From: felmon on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 02:10:20 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> On Saturday 29 May 2010 21:58 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
> identifying as felmon wrote...
>

>> the question of a BIOS update is moot as there is none available.
>>
>> so what's a Linux fellow to do if he wants to update the BIOS and
>> cannot boot into Windows and the BIOS doesn't support CoreBoot? I
>> probably have a DOS floppy somewhere but no floppy drives in the
>> desktop!
>
> Well, if the BIOS supports booting from USB, then a USB floppy drive or
> a thumbdrive could be used as well.

turns out I was wrong on two counts.

first, there is a BIOS update but alas nothing relevant to my issue. and
Intel offers some kind of 'os-independent' method of updating the BIOS
which they expliclity say works in Linux, so bravo!

>> bizarre stubborn legacy indeed!
>>
>> anyway, as I said, a moot point for present purposes. I think the board
>> is going back to its original home. I am about to hie off to newegg and
>> see what's on offer.
>
> That would be my choice as well. Hope you find yourself a good one. ;-)

I want to leverage some parts I have: 2 DDR2 sticks and an Intel core 2
duo LGA775.

anyone? shopping for recommendations....

Felmon
From: felmon on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 01:40:15 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> The usual procedure is to put DOS on a CD-ROM, if you Google for it you
> will find a description of how to build a BIOS update CD on Linux. It's
> been a few years since I did it but it does work. Nobody has floppy
> drives anymore so even Windows users have to do it with a CD.

right. and I found that Intel offers an easy way to update the BIOS that
they expressly say works also for Linux.

Felmon
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 21:38:26 -0500, felmon wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 02:10:20 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 29 May 2010 21:58 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
>> identifying as felmon wrote...
>>

>>> the question of a BIOS update is moot as there is none available.
>>>
>>> so what's a Linux fellow to do if he wants to update the BIOS and
>>> cannot boot into Windows and the BIOS doesn't support CoreBoot? I
>>> probably have a DOS floppy somewhere but no floppy drives in the
>>> desktop!
>>
>> Well, if the BIOS supports booting from USB, then a USB floppy drive or
>> a thumbdrive could be used as well.
>
> turns out I was wrong on two counts.
>
> first, there is a BIOS update but alas nothing relevant to my issue. and
> Intel offers some kind of 'os-independent' method of updating the BIOS
> which they expliclity say works in Linux, so bravo!
>
>>> bizarre stubborn legacy indeed!
>>>
>>> anyway, as I said, a moot point for present purposes. I think the
>>> board is going back to its original home. I am about to hie off to
>>> newegg and see what's on offer.
>>
>> That would be my choice as well. Hope you find yourself a good one.
>> ;-)
>
> I want to leverage some parts I have: 2 DDR2 sticks and an Intel core 2
> duo LGA775.
>
> anyone? shopping for recommendations....
>
> Felmon

I'm been using a relative of this board for a couple of years and I've
been very happy with it. I have a 8400 overclocked to 4GHz and the system
has been solid as rock, it's been running 24/7 with heavy loads

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372
From: felmon on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 02:50:31 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 21:38:26 -0500, felmon wrote:

>> I want to leverage some parts I have: 2 DDR2 sticks and an Intel core 2
>> duo LGA775.
>>
>> anyone? shopping for recommendations....
>>
>> Felmon
>
> I'm been using a relative of this board for a couple of years and I've
> been very happy with it. I have a 8400 overclocked to 4GHz and the
> system has been solid as rock, it's been running 24/7 with heavy loads
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372

great! a concrete recommendation. and a great price.

I'll have to buy some RAM; I actually have DDR3 (not DDR2 - my error);
not a big problem if I have to buy more.

Felmon
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 23:26:46 -0500, felmon wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 02:50:31 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 May 2010 21:38:26 -0500, felmon wrote:
>
>>> I want to leverage some parts I have: 2 DDR2 sticks and an Intel core
>>> 2 duo LGA775.
>>>
>>> anyone? shopping for recommendations....
>>>
>>> Felmon
>>
>> I'm been using a relative of this board for a couple of years and I've
>> been very happy with it. I have a 8400 overclocked to 4GHz and the
>> system has been solid as rock, it's been running 24/7 with heavy loads
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372
>
> great! a concrete recommendation. and a great price.
>
> I'll have to buy some RAM; I actually have DDR3 (not DDR2 - my error);
> not a big problem if I have to buy more.
>
> Felmon

Don't buy RAM, DDR3 is what you want, just buy the DDR3 sister of that
board. DDR2 is obsolete, the exact board that I'm using isn't available
any more. This board uses the same chipsets except that it supports DDR3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128371