From: Nervous Nick on
On Jul 16, 10:32 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
> On 2010-07-16 19:49:13 -0700, Nervous Nick <nervous.n...(a)gmail.com> said:

> >> As I stated in my response to your over x-posted to alt.photography;
>
> >> What coverage are they providing for your $14, that your renters policy
> >> for your property does not cover?
>
> > They are covering the indivitual item, with no deductible.  If
> > something happens to his camera he will be fully reimbursed, up to
> > replacement cost.
>
> I wouldn't be too sure about that. Have you read the coverage he has
> been provided.
>

> > If he claims it on his renters insurance, most likely it would be
> > subject to a $500 (or whatever) deductible that is standard with most
> > renters policies.
>
> In the case of my Allstate Home Owner's insurance claim the deductible
> was $250.
>
> However, regardless of me providing proof of my costs for the items
> stolen, Allstate compensated on actual retail list price. This put me
> ahead of the game even after the deductible and depreciation (which was
> recoverable). I was able to upgrade to a D300s, and replace the
> 18-200mm VRII for less than my original cost.
> <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Allstate-CES.jpg>

Nice!

From: Peter on
> On 2010-07-16 19:49:13 -0700, Nervous Nick <nervous.nick(a)gmail.com> said:

>>> As I stated in my response to your over x-posted to alt.photography;
>>>
>>> What coverage are they providing for your $14, that your renters policy
>>> for your property does not cover?
>>
>> They are covering the indivitual item, with no deductible. If
>> something happens to his camera he will be fully reimbursed, up to
>> replacement cost.
>
> I wouldn't be too sure about that. Have you read the coverage he has been
> provided.
>

>> If he claims it on his renters insurance, most likely it would be
>> subject to a $500 (or whatever) deductible that is standard with most
>> renters policies.
>
> In the case of my Allstate Home Owner's insurance claim the deductible was
> $250.
>
> However, regardless of me providing proof of my costs for the items
> stolen, Allstate compensated on actual retail list price. This put me
> ahead of the game even after the deductible and depreciation (which was
> recoverable). I was able to upgrade to a D300s, and replace the 18-200mm
> VRII for less than my original cost.
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Allstate-CES.jpg >
> ID information has been redacted.

You have illustrated the benefits of having a replacement value policy. The
couple of bucks you paid was well worth it.

--
Peter

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-17 17:40:05 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> They are covering the indivitual item, with no deductible. If
>>> something happens to his camera he will be fully reimbursed, up to
>>> replacement cost.
>>
>> I wouldn't be too sure about that. Have you read the coverage he has
>> been provided.
>>

>>> If he claims it on his renters insurance, most likely it would be
>>> subject to a $500 (or whatever) deductible that is standard with most
>>> renters policies.
>>
>> In the case of my Allstate Home Owner's insurance claim the deductible
>> was $250.
>>
>> However, regardless of me providing proof of my costs for the items
>> stolen, Allstate compensated on actual retail list price. This put me
>> ahead of the game even after the deductible and depreciation (which was
>> recoverable). I was able to upgrade to a D300s, and replace the
>> 18-200mm VRII for less than my original cost.
>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Allstate-CES.jpg >
>> ID information has been redacted.
>>

> You have illustrated the benefits of having a replacement value policy.
> The couple of bucks you paid was well worth it.

Yup. I thought that by providing evidence of my experience others might
benefit.
I have nothing but good things to say about the way Allstate handled my claim.

There is the side benefit of making these purchases online. I had
complete documentation of all my transactions, the D300 + lens, the
BlackRapid strap, 16GB CF card, and Promote GPS.
Also, I took the time to report the theft to local police in Cape Town,
South Africa, and got a copy of the initial report and a report from
the assigned investigator. So if you ever find your self in this
situation, take a deep breath and get all your ducks in a row before
making that call to your insurance company.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Peter on
> On 2010-07-17 17:40:05 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>

>> You have illustrated the benefits of having a replacement value policy.
>> The couple of bucks you paid was well worth it.
>
> Yup. I thought that by providing evidence of my experience others might
> benefit.
> I have nothing but good things to say about the way Allstate handled my
> claim.
>
> There is the side benefit of making these purchases online. I had complete
> documentation of all my transactions, the D300 + lens, the BlackRapid
> strap, 16GB CF card, and Promote GPS.
> Also, I took the time to report the theft to local police in Cape Town,
> South Africa, and got a copy of the initial report and a report from the
> assigned investigator. So if you ever find your self in this situation,
> take a deep breath and get all your ducks in a row before making that call
> to your insurance company.

A bout five years ago I had an "interesting" conversation with an Allstate
representative. One of their insured's drove his car into my living room.
The representative wanted my version of the accident. I started by saying I
as carefully and slowly driving my house, looking in both directions. It
took several minutes before this idiot got my point. Oh! Yes I too had a
replacement cost policy and I was fully reimbursed. I even received my
deductible back.

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:57:31 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-07-17 17:40:05 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>>

>>> You have illustrated the benefits of having a replacement value policy.
>>> The couple of bucks you paid was well worth it.
>>
>> Yup. I thought that by providing evidence of my experience others might
>> benefit.
>> I have nothing but good things to say about the way Allstate handled my
>> claim.
>>
>> There is the side benefit of making these purchases online. I had complete
>> documentation of all my transactions, the D300 + lens, the BlackRapid
>> strap, 16GB CF card, and Promote GPS.
>> Also, I took the time to report the theft to local police in Cape Town,
>> South Africa, and got a copy of the initial report and a report from the
>> assigned investigator. So if you ever find your self in this situation,
>> take a deep breath and get all your ducks in a row before making that call
>> to your insurance company.
>

>A bout five years ago I had an "interesting" conversation with an Allstate
>representative. One of their insured's drove his car into my living room.
>The representative wanted my version of the accident. I started by saying I
>as carefully and slowly driving my house, looking in both directions. It
>took several minutes before this idiot got my point. Oh! Yes I too had a
>replacement cost policy and I was fully reimbursed. I even received my
>deductible back.

That must be the same claims adjuster who asked my wife how fast she
was driving when his client hit my wife's parked car in the mall
parking lot. She was in the mall at the time. On foot.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida