From: LittleAlex on
On Mar 19, 9:56 am, "HT-Lab" <han...(a)ht-lab.com> wrote:

> Depending on what you want to do with the core but I would suggest you also have
> a look at the Amba bus since (thanks to Gaisler research?) this bus seems to be
> gaining popularity amonst the space/mil-aero users.
>
> Hanswww.ht-lab.com

I have an objection to the AMBA bus. Namely: "This document is only
available in a PDF version to registered ARM customers."

Yuck.
From: HT-Lab on

"LittleAlex" <alex.louie(a)email.com> wrote in message
On Mar 19, 9:56 am, "HT-Lab" <han...(a)ht-lab.com> wrote:

> Depending on what you want to do with the core but I would suggest you also
> have
> a look at the Amba bus since (thanks to Gaisler research?) this bus seems to
> be
> gaining popularity amonst the space/mil-aero users.
>
> Hanswww.ht-lab.com
>

>I have an objection to the AMBA bus. Namely: "This document is only
>available in a PDF version to registered ARM customers."
>
>Yuck.

There are lots of places were you can legally download it from, if you do a
google search (amba bus protocol) then the first entry is wikipedia and the
second is:

http://ens.ewi.tudelft.nl/Education/courses/et4351/amba.pdf

If you read the second page it states:

Document confidentiality status
This document is Open Access. This document has no restriction on distribution.

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

From: jt_eaton on
>Hi everyone,
>I'm just about to start an implementation of an open spacewire IP core
>(still trying to understand under which license, GPL, LGPL, CeCILL...)
>and I was wondering whether is a good idea to have a wishbone interface
>implemented.
>I am pretty new to SoC bus and even though google is "one of my best
>friends" I still didn't get the feeling how popular it is and how spread
>it is at the moment or will be in the future.
>If anyone has any opinion I would be glad to listen to it.
>Thanks a lot,
>
>Al
>
>--
>Alessandro Basili
>CERN, PH/UGC
>Hardware Designer

Yes and no,

First create your core logic as a "headless" design with no bus interface.
Make a testbench that directly drives and tests the ports of this core
design.

Then create a module with a wishbone interface and connections for all the
ports of your core that do not connect to a higher level. Your design will
consist of a wrapper containing these two modules. Copy your test suite and
rewrite it to use the wishbone bus where needed.

DO NOT create a wishbone interface and then place your core logic below it
in the hierarchy. If you do and then later want to support a different bus
then you are screwed. If you keep the wishbone in one module then it is
alot easier to take that module and convert it into something like a AHB
bus.
You want to be able to add new buses without touching the core.

John

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: Alessandro Basili on
> Yes and no,
>
> First create your core logic as a "headless" design with no bus interface.
> Make a testbench that directly drives and tests the ports of this core
> design.
>
> Then create a module with a wishbone interface and connections for all the
> ports of your core that do not connect to a higher level. Your design will
> consist of a wrapper containing these two modules. Copy your test suite and
> rewrite it to use the wishbone bus where needed.
>
> DO NOT create a wishbone interface and then place your core logic below it
> in the hierarchy. If you do and then later want to support a different bus
> then you are screwed. If you keep the wishbone in one module then it is
> alot easier to take that module and convert it into something like a AHB
> bus.
> You want to be able to add new buses without touching the core.

Hi John, I completely got your point and I'm really happy you pointed
that out, because most probably I would have made a big mistake! It
makes perfectly sense to me and it's surely the way I will go.
Thanks again,

Al

p.s.: funny how very simple ideas sometimes are not so evident to all of us.

--
Alessandro Basili
CERN, PH/UGC
From: Alessandro Basili on
On 3/20/2010 10:46 AM, HT-Lab wrote:

> There are lots of places were you can legally download it from, if you do a
> google search (amba bus protocol) then the first entry is wikipedia and the
> second is:
>
> http://ens.ewi.tudelft.nl/Education/courses/et4351/amba.pdf
>
> If you read the second page it states:
>
> Document confidentiality status
> This document is Open Access. This document has no restriction on distribution.

I just had a read to this document:
http://www.opencores.org/downloads/soc_bus_comparison.pdf

Apparently the wishbone seams much easier to use then the other two
reported, but it seems to be it doesn't support address pipelining (as
Rob already mentioned), which so far I don't have any element to
evaluate whether this is a main problem or not.

My main intent is to promote, or support and spread the concept of
_reuse_ especially in the research world (where I belong to) where
people are kind of keen to "reinvent" the wheel. I believe that a lot of
efforts can be made more fruitful if a common interface would be available.

Al

--
Alessandro Basili
CERN, PH/UGC