From: Hector Santos on
My apology Cholo. This is my first .NET production and wasn't all
aware of its default .net 4.0 perquisites and all the options to find
in the Setup Deployment to get it all matched.

I got it worked out now with v1.0d which only requires .NET 3.5 SP1
and Windows Live ID (part of the install). Download the current
version at:

http://opensite.winserver.com

--
HLS

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
Konrad,

I'll add this to my TO-DO list to see if I can alter the web services
for this.

--
HLS

--
HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
But this means I will have to make a backup of the VM essentially every time I potentially
go to a new, untrustedb (that is, any) site. So how many hundreds of VM copies can I live
with? I don't want to lose valid work (and valid emails, and valid downloads, and
valid...etc.) if I have corruption, and right now my incremental backup allows me to
restore to any known point, so I'm no further ahead with a VM than I am right now. The VM
will probably happen if the current email machine dies, but until then it isn't worth the
additional work.

The problem is that there is no way to know, if a piece of malware is installed, *when* it
is installed, so the VM solution isn't going to help me restore to a "clean" point if I
don't know where my last "clean" point is (which is a problem already, so the VM doesn't
change it at all!)

Suppose my VM was corrupted last Tuesday. I don't discover it until today. I lose a
week's worth of emails, NG posts, etc. to restore the entire VM. Right now, I can detect
what files were changed and backed up, so I actualy have a better audit trail now than I
could just using a VM. It gives me no isolation that I haven't got already, but a poorer
restoration mechanism.

If it really solved a problem more effectively, I'd jump at it, but itn doesn't change
anything, and some things justn get worse.

In fact, I can't even upgrade my existing VMWare, because if I do, all my existing VMs are
unusable. Not exactly a robust product in that regard, since there seems to be no
"upgrade" path that takes older VMs that are saved and allows them to be lauched in the
new version!
joe
****
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:38:16 +0200, Giovanni Dicanio
<giovanniDOTdicanio(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote:

>On 08/06/2010 19:03, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
>> I really don't want to have to deal with the security issues, and a VM is just a
>> vulnerable as a real machine. And if my VM gets corrupted, I have to be able to restore
>> it to a clean state, so I haven't won anything.
>
>Hmm... I'm not sure, I mean: you can just have a copy of a "clean state
>VM" (it's just a file or two on the hard-disk), and if you have a
>corruption, you just delete the corrupted VM files and restore the old one.
>This is one of the advantages of VMs over real hardware :)
>
>Giovanni

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
But I'd have to make hundreds of snapshots. Not worth the effort. I can track changes in
the current machine as readily.
joe

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
The reason Linices are usually safe is nobody cares about attacking them, and besides,
they are so vulnerable by other means that malware attacks are much simpler than on
Windows.

Besides, I spent 15 years despising Unix, it is not clear why I would voluntarily choose
to use it...
joe