From: Rob on
Boris Epstein <borepstein(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 13, 3:52 am, Rob <nom...(a)example.com> wrote:
>> Boris Epstein <borepst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello there,
>>
>> > I use RDP to connect to an XP box. Every time I connect the locally
>> > logged in user gets logged out. Is there any way to stop that? Is
>> > there a way to have us both (the local and the remote user) be able to
>> > use the computer, or for the remote user to log in view only (i.e.,
>> > the get to only see what's happening on the desktop but not to affect
>> > it)?
>>
>> For that we use "vnc".  It allows you to see the same desktop as the
>> user sees, which can be convenient when you want to explain something.
>> View-only is an option, but by default you can also use your mouse and
>> keyboard when connected remotely.
>
> Thanks Rob!
>
> What kind of VNC server do you happen to use?

I have experimented with several. Currently in use are RealVNC
and TightVNC. With TightVNC I sometimes have issues with non-updating
areas of the screen in some software (requiring a refresh). But that
may be fixed in later versions, we have rolled it out on all desktops
in the company where I work and are often a bit reluctant to update.
From: Boris Epstein on
On May 13, 9:48 am, Rob <nom...(a)example.com> wrote:
> Boris Epstein <borepst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> For that we use "vnc".  It allows you to see the same desktop as the
> >> user sees, which can be convenient when you want to explain something.
> >> View-only is an option, but by default you can also use your mouse and
> >> keyboard when connected remotely.
>
> > Thanks Rob!
>
> > What kind of VNC server do you happen to use?
>
> I have experimented with several.   Currently in use are RealVNC
> and TightVNC.   With TightVNC I sometimes have issues with non-updating
> areas of the screen in some software (requiring a refresh).  But that
> may be fixed in later versions, we have rolled it out on all desktops
> in the company where I work and are often a bit reluctant to update.

I have just put TightVNC on that XP machine and it worked just fine.
Not so on Vista - last time I tried it was an absolute nightmare. I
spent a couple of days playing with it and still the reliability was
shaky.

Boris.