Prev: XP SP3
Next: Free FTP
From: Scott Vita on

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message

> Sounds like open tuning is where I should prolly start.

It's easier to get started and some styles demand open tuning, but you can
play great slide in standard. It just takes a little more work.

> That sound considerably more difficult, although I do have a feel for
> dampening strings with my right hand when hitting some chords.

In standard you have the D,G and B strings that form a chord at one fret.
You have to mute the others, but it's really not that tough. Think about the
A-barre shape and you basically have the same thing as an open tuning. You
just have to work a little more to make it happen.

> Those look cool. I'll most likely go to guitar Center, since they are
> real
> close, but if they don's have something along these lines, there is a
> small
> guitar shop further down the road.

My guess is you won't find these slides at GC. It's a personal thing, but
I've tried a TON of slides and these that I recommend are far and away
better than the mass produced types.

> I'm glad you said that, because I think it would feel akward using my
> pinky. I guess I'll have them let me sit down with a guitar and try some
> out on different fingers.

Pinky is good because it allows three fingers free to fret notes. Keb Mo
uses his pinky, but his pinky is probably about the size and girth of my
middle finger. I can fret well with my pinky, but for slide I quickly
realized the little guy just couldn't cut it.

> I would think heavier would be easier, just based on my dinking around on
> friend's Emmons steel, which has a heavy chunk of metal for the slide.

The Mr B slide I use is heavy, thick glass with the natural taper of a
bottleneck. I brought it up to Massachusetts on my recent vacation and
everyone that tried it loved it. It's got the best tone and feel of any
slide I've ever tried.

Scott Vita

From: Ricky Hunt on

> 1930s model Gibson acoustic guitar. Well, today I got the guitar that my
> grand parents gave my uncle, back in the 1930s. It's been restored by the
> same luthier who did the red white and blue guitars for Buck Owens. It
> looks brand new, and plays better than either my Fender rosewood/spruce
> acoustic, or my Fender Stratocoustic guitars. I'll be using this in some
> upcoming song for sure. Because it has been restored, it's not a valuable
> collectible, but my cousin said if he hadn't had it restored, it would
> literally be in pieces. For me, the fact that is a family heirloom from
> the 30s, and a cool musical instrument that works and is usable for
> recording today, makes it more valuable than if it were just a original
> vintage 30s Gibson.
>
> http://members.cox.net/spambaconandspam/30s_Gibson.jpg

It's funny how much some of these classics look like "cheap" guitars today
(ever seen any old Kay's guitars?). But they sound and play like a dream. I
watch shows like "What The Tudors Did For Us", "Ancient Almanac" (especially
if it's about Roma, Greece, Sparta, etc.) and think how sad it is that we've
lost all that craftsmanship. They did things by hand we can hardly do with a
computer. And there's practically nothing in our society we think of as new
that wasn't done at least 2,000 years ago (sometimes 10,000 years ago).

From: Scott Vita on

> So with taper, is it still possible to solidly sit on all six strings?

Yes. It's flat, but just bigger on one end than the other. I like to keep
the bigger end on top. The Mr. B's slide I have is probably not quite long
enough to lay across all six strings, but I have others that are more than
long enough. If you find a dealer that has Mr. B's I recommend you try the
entire selection to find one that feels right to you.

Scott Vita

From: Monty Parts on
Glennbo wrote:
> > 1930s model Gibson acoustic guitar. Because it has been restored, it's not a valuable
> collectible, but my cousin said if he hadn't had it restored, it would
> literally be in pieces.

Being restored affects some of the value. It's still a very valuable
collectors item, in no small
part due to you know the history of the guitar.
As you've discovered small body acoustics are wunderkinds for recording.
Congratulations about it all.

>>For me, the fact that is a family heirloom from
> the 30s, and a cool musical instrument that works and is usable for
> recording today, makes it more valuable than if it were just a original
> vintage 30s Gibson.

Personal value is the only worthwhile rating to give guitars...IMO Of
Course.

Papanate
From: Scott Vita on

> It's way more valuable to me as a playable restored instrument that my
> uncle and dad used to play on, than it would be as an original condition
> wall hanging trophy.

One more thing I should have mentioned with regards to choosing a slide.
Some people like a slide that covers almost the entire finger, while others
prefer it to cover only to the second knuckle. If you're going to wear it on
your pinky you will probably want it to cover almost your entire finger. I
use it on my ring finger to the second knuckle. To me this makes for a much
more comfortable wrist position. With the slide all the way down you'll have
to keep the guitar pretty damn high to maintain a comfortable wrist angle.

Look at these photos and note the wrist angle of both players.

Bonnie Raitt with the slide on her middle finger, second knuckle:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff109/stljerry/Blues/BonnieRaitt2.jpg

Keb Mo with slide on pinky, down past the second knuckle:

http://paulparksphotography.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Concert-Photos/keb_mo_026_std_std.jpg

Keb's got pretty long arms so he can still wear the guitar at a medium
height. I'd have to be wearing it closer to my chest to use the slide that
way. I just found it uncomfortable.

Something for you to think about, anyway.

Also, here's a little slide primer from Bob Brozman. This dude is one
badass slide player.

http://www.bobbrozman.com/tip_slide.html

Scott Vita

> --
> Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
> ________ ____
> / ____/ /__ ____ ____ / __ )____
> Glennbo http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
> Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/jambits