
That particular error message seems to have many different fixes for
different users. Just a shot in the dark here, but if you haven't tried it
yet:

Go to Tools>Accounts>Mail>Properties>Servers Tab. Under *Outgoing mail
server*, check the box for My server requires authentication. Next, click
the Settings button and insert your user name, {everything before the @ in
your address} and enter the password.

Hope it helps, but this error is a tough one.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)