From: Giovanni Dicanio on
On 08/06/2010 19:03, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> I really don't want to have to deal with the security issues, and a VM is just a
> vulnerable as a real machine. And if my VM gets corrupted, I have to be able to restore
> it to a clean state, so I haven't won anything.

Hmm... I'm not sure, I mean: you can just have a copy of a "clean state
VM" (it's just a file or two on the hard-disk), and if you have a
corruption, you just delete the corrupted VM files and restore the old one.
This is one of the advantages of VMs over real hardware :)

Giovanni

From: Hans-J. Ude on
Giovanni Dicanio schrieb:

>On 08/06/2010 17:28, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> The Web site requires that I enable JavaVirus to effect a download. JavaVirus is an
>> attempt to run unconstrained and unverifiable code on my machine, and is therefore by
>> definition an attack. JavaVirus is one of the most popular malware vectors, second only
>> to ActiveVirus controls.
>>
>> Bottom line: if you've been taken out once by a JavaVirus attack, you will disable it from
>> all sites. I was taken out twice. There will not be a third time.
>
>Joe: what about building a virtual machine just to access JavaScript web
>sites?

Yes, and after having done that, he can also download the source code
to see what it does. Unfortunately I can't compile it since the .sln
file isn't compatible with my VS 2005. Jochen is a honest guy, I don't
believe he wants to attack anybody.

Hans

From: Pete Delgado on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>I really don't want to have to deal with the security issues, and a VM is
>just a
> vulnerable as a real machine.
>And if my VM gets corrupted, I have to be able to restore
> it to a clean state, so I haven't won anything.

Most VM solutions have a feature called "snapshots" which allow you to save
configurations at points in time. For example, for my product testing we
start with clean VMs of all supported operating systems and then add the
desired software in order to be able to perform the tests using actual
"real-world" customer environments. It takes seconds to revert a particular
environment back to the clean "snapshot". This allows us to work more
efficiently than having to manually install or use a product like ghost to
install directly onto the physical machine.

If you have the available disk space, this solution works nicely. With 1.5TB
hard drives under $100 at NewEgg, disk space is very cheap nowadays.

As far as VMs being vulnerable, they are just as vulnerable as physical
machines, but at least if you are simply using the VM to access the internet
and not file sharing, you can easily control and limit any infection to the
particular node.

>Overall, it doesn't give me anything that
> using a separate machine doesn't already give me (which is my current
> solution) but
> ultimately, the best security is not allowing unconstrained code to run on
> the client
> machine.

It allows you access to sites and code that you do not have access to with
your current configuration. Whether it is worth the additional hassle to you
is debatable...

-Pete

From: Pete Delgado on

"Hans-J. Ude" <news(a)s237965939.online.de> wrote in message
> Yes, and after having done that, he can also download the source code
> to see what it does. Unfortunately I can't compile it since the .sln
> file isn't compatible with my VS 2005. Jochen is a honest guy, I don't
> believe he wants to attack anybody.
>
> Hans

Maybe he just hasn't found anyone worth attacking yet! ;-)

-Pete

From: Hans-J. Ude on
Joseph M. Newcomer schrieb:

>I really don't want to have to deal with the security issues, and a VM is just a
>vulnerable as a real machine. And if my VM gets corrupted, I have to be able to restore
>it to a clean state, so I haven't won anything. Overall, it doesn't give me anything that
>using a separate machine doesn't already give me (which is my current solution) but
>ultimately, the best security is not allowing unconstrained code to run on the client
>machine.

Or just take one of these Linux trial boot CDs. Ubuntu 10 is doing a
good job here. If you want it runs out of the box with firefox
webbrowser, ftp, anything. I've just tried it out to verify what I'm
talking about, it runs even without a HD attached. I know you dont
like Linux, you deliberately refer to it as "linux" but c'm on... No
joke.

Hans