From: alexd on
Martin Gregorie wrote:

> alexd wrote:
>> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>
>>> alexd wrote:
>> [Port knocking] is Security By Obscurity, verson 2.1 ;-)
>>
> Yes, it is, rather, isn't it? Quite ingenious, though. Probably unusable
> with an ADSL router unless you've got one that's fancy enough to send
> its access log to a server, though.

No need. Just forward the relevant ports from your router to your server.
Presumably you'd be forwarding SSH anyway, so your router is already
capable.

alexd
--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (gebssnfxl(a)ubgznvy.pbz)
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

From: Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} on
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Robert Hull wrote:
>> In uk.comp.os.linux, on Sun 15 January 2006 12:38, Martin Gregorie
>> <martin(a)see.sig.for.address> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm interesting in restricting the list of clients that can access my
>>> server, and if /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts, if it exists, does just that
>>> according to the sshd manpage.
>>>
>> Not the man page on this machine (SuSE 10 2.6.13-15.7 kernel) where it
>> states:
>>
>> /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts, $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts
>> These files are consulted when using rhosts with RSA host
>> authentication or protocol version 2 hostbased authentication
>> to check the public key of the host.
>>
>> The key must be listed in one of these files to be accepted.
>> The client uses the same files to verify that it is connecting
>> to the correct remote host.
>>
>> Nothing there about presence/absence in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts being
>> used to disallow access, only that presence will allow it.
>
> OK, but if the key check doesn't deny access, what exactly is its point?

I always thought it was a list of system-wide approved hosts to which
you can connect without scary warning messages. I've never really seen
it as an inbound restriction.

--
Dave
mail da ve(a)llondel.org (without the space)
From: Nix on
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, alexd spake:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> alexd wrote:

>>> [Port knocking] is Security By Obscurity, verson 2.1 ;-)
>>>
>> Yes, it is, rather, isn't it? Quite ingenious, though. Probably unusable
>> with an ADSL router unless you've got one that's fancy enough to send
>> its access log to a server, though.
>
> No need. Just forward the relevant ports from your router to your server.

.... or run in PPP half-bridged (or even fully-bridged) mode and do all
firewalling and things on your Linux box.

--
`Logic and human nature don't seem to mix very well,
unfortunately.' --- Velvet Wood
From: Martin Gregorie on
Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> Robert Hull wrote:

>>> Not the man page on this machine (SuSE 10 2.6.13-15.7 kernel) where it
>>> states:
>>>
>>> /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts, $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts
>>> These files are consulted when using rhosts with RSA host
>>> authentication or protocol version 2 hostbased authentication
>>> to check the public key of the host.
>>>
>>> The key must be listed in one of these files to be accepted.
>>> The client uses the same files to verify that it is
>>> connecting to the correct remote host.
>>>
>>> Nothing there about presence/absence in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts being
>>> used to disallow access, only that presence will allow it.
>>
>> OK, but if the key check doesn't deny access, what exactly is its point?
>>
> I always thought it was a list of system-wide approved hosts to which
> you can connect without scary warning messages. I've never really seen
> it as an inbound restriction.

That's perfectly reasonable from ssh client p.o.v. However, if that's
all its meant to do then sshd should not use the file, but according to
the manpage it does.

I'd intended to investigate this today, but got bound up in playing with
a new printer, configuring Sculptor to drive it and fixing my OS-9/68K
spooler configuration. Tomorrow...

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2006-01-16, Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address> wrote:

> Interesting. Mine says pretty much the opposite, but it does rather lump
> hosts.allow|deny in with hosts.equiv as well as saying that sshd will
> use the public key in ssh_known_hosts to permit access. What it doesn't
> say explicitly is that a key non-match will forbid access, but I can't
> see why sshd should even glance at the public key if it doesn't reject
> non-matches.

The known_hosts files appear to be dual use. With user-account-based
authentication, they are used to check the authenticity of the host
you are connecting to, however when using host-based authentication
they are used to check the authenticity of the hosts trying to connect
to you.

The manuals are however riddled with obvious errors, so
experimentation is the key.

With host-based authentication, you appear to have to trust the
connecting hosts as user matching is done on username only.
Considering how easy it is to add users to a box, if you don't trust
the remote admin then that's not an option. I've never trusted
host-based authentication enough to even consider using it.

Also, you don't appear to be able to mix host-based and user-based
authentication.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Network connection