From: William Anderson on
Yeah...sometimes it just needs a reinstall. You might want to run a chkdsk,
defrag, and if you can, download OneCare live and perform a backup.

From: Rob on
Well MSN Messenger just crashed again. Before I rebooted I tried the internet
and could not get on. IE6 seem to just lockup. Once I rebooted the problem
was gone.
I have entire HDD backed up onto a 2nd external HDD. I also just ran a
chkdsk and found no problems.

From: William Anderson on
Try opening a bunch of applications other than explorer and messenger and see
if it locks up again.

From: Rob on
I opened several applications as suggested and IE6 was very slow to respond.
It did lock up a couple of times I tried this but not everytime.
The following entries were found in the event viewer.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Messenger
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 10/05/2006
Time: 9:42:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MULTIMED-719Y7X
The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( Messenger ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able
to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
msnmsgr.exe, 7.5.324.0, wininet.dll, 6.0.2900.2861, 00003670.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 6d 73 6e ure msn
0018: 6d 73 67 72 2e 65 78 65 msgr.exe
0020: 20 37 2e 35 2e 33 32 34 7.5.324
0028: 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 77 69 .0 in wi
0030: 6e 69 6e 65 74 2e 64 6c ninet.dl
0038: 6c 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 l 6.0.29
0040: 30 30 2e 32 38 36 31 20 00.2861
0048: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 at offse
0050: 74 20 30 30 30 30 33 36 t 000036
0058: 37 30 0d 0a 70..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/05/2006
Time: 12:00:02 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MULTIMED-719Y7X
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
wininet.dll, version 6.0.2900.2861, fault address 0x00003670.

Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70 ure exp
0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78 lorer.ex
0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 e 6.0.29
0028: 30 30 2e 32 31 38 30 20 00.2180
0030: 69 6e 20 77 69 6e 69 6e in winin
0038: 65 74 2e 64 6c 6c 20 36 et.dll 6
0040: 2e 30 2e 32 39 30 30 2e .0.2900.
0048: 32 38 36 31 20 61 74 20 2861 at
0050: 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 offset 0
0058: 30 30 30 33 36 37 30 0d 0003670.
0060: 0a .

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 11/05/2006
Time: 5:01:58 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MULTIMED-719Y7X
Fault bucket 283025247.

Data:
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 32 38 33 30 32 35 32 34 28302524
0010: 37 0d 0a 7..

I hope this helps. These were found at the time of last 2 crashes. I find it
odd that the error pop up initially states a windows explorer error.

From: William Anderson on
Hey there Rob,

Download and install SandraLite and run the memory tests and see if the
machine locks up. Run the tests with all other applications closed. I'm
thinking you may have a memory issue and may need to get it replaced.

Get Sandra here:
http://www.download.com/SANDRA-Lite/3000-2086_4-10451861.html?tag=lst-0-1

Let me know what happens!

Best Regards,