From: Craig on

"Andy" <nospam@> wrote in message
> Craig wrote:
>
>> Yes, but at least you are not broadcasting to the world every time you
>> download.
>
> I take it that you *don't* realise that your IP address is logged on
> every web site/server you visit, right?

Yes, but that is different to P2P where while you are downloading a file the
whole P2P swarm will know your IP address. If I download from a website,
only that website and my ISP will know my IP.

From: Epsilon on
idgat wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:24:51 +1000, "Epsilon" <not(a)this.address.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In the real worls, that is.
>
> Clearly, which you aren't.

And that's all that you have? Do yourself a favour and put yourself out of
your misery.

From: Rod Speed on
Craig wrote
> Swampfox <noidea(a)whocares.com> wrote
>> Craig wrote

>>> If your IP address is visible to the world and it can be shown that
>>> your are seeding the file you are downloading, then why do people
>>> use such technologies? Why aren't they afraid of being sued by the
>>> copyright holders?

>>> Wouldn't it be safer to just download from file server sites via
>>> http? At least only then your ISP knows what you're downloading.

>> If you're worried about it use a VPN service,

> Wouldn't the VPN service be required to divulge access details if a court asked them?

Not if its outside this country.

And some of them deliberate keep no records, so
even within this country, there is nothing to divulge.

From: Rod Speed on
Andy wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>
>> Yes, but at least you are not broadcasting to the world every time
>> you download.
>
> I take it that you *don't* realise that your IP address is logged on
> every web site/server you visit, right?

Doesnt have to be retained by the web site so that it can be divulged to a court etc.

From: Rod Speed on
Craig wrote:
> "Andy" <nospam@> wrote in message
>> Craig wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but at least you are not broadcasting to the world every time
>>> you download.
>>
>> I take it that you *don't* realise that your IP address is logged on
>> every web site/server you visit, right?
>>

> Yes, but only your ISP and that site has those details. Contrast
> that to P2P where the whole world can potentially see that your ISP
> is involved in the sharing of certain files.

They can see that even without you personally using the P2P system.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: How do I turn my mouse off?
Next: Centrelink error...