From: globular on
Jerry wrote:
> What are people's recommendations for cheap and reliable web hosting?
>
> Can I expect to get something for less than $20/month? I need at least
> 100MB storage for downloading a demo app.
>
> I heard servergrade is cheap but I've seen some bad reviews.

Wondering how many of the web site hosters allow you to use telnet
access or something like it to set up scripts, or programs like gnupg.
From: Craig Welch on
globular wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
>> What are people's recommendations for cheap and reliable web hosting?
>>
>> Can I expect to get something for less than $20/month? I need at
>> least 100MB storage for downloading a demo app.
>>
>> I heard servergrade is cheap but I've seen some bad reviews.
>>

> Wondering how many of the web site hosters allow you to use telnet
> access or something like it to set up scripts, or programs like gnupg.

I would be *very* surprised if a hosting provider allowed you to use Telnet.

Most, including myself, allow for SSH.
From: globular on
Craig Welch wrote:
> globular wrote:
>> Jerry wrote:
>>> What are people's recommendations for cheap and reliable web hosting?
>>>
>>> Can I expect to get something for less than $20/month? I need at
>>> least 100MB storage for downloading a demo app.
>>>
>>> I heard servergrade is cheap but I've seen some bad reviews.
>>>

>> Wondering how many of the web site hosters allow you to use telnet
>> access or something like it to set up scripts, or programs like gnupg.
>
> I would be *very* surprised if a hosting provider allowed you to use
> Telnet.
>
> Most, including myself, allow for SSH.

SSH is only a file transferring program isn't it, a more secure version
of ftp?
So could you tell me if any web hosters would allow you to set up gnupg
by any means, including the password setting and changing process? And
then allow you to use a cgi script you write yourself, that uses the gnupg.
A web hoster could use a wrapper to protect themselves.
I've done the above some years ago. It's just restriction on me if this
isn't allowed now.
Or are there other conventions on how this is done now, such as servlets
or something?
Or should I forget doing what I wish and be obedient to other interests?
From: nomail on
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 19:09:33 +1000, "Jerry" <jerry(a)nospam.no>
wrote:

>What are people's recommendations for cheap and reliable web hosting?
>
>Can I expect to get something for less than $20/month? I need at least
>100MB storage for downloading a demo app.

Sure you can.

Have a look at http://hosting.webcity.com.au/
$7 pm, 10GB storage.

I've used them for several years and no problems.

GC
From: Pete on
Jerry wrote:
> What are people's recommendations for cheap and reliable web hosting?
>
> Can I expect to get something for less than $20/month? I need at least
> 100MB storage for downloading a demo app.

I have two low traffic non-commercial sites hosted with
http://www.jumba.com.au/ (located in ACT) on their personal budget plans
at just $29.95 per year. Their business plans start at $10 per month.

I also have a commercial site hosted with http://www.unlimited-space.com
(located in VIC). Their business plans also start at $10 per month.

I'm quite happy with both companies.

Regards, Peter
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5