From: Sam Gillett on

"Anders Carlsson" wrote ...

> Jim Brain <brain(a)jbrain.com> writes:
>
>> Joe meant the NTSC->VGA converters you can buy all over.
>
> For the record, there are RGB/CGA to VGA converters too, but
> they may not be cheap. If you find one around $100, you
> probably scored a good deal?
>
> http://www.converters.tv/products/converters/rgb_converters/41.html
>
> I'm not sure if CBM=VGA is supposed to be much more sophisticated
> than a general RGB to VGA converter.

Some of the RGB to VGA converters you mention _might_ work with a C128. I
have heard that real IBM RGB monitors will not work with the C128. However,
at least some of the Clone RGB monitors do work with the C128. As a matter
of fact, the Clone RGB monitor I used with my C128 for a while was sharper
and had cleaner colors than my 1902A monitor.

Trouble is, I have no idea which RGB to VGA converters might work and which
might not, so Joe isn't out of the woods yet. And, unlike the single box
solution Allan is supposed to be working on, if Joe needs both 40 and 80
column mode, he would need two boxes and a VGA A/B switch.
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

From: Joseph Fenn on

>> I'm not sure if CBM=VGA is supposed to be much more sophisticated
>> than a general RGB to VGA converter.
>
> Some of the RGB to VGA converters you mention _might_ work with a C128. I
> have heard that real IBM RGB monitors will not work with the C128. However,
> at least some of the Clone RGB monitors do work with the C128. As a matter
> of fact, the Clone RGB monitor I used with my C128 for a while was sharper
> and had cleaner colors than my 1902A monitor.
>
> Trouble is, I have no idea which RGB to VGA converters might work and which
> might not, so Joe isn't out of the woods yet. And, unlike the single box
> solution Allan is supposed to be working on, if Joe needs both 40 and 80
> column mode, he would need two boxes and a VGA A/B switch.
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Sam Gillett
>
> Change is inevitable,
> except from vending machines!

Sam and Jim and Others.
The CBM=VGA box was much more complicated than you guys expect.
They worked on it to clear everything up as far a PAL display was
concerned. Then they got the C64 part fixed up for NTSC, but the
big problem which they are still working on is the NTSC 80 Col
Diaplay for the C128. Thats info stright from Allan himself.
He sent one msg months ago excpecting to start selling the Boxes
as of Feb 06, but that was the last we heard from him so suspect
the problem remains with NTSC/and/the C128.
Joe

From: Jim Brain on
Joseph Fenn wrote:

> The CBM=VGA box was much more complicated than you guys expect.

I already knew that, so I am absolutely not surprised that it is taking
a long time to finish the project. However, based on your past posts on
the matter, you aren't aware of how complicated it is. You have a
incredibly unrealistic expectation on how quickly such a project can be
developed for this market (using the term loosely). Please stop taking
jabs at Allan and his project because it has not yet reached the market
(again, using the term loosely). You already stated in here that you
"didn't bite" on the pre-order, so you're not out anything. Scanning
USENET for your many posts on this subject:

"I agree with the former C=VGA was vaporware from the start and still
is!. "

"Got it from Alan hmself about last December. Of course I did'nt expect
it to be true either. "

"When I see it advertised for sale then "maybe" just Maybe I might give
up and order one, till then its just a long lasting vapor ware item
thats been dodging the bullet for years now."

"I'll believe it when I see it in my hands and if it truly does
what its supposed to do"

With friends like you spreading venom like that in here, Allan doesn't
need enemies. If he reads this group, I'm sure he has a mighty
favorable impression of you.

In short: It's one thing to lament the lack of a shipping unit, but
quite another to imply Allan is dishonest, lazy, or a liar. It's posts
like these that turn promising projects into vaporware, as the
developers lose interest in the face of such nasty commentary.

Jim
From: Dragos on
unfortunately, hyping that you ARE doing something then not coming
through is what creates this kind of reaction. Not that some are not
overboard in their disbelief, but this should be expected. Its like
saying Duke Nukem forever will be out april 6.

and to top it off, the picture on the website is a common
composite/s-video to VGA adapter. What are people supposed to think?

The guy may well be a nice guy and have good intentions, but you
shouldn;t hype things that do not exist.