From: Nasser M. Abbasi on

> That said, are you enterweaving KDE applications and using the Gnome
> desktop? Or vice versa? I find it helpful to pick one desktop and
> toolkit and stick with to aid stability.

No. Not at all. I just installed fedora 13. Using gnome only.

It looks good. But other than 2-3 times where things freeze on me, and I
rebooted once, it is working well. I think it is the external USB disk
not acting well, and that causes the file system to hang or something,
but I am not sure yet. I think the USB disk goes to sleep, and the
connection is lost and will not wake up again. Need to look more into it.

The kernel also did a couple of hickups or internal faults (even though
the PC kept running), and I got a pop up window to send kernel reports
to fedora, so I click, send, and the report went. May be that will help
someone.

This is also a new PC, 64 bit, intel i-7 930. And the OS is 64 bit
fedora 13.

I am having such a hard time installing vbox 64 bit on fedora, I posted
the problem description here today as reply to an article on linux daily
web site:

http://www.thelinuxdaily.com/2010/05/how-to-install-virtualbox-3-2-on-fedora-13/

and Derek at the TheDailyLinux has been helpful in trying to find what
is the problem.

--Nasser

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-06-02, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Fedora is, unfortunately, bleeding edge software. That's what it's
> for: so we can find the problems with it, report them, alpha test and
> beta test them, and when the kinks are worked out, RedHat can armor
> plate them and sell them as RHEL.

I don't believe this to be unfortunate. What is unfortunate is when
people misconstrue Fedora's purpose, expect it to be as stable as
RHEL when it is specifically meant as a testbed for RHEL, and blame
Fedora for not being ''as good'' as RHEL.

(That doesn't mean we shouldn't blame Fedora when it doesn't work; it
just means that Fedora users need to manage their expectations, and
redefine what it means to "not work". I wish that the Fedora Project
would be more explicit about the niche that RedHat intends it to fill; I
suspect that many new users look at their web site and think, "oh, free,
open, stable, looks great, I'll try it!")

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Jun 1, 8:07 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>> David W. Hodgins wrote:
>>> On my Mandriva 2010.0 system, the following works ...
>>> Hold down alt+ctrl and press the backspace key twice to kill
>>> the X server, and any gui applications.
>> Works on Debian too. OOps.
>>
>>> The X server should then restart, if you are using run level
>>> 5, or you can use startx, if using run level 3.
>>> If that fails, you should be able to force a clean reboot by
>>> holding down alt+ctrl+sysrq and pressing each of the keys
>>> RSEISUB, with a second or two wait between each key.
>>> This will kill all tasks, sync the file systems, and then
>>> reboot. See
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#.22Raising_Elephants.22_...
>> I have found witching to the console, logging in as root, and rebooting
>> from the command line also useful.
>>
>>> I add an extra S just before the unmount (i.e. Still Utterly
>>> Boring).
>>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> I find that logging in as root is usually unnecessary, unless I was
> doing something nasty with "su" or "sudo" and I've really wedged
> things.

Old Unix habits die hard...;-)
From: Denis McMahon on
On 01/06/10 21:33, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> For example, now I have firefox froze on me on fedora, I was in the
> middle of saving a page as web page.
>
> I know I can use ps -a, find the process id, and use kill, but sometimes
> that does not kill the process, and now when I did ps -a, it did not
> even list firefox
>
> ps -a | grep -i firefox

try: ps -A | grep firefox

or just: killall firefox
and: killall firefox-bin

> even thought I started it, and I can see it there froze on the desktop.

There's also: top

My gnome has System -> Administration -> System Monitor which might be
the tool you are seeking? But I usually use the cli for such things.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: Aragorn on
On Tuesday 01 June 2010 22:33 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as Nasser M. Abbasi wrote...

> coming from windows to linux, I find that I miss the task-manager tool
> on windows.
>
> I am running fedora 13, and I like the linux tools below the desktop
> (shell commands) and all the other command line development tools, and
> that is the main reason I am moving to linux.
>
> But I am finding that sometimes some desktop applications hangs and
> something goes wrong. On windows, when this happens, I start the
> task-manager, find the process or the application, and kill it.
>
> For example, now I have firefox froze on me on fedora, I was in the
> middle of saving a page as web page.
>
> I know I can use ps -a, find the process id, and use kill, but
> sometimes that does not kill the process, and now when I did ps -a, it
> did not even list firefox
>
> ps -a | grep -i firefox
>
> even thought I started it, and I can see it there froze on the
> desktop.
>
> The point is, it would be much easier for new users if a task-manager
> like GUI tool is there (ofcourse, one must be root to run it?).

In KDE, press [Control+Escape] - unless you have assigned another
function to that key combination - and it'll bring up the KDE System
Guard. You can kill any process to which you have the privileges, but
of course, as a regular user, you cannot kill other users' processes or
a root process.

It's been a while since I've dabbled with Gnome tools, but "xosview"
and "gtop" used to be similar. Don't know whether those are still
around, though.

And lastly, you can use "top" in a terminal window, which is not a
graphical or mouse-driven tool but offers the same functionality.

> I also have another GUI application which is hanged. Also xsane hangs
> up when coming up searching for devices, and kill does not seem to
> work on it.

"kill" has many different options. A default "kill" sends a SIGTERM to
the application, but if the application has gone off to lunch, then
this won't work. You'll then need to use SIGKILL, like so...

kill -9 <PID_of_the_application>

> Is there such a thing on linux that new linux users could use?

As explained higher up. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)