From: The Natural Philosopher on
Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2010-06-01, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Keith Keller wrote:
>>> Again, a task manager won't help you with this. Have you tried kill -9?
>>> This should be considered a last resort, but if you've already tried
>>> kill (which by defaults sends SIGTERM, or kill -15) then you basically
>>> have no other real options anyway.
>>>
>> Reload the GUI.
>> Or reboot the machine.
>
> Real men don't reboot! ;-)
>
> Killing X may end up simply orphaning the rogue process, making it a
> child of init. It's worth a shot, of course, but the inevitable
> question will be "what happens when the process doesn't die after I kill
> X?" At that point you consider kill -9, or if frustrated enough a
> reboot.

Read again

he said to try kill -15 and kill -9 first.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 18:22:45 -0400, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma(a)12000.org> wrote:
>
>> What does one do on linux when the desktop freezes like this? is there
>> a way to avoid re powering the machine?
>
> On my Mandriva 2010.0 system, the following works ...
> Hold down alt+ctrl and press the backspace key twice to kill
> the X server, and any gui applications.

Works on Debian too. OOps.

> The X server should then restart, if you are using run level
> 5, or you can use startx, if using run level 3.
>
> If that fails, you should be able to force a clean reboot by
> holding down alt+ctrl+sysrq and pressing each of the keys
> RSEISUB, with a second or two wait between each key.
> This will kill all tasks, sync the file systems, and then
> reboot. See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#.22Raising_Elephants.22_mnemonic_device

I have found witching to the console, logging in as root, and rebooting
from the command line also useful.

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jun 1, 4:33 pm, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <n...(a)12000.org> wrote:
> coming from windows to linux, I find that I miss the task-manager tool
> on windows.
>
> I am running fedora 13, and I like the linux tools below the desktop
> (shell commands) and all the other command line development tools, and
> that is the main reason I am moving to linux.
>
> But I am finding that sometimes some desktop applications hangs and
> something goes wrong. On windows, when this happens, I start the
> task-manager, find the process or the application, and kill it.
>
> For example, now I have firefox froze on me on fedora, I was in the
> middle of saving a page as web page.
>
> I know I can use ps -a, find the process id, and use kill, but sometimes
> that does not kill the process, and now when I did ps -a, it did not
> even list firefox
>
>   ps -a | grep -i firefox
>
> even thought I started it, and I can see it there froze on the desktop.
>
> The point is, it would be much easier for new users if a task-manager
> like GUI tool is there (ofcourse, one must be root to run it?).
>
> I also have another GUI application which is hanged. Also xsane hangs up
> when coming up searching for devices, and kill does not seem to work on it.
>
> Is there such a thing on linux that new linux users could use?
>
> thanks
> --Nasser

Fedora is, unfortunately, bleeding edge software. That's what it's
for: so we can find the problems with it, report them, alpha test and
beta test them, and when the kinks are worked out, RedHat can armor
plate them and sell them as RHEL. I'm afraid if you don't want
bleeding edge, you should step away from Fedora rand either buy RHEL,
or use CentOS for free, or consider another more stable release.

That said, are you enterweaving KDE applications and using the Gnome
desktop? Or vice versa? I find it helpful to pick one desktop and
toolkit and stick with to aid stability.
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jun 1, 5:56 pm, Keith Keller <kkeller-use...(a)wombat.san-
francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On 2010-06-01, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Keith Keller wrote:
>
> >> Again, a task manager won't help you with this.  Have you tried kill -9?
> >> This should be considered a last resort, but if you've already tried
> >> kill (which by defaults sends SIGTERM, or kill -15) then you basically
> >> have no other real options anyway.
>
> > Reload the GUI.
> > Or reboot the machine.
>
> Real men don't reboot!  ;-)
>
> Killing X may end up simply orphaning the rogue process, making it a
> child of init.  It's worth a shot, of course, but the inevitable
> question will be "what happens when the process doesn't die after I kill
> X?"  At that point you consider kill -9, or if frustrated enough a
> reboot.
>
> --keith

Well, some of us do hands-on work with boot loaders and device
drivers, so we kind of have to.
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jun 1, 8:07 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:
> David W. Hodgins wrote:
> > On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 18:22:45 -0400, Nasser M. Abbasi <n...(a)12000.org> wrote:
>
> >> What does one do on linux when the desktop freezes like this?  is there
> >> a way to avoid re powering the machine?
>
> > On my Mandriva 2010.0 system, the following works ...
> > Hold down alt+ctrl and press the backspace key twice to kill
> > the X server, and any gui applications.
>
> Works on Debian too. OOps.
>
> > The X server should then restart, if you are using run level
> > 5, or you can use startx, if using run level 3.
>
> > If that fails, you should be able to force a clean reboot by
> > holding down alt+ctrl+sysrq and pressing each of the keys
> > RSEISUB, with a second or two wait between each key.
> > This will kill all tasks, sync the file systems, and then
> > reboot.  See
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#.22Raising_Elephants.22_...
>
> I have found witching to the console, logging in as root, and rebooting
> from the command line also useful.
>
> > I add an extra S just before the unmount (i.e. Still Utterly
> > Boring).
>
> > Regards, Dave Hodgins

I find that logging in as root is usually unnecessary, unless I was
doing something nasty with "su" or "sudo" and I've really wedged
things.