From: Hector Santos on
Before you get cut off from the Microsoft News groups .........

SSI is please announce wcLEX - Wildcat! Live Exchange!, a free NNTP
Proxy Server for the Microsoft Web-based Mail Support Forums.

With wcLEX, Microsoft Users and Developers can continue to enjoy using
their News Reader for accessing the new mail groups.

You can download wcLEX 1.0a pre-release version from here:

http://opensite.winserver.com/wclex/wclex-1-0a-setup.msi
http://opensite.winserver.com/wclex/wclex-1-0a-setup.zip

Please use this support newsgroup

to report any issues or to make suggestions.

My plan is to make wcLEX a full "Social and Integrated" support
package for Microsoft Developers. Support and participating in
support shouldn't be hard for people and you shouldn't have to always
have to use the web site to do.

--
Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com
From: Liviu on
"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote...

> SSI is please announce wcLEX - Wildcat! Live Exchange!, a free NNTP
> Proxy Server for the Microsoft Web-based Mail Support Forums.

Haven't had a chance to try Jochen's bridge yet, either. For people
out there (myself included) who are still confused, or just not entirely
sold on the idea of running a local proxy, it could help clear the
confusion if you pointed out the distinguishing differences between
the existing "bridges", and advantages of each.

> Please use this support newsgroup

I don't know NNTP and the logistics involved, so take this just as a
heretical thought, but... Once you have the infrastructure to run an
actual newsserver, wouldn't it possible to use the bridge on the server
side, so as to "mirror" the web forums and allow access over regular
NNTP to any newsreader, with no local proxies involved?

Even read-only access (in case MS authentication is an issue) could
be valuable to some. And the "mirror" server itself would not have to
provide much retention - just long enough to "peer" the messages over
to larger general purpose newsservers.

Liviu

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Well one major difference is that I was able to download this one, because the Web site
does not go out of its way to attack my machine when I click a download link. Next, I
will install it, a nontrivial action because of my security setup.
joe

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:26:04 -0500, "Liviu" <lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m> wrote:

>"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote...
>>
>> SSI is please announce wcLEX - Wildcat! Live Exchange!, a free NNTP
>> Proxy Server for the Microsoft Web-based Mail Support Forums.
>
>Haven't had a chance to try Jochen's bridge yet, either. For people
>out there (myself included) who are still confused, or just not entirely
>sold on the idea of running a local proxy, it could help clear the
>confusion if you pointed out the distinguishing differences between
>the existing "bridges", and advantages of each.
>
>> Please use this support newsgroup

>I don't know NNTP and the logistics involved, so take this just as a
>heretical thought, but... Once you have the infrastructure to run an
>actual newsserver, wouldn't it possible to use the bridge on the server
>side, so as to "mirror" the web forums and allow access over regular
>NNTP to any newsreader, with no local proxies involved?
>
>Even read-only access (in case MS authentication is an issue) could
>be valuable to some. And the "mirror" server itself would not have to
>provide much retention - just long enough to "peer" the messages over
>to larger general purpose newsservers.
>
>Liviu

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Cholo Lennon on
On 06/06/2010 19:35, Hector Santos wrote:
> Before you get cut off from the Microsoft News groups .........
>
> SSI is please announce wcLEX - Wildcat! Live Exchange!, a free NNTP
> Proxy Server for the Microsoft Web-based Mail Support Forums.
>
> With wcLEX, Microsoft Users and Developers can continue to enjoy using
> their News Reader for accessing the new mail groups.
>
> You can download wcLEX 1.0a pre-release version from here:
>
> http://opensite.winserver.com/wclex/wclex-1-0a-setup.msi
> http://opensite.winserver.com/wclex/wclex-1-0a-setup.zip
>
> Please use this support newsgroup

> to report any issues or to make suggestions.
>
> My plan is to make wcLEX a full "Social and Integrated" support package
> for Microsoft Developers. Support and participating in support shouldn't
> be hard for people and you shouldn't have to always have to use the web
> site t

Which version of .Net does it use? The program hangs up at startup. I
have a PC with Win XP SP3 + VS 2005 professional.

Regards

--
Cholo Lennon
Bs.As.

From: Jerry Coffin on
In article <O7KBtamBLHA.5808(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m
says...

[ ... ]

> I don't know NNTP and the logistics involved, so take this just as a
> heretical thought, but... Once you have the infrastructure to run an
> actual newsserver, wouldn't it possible to use the bridge on the server
> side, so as to "mirror" the web forums and allow access over regular
> NNTP to any newsreader, with no local proxies involved?

If MS actually cared about their customers and/or developers, yes.
Then again, if they care about us, they'd just leave the existing new
servers on line, and none of this would be necessary at all.

--
Later,
Jerry.