From: VanguardLH on
David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org>
>
>| "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message

>>> Yep, Forefront in MSE.
>
>| I read in some blurb about MSE that the scanning system is based on the
>| same one in Forefront. Then I read some blurb about Forefront's scanning
>| being based on the AntiGen system, then found this:
>
>| =====================
>| Q. What antivirus scan engines are included with Antigen?
>| A. Antigen products support multiple scan engines from industry-leading
>| vendors. Below is a chart of what scan engines are available with each
>| product.
>| Microsoft Antigen for Exchange
>
>| Microsoft, CA InoculateIT, CA Vet, Norman, Sophos
>| =====================
>
>| I musta taken a wrong turn somewhere - are there multiple (and
>| non-Microsoft) scanning engines involved in MSE?
>
> NO.
>
> The engine is from the purchase of RAV and was the basis of Live OneCare and is successor
> MSE.

Nope. Remove the "and". OneCare and MSE use different anti-virus engines.

Sybari Antigen --.--> Forefront
'--> MSE (via Forefront Client Security)
GeCAD RAV -----> OneCare

Microsoft acquired Sybari Software Inc, a Romanian firm with NY offices, in
June 2005. With the acquisition, Microsoft acquired the Antigen line of
security products which got renamed to the Forefront product line and became
the basis for Microsoft's family of enterprise-level security products.

See: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/feb05/02-08SybariPR.mspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials

Microsoft purchased the Reliable AntiVirus (RAV) product from GeCAD, another
Romanian firm (Bucharest) but which continues to exist as its own company,
in June 2003. Users had to wait another 2 years before RAV showed up in the
summer of 2005 in a beta version of OneCare.

See: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/jun03/06-10gecadpr.mspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onecare

Both were acquisitions of or purchases from Romanian companies. I didn't
find out how much Microsoft paid to acquire Sybari and what they paid to buy
the RAV product. Antigen was a suite of enterprise-level security solutions
that became the Forefront family line with its Forefront Client Security
desktop agent going into MSE. RAV was a end-user security solution and went
into OneCare (and looks to have died there).
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message

>>> Yep, Forefront in MSE.
>
> | I read in some blurb about MSE that the scanning system is based on
> the
> | same one in Forefront. Then I read some blurb about Forefront's
> scanning
> | being based on the AntiGen system, then found this:
>
> | =====================
> | Q. What antivirus scan engines are included with Antigen?
> | A. Antigen products support multiple scan engines from
> industry-leading
> | vendors. Below is a chart of what scan engines are available with
> each
> | product.
> | Microsoft Antigen for Exchange
>
> | Microsoft, CA InoculateIT, CA Vet, Norman, Sophos
> | =====================
>
> | I musta taken a wrong turn somewhere - are there multiple (and
> | non-Microsoft) scanning engines involved in MSE?
>
> NO.
>
> The engine is from the purchase of RAV and was the basis of Live
> OneCare and is successor
> MSE.

Well then, lets hope it can live up to mediocre. :o)

From: Peter Foldes on
http://www.ravantivirus.com/pages/

--
Peter

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH>

| Nope. Remove the "and". OneCare and MSE use different anti-virus engines.

| Sybari Antigen --.--> Forefront
| '--> MSE (via Forefront Client Security)
| GeCAD RAV -----> OneCare

| Microsoft acquired Sybari Software Inc, a Romanian firm with NY offices, in
| June 2005. With the acquisition, Microsoft acquired the Antigen line of
| security products which got renamed to the Forefront product line and became
| the basis for Microsoft's family of enterprise-level security products.

See:: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/feb05/02-08SybariPR.mspx
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials

| Microsoft purchased the Reliable AntiVirus (RAV) product from GeCAD, another
| Romanian firm (Bucharest) but which continues to exist as its own company,
| in June 2003. Users had to wait another 2 years before RAV showed up in the
| summer of 2005 in a beta version of OneCare.

See:: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/jun03/06-10gecadpr.mspx
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onecare

| Both were acquisitions of or purchases from Romanian companies. I didn't
| find out how much Microsoft paid to acquire Sybari and what they paid to buy
| the RAV product. Antigen was a suite of enterprise-level security solutions
| that became the Forefront family line with its Forefront Client Security
| desktop agent going into MSE. RAV was a end-user security solution and went
| into OneCare (and looks to have died there).

I'm not convinced. As far as I know there is only ONE Microsoft AV engine and ONE set of
signatures and that was OneCare and is now MSE. Perhaps something else is the engine for
MS MRT.

I have a couple of contacts to ping. I will look into this.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH>

UPDATE:

The same engine is used in ALL; Malicious Software Removal Tool, OneCare and Security
Essentials.
However, The signature sets are not necessarily the same.

I was told "...it's not exactly the GeCAD RAV engine any longer - the code has evolved..."
:-)

This is a DEFINITIVE answer.

--
Dave