From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
On 06/01/2010 02:56 PM, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2010-06-01, The Natural Philosopher<tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Keith Keller wrote:
>>>
>>> Again, a task manager won't help you with this. Have you tried kill -9?
>>> This should be considered a last resort, but if you've already tried
>>> kill (which by defaults sends SIGTERM, or kill -15) then you basically
>>> have no other real options anyway.
>>>

>> Reload the GUI.
>> Or reboot the machine.
>

> Real men don't reboot! ;-)
>
> Killing X may end up simply orphaning the rogue process, making it a
> child of init. It's worth a shot, of course, but the inevitable
> question will be "what happens when the process doesn't die after I kill
> X?" At that point you consider kill -9, or if frustrated enough a
> reboot.
>
> --keith

humm... I had fedora 13 desktop now freeze on me.

The whole gnome desktop froze. ctrl-alt-del does nothing like on
windows? What else am i suppose to do? Had to reboot the machine.

I think the problem is coming from a USB external disk I am using. It
seems to be causing hangups. This is may be why xsane hangs sometimes,
and when I did fdisk -l before the reboot, the command hanged up at this
device also.

I also had an rsync running copying stuff to this USB disk, and that
seems to be frozen as well.

So, I had to reboot the PC. On windows, I would have done ctrl-alt-del
and found the process and killed it.

Humm.... may be I should take this disk back and get a new one (it is a
new disk, just bought it few days ago). I am not sure it is the USB
disk, but I think it is.

What does one do on linux when the desktop freezes like this? is there
a way to avoid re powering the machine?

--Nasser

From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
On 06/01/2010 02:59 PM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
>
>> coming from windows to linux, I find that I miss the task-manager tool
>> on windows.
>>
>> I am running fedora 13, and I like the linux tools below the desktop
>> (shell commands) and all the other command line development tools, and
>> that is the main reason I am moving to linux.
>>
>> But I am finding that sometimes some desktop applications hangs and
>> something goes wrong. On windows, when this happens, I start the
>> task-manager, find the process or the application, and kill it.
>

> In KDE, press Ctrl+Esc, in Gnome, you can add your own shortcut via
> settings->Shortcuts to open gnome-monitor.

Thanks Frank. I looked, called "system monitor" under system tools, in
fedora 13.

When the desktop froze on me earlier, I could not use it, as everything
froze, had to reboot. But good to know now that such a tool exist.

Will use the gnome system monitor again when something hangs up again,
which I am sure will happen, to see if I can kill the process using it.

--Nasser
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 18:22:45 -0400, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma(a)12000.org> wrote:

> What does one do on linux when the desktop freezes like this? is there
> a way to avoid re powering the machine?

On my Mandriva 2010.0 system, the following works ...
Hold down alt+ctrl and press the backspace key twice to kill
the X server, and any gui applications.
The X server should then restart, if you are using run level
5, or you can use startx, if using run level 3.

If that fails, you should be able to force a clean reboot by
holding down alt+ctrl+sysrq and pressing each of the keys
RSEISUB, with a second or two wait between each key.
This will kill all tasks, sync the file systems, and then
reboot. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#.22Raising_Elephants.22_mnemonic_device

I add an extra S just before the unmount (i.e. Still Utterly
Boring).

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-06-01, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma(a)12000.org> wrote:

> The whole gnome desktop froze. ctrl-alt-del does nothing like on
> windows? What else am i suppose to do? Had to reboot the machine.

IIRC X can be configured to capture ctrl-alt-del. I don't use GNOME so
I don't know if it is configured that way by default.

If your X freezes, your first step should be ctrl-alt-F1 (or, for most
distros I know, F1 through F6 will all work) to switch to a different
virtual console. It'll be a text-only console, but you can log in, try
to find the offending process and kill it, or if not kill off X. To
switch back to your X session (if you don't kill it) is (usually)
alt-F7, but you can try any of the virtual consoles to look for it.
Note that plain alt-Fn will work from a text console, but you need
ctrl-alt-Fn to switch from a console running X. (It won't hurt to
switch to a console that has nothing running on it, so you can try all
the Fn keys.)

Note that on most distros, from a text console ctrl-alt-del *will* cause
a (clean) reboot! (i.e., tell init to switch to runlevel 6)

In your hung X session, if you don't care about it you could try
ctrl-alt-backspace first, which is the keystroke to kill X. If that
doesn't work you can still try switching consoles. If *that* doesn't
work, you can try to ssh in from another computer, if you have one
available and your frozen machine is on the network. If none of those
work, I don't know any other option than to kill the power.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-06-01, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On my Mandriva 2010.0 system, the following works ...
> Hold down alt+ctrl and press the backspace key twice to kill
> the X server, and any gui applications.
> The X server should then restart, if you are using run level
> 5, or you can use startx, if using run level 3.
>
> If that fails, you should be able to force a clean reboot by
> holding down alt+ctrl+sysrq and pressing each of the keys
> RSEISUB, with a second or two wait between each key.

I think it's better to try to switch to a virtual console before
resorting to SysRq. (Some kernels may not support SysRq, as well?
Though the running kernels I have right now do have it.) SysRq is
definitely better than a hard poweroff though.

--keith