From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2006-01-16, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> ... or run in PPP half-bridged (or even fully-bridged) mode and do all
> firewalling and things on your Linux box.

.... or say "sod this half-arsed router nonsense" and get an ADSL card
for your linux box!

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Nix may or may not have written...

[snip]
> (Yes, I know, it's pathetic and unworthy of any sane person and I should
> get over it. Feeling a sense of superiority to script kiddies is like
> feeling a sense of superiority to manure. But dammit I *am* superior to
> manure.)

Let me guess. City supporter?

;-)

--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| Debian, | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org
| RISC OS | Toon Army | @
| Kill all extremists!

If in doubt, make it sound convincing.
From: Martin Gregorie on
alexd wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> alexd wrote:

>>> [Port knocking] is Security By Obscurity, verson 2.1 ;-)
>>>
>> Yes, it is, rather, isn't it? Quite ingenious, though. Probably unusable
>> with an ADSL router unless you've got one that's fancy enough to send
>> its access log to a server, though.
>
> No need. Just forward the relevant ports from your router to your server.

.....what, all of them? :-)

> Presumably you'd be forwarding SSH anyway, so your router is already
> capable.

....of course, but you'd want a pretty big block of them to avoid
playing a one note Samba with the knocker.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
From: Nix on
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Darren Salt murmured woefully:
> I demand that Nix may or may not have written...
>
> [snip]
>> (Yes, I know, it's pathetic and unworthy of any sane person and I should
>> get over it. Feeling a sense of superiority to script kiddies is like
>> feeling a sense of superiority to manure. But dammit I *am* superior to
>> manure.)
>
> Let me guess. City supporter?

I have to guess this is a football thing? (If so, I'm a little surprised
that `City' isn't ambiguous. I hate *cities*, does that count?)

> ;-)

Sorry, went over my head like Cassini.

--
`Logic and human nature don't seem to mix very well,
unfortunately.' --- Velvet Wood
From: Nix on
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Ian Rawlings murmured woefully:
> On 2006-01-16, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> ... or run in PPP half-bridged (or even fully-bridged) mode and do all
>> firewalling and things on your Linux box.
>
> ... or say "sod this half-arsed router nonsense" and get an ADSL card
> for your linux box!

I sometimes find it useful to reset the router without resetting the
whole machine.

--
`Logic and human nature don't seem to mix very well,
unfortunately.' --- Velvet Wood
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Network connection