From: Joseph Fenn on
Was told recently that the NEW BLACK BOX CBM=VGA would be out by
Feb 06 ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Kokomo Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
* Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
* Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR *

From: Robert Bernardo on
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Joseph Fenn wrote:

> Was told recently that the NEW BLACK BOX CBM=VGA would be out by
> Feb 06 ?

Hmm, from where did you get that date, Joe? Allan hasn't given me
any information on a release date.

FCUG celebrating 25 years,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
From: T. on
There really isn't any point IMO, any decent s-video to VGA adapter will do
the job easily, and you can buy one today.

From: a7yvm109gf5d1 on
"There really isn't any point IMO, any decent s-video to VGA adapter
will do
the job easily, and you can buy one today. "

True, but the CBM VGA might do the job of upscanning the 128s 80 column
output. I am not aware of any commercial product that does that. The
RGB input on my converter box is a pass-through. I assume it is the
same for all of them since the market for 15KHz RGB must be pretty
small, though not non-existent. These boxes are meant for the enormous
base of TV video output devices out there.

What the 128 needs is an Amber like the A3000. I wonder how rare the
A2320 is?
Amber is of course overkill for the 128, but it is a proof of concept.

At any rate (hah), Averlogic makes some chips that could do the job.
The AL250 for example. It needs some sort of formatter in front of it
but it is in the digital domain already.

As I've mentionned before, design is the last resort these days since
we are in the age of specifying. If someone (looks around) can be
bothered to figure out exactly what format the AL250 needs and how the
128s digital RGBI output can be mapped to this, we might have a winner
here. I suspect a tiny mess of logic, in a PLD for example, can map
RGBI to 565 RGB or even YUV as needed.

http://www.averlogic.com/password/AL250_251_Data_Sheets.PDF

Toss in a 8 pin micro to program the 250 at power up, and we might have
something. Certainly approaching this problem with discrete parts is
lunacy, and using a FPGA or CPLD would be too expensive.

From: ziggy on
In article <1143984930.110227.233680(a)z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
a7yvm109gf5d1(a)netzero.com wrote:

> "There really isn't any point IMO, any decent s-video to VGA adapter
> will do
> the job easily, and you can buy one today. "
>
> True, but the CBM VGA might do the job of upscanning the 128s 80 column
> output. I am not aware of any commercial product that does that. The
> RGB input on my converter box is a pass-through. I assume it is the
> same for all of them since the market for 15KHz RGB must be pretty
> small, though not non-existent. These boxes are meant for the enormous
> base of TV video output devices out there.
>
> What the 128 needs is an Amber like the A3000. I wonder how rare the
> A2320 is?
> Amber is of course overkill for the 128, but it is a proof of concept.
>
> At any rate (hah), Averlogic makes some chips that could do the job.
> The AL250 for example. It needs some sort of formatter in front of it
> but it is in the digital domain already.
>
> As I've mentionned before, design is the last resort these days since
> we are in the age of specifying. If someone (looks around) can be
> bothered to figure out exactly what format the AL250 needs and how the
> 128s digital RGBI output can be mapped to this, we might have a winner
> here. I suspect a tiny mess of logic, in a PLD for example, can map
> RGBI to 565 RGB or even YUV as needed.
>
> http://www.averlogic.com/password/AL250_251_Data_Sheets.PDF
>
> Toss in a 8 pin micro to program the 250 at power up, and we might have
> something. Certainly approaching this problem with discrete parts is
> lunacy, and using a FPGA or CPLD would be too expensive.

CPLD's are cheap these days.. No reason not to consider using them for
stuff like this. Check out digikey for pricing.