From: Craig on
If your IP address is visible to the world and it can be shown that your are
seeding the file you are downloading, then why do people use such
technologies? Why aren't they afraid of being sued by the copyright
holders?

Wouldn't it be safer to just download from file server sites via http? At
least only then your ISP knows what you're downloading.

From: Epsilon on
Craig wrote:
> If your IP address is visible to the world and it can be shown that
> your are seeding the file you are downloading, then why do people use
> such technologies? Why aren't they afraid of being sued by the
> copyright holders?

Several reasons.

1. The downloader is basically stupid.

2. The downloader doesn't have a cracker, so isn't worth suing.

3. Copyright holders don't concern themselves with small-fry. They are
concerned about those people who breach copyright in a commercial way ie the
sell the copyrighted product to consumers as a business. In that situation,
they can sue for the profits made by the breacher.

Just as many people infringe the legal rights of others every day, but run
little to no risk of being sued, people breach copyright every day with no
risk of being sued because it's not worth the bother to the copyright
holder. The risk of being sued increases where there is some profit being
made, and it covers the copyright holder's costs of enforcing their
copyright.

> Wouldn't it be safer to just download from file server sites via
> http? At least only then your ISP knows what you're downloading.

The safest way is not to breach copyright.

From: atec7 7 ""atec77 " on
Craig wrote:
> If your IP address is visible to the world and it can be shown that your are
> seeding the file you are downloading, then why do people use such
> technologies? Why aren't they afraid of being sued by the copyright
> holders?
>
> Wouldn't it be safer to just download from file server sites via http? At
> least only then your ISP knows what you're downloading.

How much of the p2p traffic might be considered illegal ?

a lot of traffic is fine and the determination of not can be difficult
\you have also made some invalid assumptions
From: Craig on

"atec7 7" <""atec77 \"@ hotmail.com"> wrote in message
> Craig wrote:
>> If your IP address is visible to the world and it can be shown that your
>> are seeding the file you are downloading, then why do people use such
>> technologies? Why aren't they afraid of being sued by the copyright
>> holders?
>>
>> Wouldn't it be safer to just download from file server sites via http?
>> At least only then your ISP knows what you're downloading.
>>

> How much of the p2p traffic might be considered illegal ?

Most of it would be. We are talking about infringing material such as
movies and music recording.s

> a lot of traffic is fine and the determination of not can be difficult
> \you have also made some invalid assumptions

What assumptions are these?

From: atec7 7 ""atec77 " on
Craig wrote:
> "atec7 7" <""atec77 \"@ hotmail.com"> wrote in message
>> Craig wrote:
>>> If your IP address is visible to the world and it can be shown that your
>>> are seeding the file you are downloading, then why do people use such
>>> technologies? Why aren't they afraid of being sued by the copyright
>>> holders?
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be safer to just download from file server sites via http?
>>> At least only then your ISP knows what you're downloading.
>>>

>> How much of the p2p traffic might be considered illegal ?
>>

> Most of it would be. We are talking about infringing material such as
> movies and music recording.s

You need to state this and provide links to a reliable source proving
your claims

>> a lot of traffic is fine and the determination of not can be difficult
>> \you have also made some invalid assumptions
>
> What assumptions are these?
that it might be illegal and you will actually get told some truisms

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: How do I turn my mouse off?
Next: Centrelink error...