From: Robert Hull on
In uk.comp.os.linux, on Sun 15 January 2006 12:38, Martin Gregorie
<martin(a)see.sig.for.address> wrote:

> I'm interesting in restricting the list of clients that can access my
> server, and if /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts, if it exists, does just that
> according to the sshd manpage.

Not the man page on this machine (SuSE 10 2.6.13-15.7 kernel) where it
states:

/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts, $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts
These files are consulted when using rhosts with RSA host
authentication or protocol version 2 hostbased authentication
to check the public key of the host.

The key must be listed in one of these files to be accepted.
The client uses the same files to verify that it is connecting
to the correct remote host.

Nothing there about presence/absence in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts being
used to disallow access, only that presence will allow it.
--
Robert
Keep the Yule Logs burning !
From: Martin Gregorie on
alexd wrote:

Thanks for the quick overview.

> SSH is great when you want a quick connection that just works without too
> much messing about. You can get shell access, copy a few files with scp,
> etc etc.

It's beginning to look as if ssh might be a viable VPN replacement for
some of the simpler tasks. I've just had a quick play with sftp which
seems rather nice, though its a lot slower than ftp (I suppose that's
inevitable when one end is only a P300 and the test file was in the 140
MB range). The ssh-based network filing system sounds useful too, though
I haven't seen it yet.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
From: Martin Gregorie on
alexd wrote:

> If you're super-paranoid, try port knocking.

What's that, he says ignorantly.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
From: Chris Croughton on
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:03:43 +0000, Martin Gregorie
<martin(a)see.sig.for.address> wrote:

> Both files are described in the ssh and sshd manpages. Sheesh. I think
> I'm giving out more information than I'm receiving. Doesn't anybody else
> use ssh over the Internet and if not, why not and what do you use instead?

Yes, I use ssh over the Internet and I don't use that file, because the
whole point is that I need to be able to get into my machine from places
where I don't know the IP address (in some cases, via vachines using
dialup connections where the IP address isn't even the same each time I
connect). As far as I can see by its nature it only allows connection
from individual hosts, not even a range, and so is useless to me.

Chris C
From: Martin Gregorie on
Robert Hull wrote:
> In uk.comp.os.linux, on Sun 15 January 2006 12:38, Martin Gregorie
> <martin(a)see.sig.for.address> wrote:
>
>> I'm interesting in restricting the list of clients that can access my
>> server, and if /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts, if it exists, does just that
>> according to the sshd manpage.
>>
> Not the man page on this machine (SuSE 10 2.6.13-15.7 kernel) where it
> states:
>
> /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts, $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts
> These files are consulted when using rhosts with RSA host
> authentication or protocol version 2 hostbased authentication
> to check the public key of the host.
>
> The key must be listed in one of these files to be accepted.
> The client uses the same files to verify that it is connecting
> to the correct remote host.
>
> Nothing there about presence/absence in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts being
> used to disallow access, only that presence will allow it.

OK, but if the key check doesn't deny access, what exactly is its point?

Granted that you can keep undesirable named hosts out with hosts.deny
but only if they *don't* spoof the host name or mount a DNS attack.
Given that, there's just no point in having an ssh_known_hosts file. As
there's nobody sitting watching the logs for messages saying that sshd
doesn't like a host because its key is wrong you may as well not bother
with the check if sshd can't reject a host that fails it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |