From: Rod Speed on
Hugh Jeego wrote:
> "Superman" <"the _man_of_steel"@metropolis.com> wrote in message

>>> http://www.jumba.com.au/hosting/personal
>>>
>>> No problems for me over 2 years.
>>>
>>> Or, how about free hosting?:
>>> http://www.000webhost.com/
>>> not sure how reliable they are
>>
>> If he just wants it to store files, he can could register a domain
>> with godaddy.com for about $14 a year. Their domains come with 10gib
>> of web space free.

> Never EVER use GoDaddy.

I use it all the time.

> A real bad outfit that. For example, I was
> getting work from the NSW state lotteries commission and when I used
> GoDaddy, those bastards summarily killed off my email from them and
> thus I lost money. When I complained to the twits, they told me to
> send the IP address of every mail server I think I might have contact
> with in future. No joke! I told them just to pass through the emails
> to me and let my domain handle spam and they refused. So, I changed
> to Hostgator and never looked back.

I dont use them for email.

From: Craig Welch on
Superman wrote:

> I've never had a problem with them with email. But that poster didn't
> mention email, I think he just wanted hosting, and you can get a .info
> domain with GD at present for just .96c for the first year, and since
> they provide 10 gig of (ad supported) webspace with each domain
> registration, you're effectivley getting 10 gig of file storage for 12
> months for just $1! can't beat that if you just want storage space!

OP wanted far more than 'just hosting'. He wanted CGI and the ability to
run his own encryption.
From: globular on
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> globular wrote:
>> Craig Welch wrote:

>>> I would be *very* surprised if a hosting provider allowed you to use
>>> Telnet.
>>>
>>> Most, including myself, allow for SSH.
>>
>> SSH is only a file transferring program isn't it, a more secure
>> version of ftp?
>
> Nope. Ssh is a 'secure shell' connection. A secure alternative to telnet.

Okay. I'm trying to remember the secure ftp alternative I used a while ago.
It's just that I set something up using telnet some years ago now, and
much has changed since.
Could you upload c source code files and then compile into an executable
using ssh?
From: David on
In article <nDC1n.15720$DY5.8878(a)newsfe08.iad>,
"Jerry" <jerry(a)nospam.no> wrote:

> What are people's recommendations for cheap and reliable web hosting?
>
> Can I expect to get something for less than $20/month? I need at least
> 100MB storage for downloading a demo app.
>
> I heard servergrade is cheap but I've seen some bad reviews.

Do checkout JUMBA - I have been using them for 2 years now and find them
reliable.

Incredibly, they have a first class support service - if there is a que
of callers waiting, a message comes up to leave your phone number and
they will ring you back when your turn in the que comes.

And they do it.

Also they respond promptly to emails

Great service and very reasonable hosting prices

David - a happy customer

PS: I am also using GoDaddy, and have been for some years and have been
most pleased with their service - only went with JUMBA because I prefer
an Oz service when available - but glad I did.
From: David on
In article <ja6dnUWr5OHEt9rWnZ2dnUVZ8sudnZ2d(a)westnet.com.au>,
"Hugh Jeego" <id(a)example.com> wrote:

> "Superman" <"the _man_of_steel"@metropolis.com> wrote in message

> >> http://www.jumba.com.au/hosting/personal
> >>
> >> No problems for me over 2 years.
> >>
> >> Or, how about free hosting?:
> >> http://www.000webhost.com/
> >> not sure how reliable they are
> >
> > If he just wants it to store files, he can could register a domain with
> > godaddy.com for about $14 a year. Their domains come with 10gib of web
> > space free.
> >

> Never EVER use GoDaddy. A real bad outfit that. For example, I was getting
> work from the NSW state lotteries commission and when I used GoDaddy, those
> bastards summarily killed off my email from them and thus I lost money. When
> I complained to the twits, they told me to send the IP address of every mail
> server I think I might have contact with in future. No joke! I told them
> just to pass through the emails to me and let my domain handle spam and they
> refused. So, I changed to Hostgator and never looked back.

That is really weird - I have been using GoDaddy for years and have had
no trouble at all with them - I even get email from State Lotteries!

David
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: speaking of Telstra