From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
>
>> I agree with you about Live Onecare. it did suck.
>>
>> That said - Windows now has Microsoft Security Essential at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
>>
>> which seems to be working for me.
>> It found 2 infections that Norton 360 did not.
>> So far, I like it.
>>
>> "Warren" <Warren(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> have any of you ever used windows live onecare...a waste of $50.00.
>>> Now i
>>> know why they are discontinuing it. it finds NOTHING and i have to
>>> run
>>> antispyware and antimalware to keep my pc clean. please suggest the
>>> best
>>> free protection for my machine since i won't be using this one
>>> anymore.
>
> To clarify, the anti-virus engine used in MSE is different than the
> one that
> was used in OneCare. That is, you aren't stuck with the same bad AV
> that
> was in OneCare.

Which engines are in MSE now? All I can find is references to Forefront
and earlier.

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Warren" <Warren(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> have any of you ever used windows live onecare...a waste of $50.00.
> Now i
> know why they are discontinuing it. it finds NOTHING and i have to
> run
> antispyware and antimalware to keep my pc clean. please suggest the
> best
> free protection for my machine since i won't be using this one
> anymore.

I never used OneCare.

I use Avast! free version on one laptop (Vista) and AntiVir free version
on the other (XP Pro). I'm depending on the fact that I can download and
execute Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware free version as
I find the need. I use the native firewall on each even though I am
behind a rudimentary firewall in the form of a router. I use ClamWin
(when I'm bored) and have Windows Defender also running.

Then again, my needs may be simpler than yours.

From: VanguardLH on
FromTheRafters wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> To clarify, the anti-virus engine used in MSE is different than the one
>> that was used in OneCare. That is, you aren't stuck with the same bad
>> AV that was in OneCare.
>
> Which engines are in MSE now? All I can find is references to Forefront
> and earlier.

Yep, Forefront in MSE. It was their acquired GeCAD's RAV that they rolled
into their OneLive product. OneLive (with its GeCAD AV) always showed poor
coverage. Alas, in the Nov 2009 av-comparative.org testing, MSE (with its
Forefront engine) was also doing very, VERY poorly. Hopefully that will
jump up significantly in the next review due in another 3 months. This is
not the only way to measure effectiveness but does give some indication of
effectiveness.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/jun03/06-10gecadpr.mspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_OneCare

I don't recall ever seeing GeCAD in any av-comparative.org review (or it was
so long ago that I didn't recognize the name when I saw Microsoft acquired
this product). Could be they wouldn't submit a sample, didn't want the
results reported, or were so poor for coverage that they didn't make the top
listed products. OneLive (that used GeCAD AV) did get reported but started
out at a very low coverage, so low that I never bothered to retain any
memory about its coverage other than it sucked. Coverage grew slowly and
steadily but was never great. Anything under 95% is too low. It never
seemed a rationale choice since *free* AV products did so much better.
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote ...
>>
>>> To clarify, the anti-virus engine used in MSE is different than the
>>> one
>>> that was used in OneCare. That is, you aren't stuck with the same
>>> bad
>>> AV that was in OneCare.
>>
>> Which engines are in MSE now? All I can find is references to
>> Forefront
>> and earlier.
>
> Yep, Forefront in MSE.

I read in some blurb about MSE that the scanning system is based on the
same one in Forefront. Then I read some blurb about Forefront's scanning
being based on the AntiGen system, then found this:

=====================
Q. What antivirus scan engines are included with Antigen?
A. Antigen products support multiple scan engines from industry-leading
vendors. Below is a chart of what scan engines are available with each
product.
Microsoft Antigen for Exchange

Microsoft, CA InoculateIT, CA Vet, Norman, Sophos
=====================

I musta taken a wrong turn somewhere - are there multiple (and
non-Microsoft) scanning engines involved in MSE?

> It was their acquired GeCAD's RAV that they rolled
> into their OneLive product. OneLive (with its GeCAD AV) always showed
> poor
> coverage. Alas, in the Nov 2009 av-comparative.org testing, MSE (with
> its
> Forefront engine) was also doing very, VERY poorly. Hopefully that
> will
> jump up significantly in the next review due in another 3 months.
> This is
> not the only way to measure effectiveness but does give some
> indication of
> effectiveness.

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/jun03/06-10gecadpr.mspx

I will check that out later, thanks.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_OneCare
>
> I don't recall ever seeing GeCAD in any av-comparative.org review (or
> it was
> so long ago that I didn't recognize the name when I saw Microsoft
> acquired
> this product). Could be they wouldn't submit a sample, didn't want
> the
> results reported, or were so poor for coverage that they didn't make
> the top
> listed products.

:o)

> OneLive (that used GeCAD AV) did get reported but started
> out at a very low coverage, so low that I never bothered to retain any
> memory about its coverage other than it sucked. Coverage grew slowly
> and
> steadily but was never great. Anything under 95% is too low. It
> never
> seemed a rationale choice since *free* AV products did so much better.

It always worried me just what type of malware existed in that last 5%.
While a detector that gets almost everything except the viruses with
polymorphic self-decryption routines could lead one to believe it is
adequate for protection from the most prevalent type of malware out
there (i.e. lame) - and have a good showing when measured against such
malware in its test set. Would be a complete failure if the threat
landscape suddenly changed to more sophisticated viruses.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org>

| "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> FromTheRafters wrote:

>>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> Which engines are in MSE now? All I can find is references to
>>> Forefront
>>> and earlier.

>> Yep, Forefront in MSE.

| I read in some blurb about MSE that the scanning system is based on the
| same one in Forefront. Then I read some blurb about Forefront's scanning
| being based on the AntiGen system, then found this:

| =====================
| Q. What antivirus scan engines are included with Antigen?
| A. Antigen products support multiple scan engines from industry-leading
| vendors. Below is a chart of what scan engines are available with each
| product.
| Microsoft Antigen for Exchange

| Microsoft, CA InoculateIT, CA Vet, Norman, Sophos

| I musta taken a wrong turn somewhere - are there multiple (and
| non-Microsoft) scanning engines involved in MSE?

NO.

The engine is from the purchase of RAV and was the basis of Live OneCare and is successor
MSE.

--
Dave