From: Thomas Giammo on
With everyone trying to help me, my initial panic has subsided (somewhat) and I've become more organized in trying out the various alternatives.

Since my last posting, I have also restored to an earlier checkpoint from this past Monday - without effect.

Let me summarize my current configuration settings (in response to the request of PA Bear et al.):
* the computer with the problem runs WIN 7 64bit Home Premium Edition Build 7600. Both the 32bit and 64bit versions of MSIE 8 file are identified as "8.00 7600.16385".

* my computer was originally on Vista 64bit and was upgraded to WIN 7 64bit via the HP free upgrade procedure.

* I just ran the MSIE8 "no-add-ons" procedure - without any effect.

* I have again reset the advanced settings (including "delete personal settings") - without effect.

* I have TrendMicro's Internet Security and run "critical folder sweeps" several times a day and complete sweeps at least once a month. I just now have run a complete sweep and it found no problems. TrendMicro does have a firewall, as does my home network router. TrendMicro also incorporates some anti-spyware features.

* I recall that the original HP setup on Vista had a McAfee application, which I never ran and soon removed.

I now suspect that the problem that I am having in typing into 32bit MSIE 8 may only affect the Query Term edit-box on the Google.com site.

When I attempt to type into that box, most letters do not appear. I now have noticed that when I use the "Advanced Search" form on the same Google.com site, however, I encounter no such problems. Furthermore, I do not encounter any problem when using the 32bit MSIE 8 when typing into any of the forms I have tried on Facebook and on the forms on some on my own sites. I also never have any problem when using the 64bit MSIE 8, even with the Google.com Search Term edit-box, - nor does my wife have any problems on her WIN 7 64bit machine with the Google.com or any other site using either her 32bit or 64bit versions of MSIE 8.

Tom Giammo

From: Thomas Giammo on
Robert:

I don't have a fingerprint reader.

Tom Giammo

From: PA Bear [MS-MVP] on
> ...I recall that the original HP setup on Vista had a McAfee application, which I never ran and soon removed.

McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling
(or upgrading) cleanly.

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to
your desktop: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
taskbar).

3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the
run completes, then reboot.

4. Reset IE8 32-bit (and IE8 64-bit, if necessary) per
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings

5. Reboot & test.

NB: The continuing presence of those McAfee "leftovers" may have led
to a "horked" upgrade to Win7 64-bit. YMMV.
--
~PA Bear

From: Thomas Giammo on
I followed your instructions and was surprised to see that the McAfee removal tool actually appeared to purging programs - in spite of the fact that I had "uninstalled" McAfee ages ago. The removal, however, had no effect.

I believe that I may have finally solved my problem. I again looked at the add-ons for the 32bit version of MSIE 8. I had previously disabled most of them, including two associated with the product "Ghostery" that was recommended in a recent Wall Street Journal Article as helping to protect against tracking spyware. This time, however, I decided to completely uninstall the Ghostery software instead of merely disabling it in the add-ons window.

This appeared to do the trick! The typing problem in the google search box within the Win 7 32bit MSIE 8 has gone away.

Tom Giammo

From: Thomas Giammo on
I'd like to thank all those who assisted me in diagnosing my problem. I
believe that I have finally solved it!

To make a long story short, the problem appears to have been caused by two
"add-ons" to my 32bit MSIE 8 browser set by a product called "Ghostery". I
had installed Ghostery as an add-on in my win 7 64bit machine about a week
before my initial posting, based upon a strong recommendation in a technical
article in the Wall Street Journal about foiling spyware.

The problem I was having was evidenced in an inability to enter search
criterion into the google.com edit box. Some typed characters would
randomly make it into the box, but most would not. This only affected the
32bit Browser and not the 64bit browser in my machine - and not in either
browser on my wife's similar Win 7 64bit machine.

In the course of attacking this problem, I had (among many other things)
"disabled" the Ghostery add-ons via the "manage add-ons" facility in my
32bit browser. This did not cure the problem. It was only when I
"uninstalled" the Ghostery software (via the "uninstall program" in the
Control Panel") did the problem go away. I was meticulous in making changes
only one at a time, rebooting, and then testing and thus I am confident that
Ghostery software was the cause.

This, however, raises questions in my mind about how "add-ons" are managed.
What exactly does "disabling" an add-on accomplish if one has to purge the
add-on's code before it has any effect?

Tom Giammo