From: Inertial on

"PD" <thedraperfamily(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 1, 3:21 am, "Y.Porat" <y.y.po...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 31 2009, 9:21 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> > If you've been led to believe that momentum is a property of a moving
>> > mass and SOLELY a moving mass, then you've been misled.
>> > It is often stated that FOR a moving mass, the momentum is defined as
>> > mass x velocity.
>> > This turns out also to be a lie.
>>
>> > First of all, it's not a definition, it's an empirically derived rule.
>>
>> > Secondly, it's not right, though it works very well at low velocities.
>> > At higher velocities, you have to use gamma x mass x velocity, where
>> > gamma is a number that is darn close to 1 for low speeds but gets
>> > bigger and bigger as you get to an appreciable fraction of the speed
>> > of light.
>>
>> --------------------------
>> and who the hell told you that this Gamma
>> is attached to the mass??
>
> It isn't attached to the mass. It's a factor that is included in the
> expression for momentum of massive objects. That's one of three
> factors, none of which is "attached" to any of the others.
>
>> just because you understand only algebra parroting ???
>> and evn by algebra that you understand
>>
>> how about
>> instead of
>> momentum = gamma m v
>>
>> Momentum /gamma = m v
>>
>> in that case you dont have to **Invent***
>> a new kind of mass !!!!!!
>
> Nor am I inventing a new kind of mass here. What I'm doing is writing
> the CORRECT expression for the momentum of a massive object.
>

>> **and m re,mains constant !!!???
>> how about thinking physics
>> and not parroting
>> btw
>> as for the photon
>> THE GAMMA FACTOR DOES NOT APPLY AT ALL TO IT !!
>
> That's correct, and the formula momentum = gamma x mass x velocity
> doesn't apply to photons at all.

Not in the form written, as it involves a division by zero and so is
indeterminate or infinite. I've explained that to Porat many times before.

If you rewrite it as:

mass = momentum / gamma / velocity

Then the factor of 1/gamma makes the expressions zero so you have

mass = 0

Which is, of course, correct for photons.

gamma appearing as a multiplier in a formula for something travelling at c
will results in infinite or indeterminate values. But it is quite valid to
divide by it (which is equivalent to multiplying by zero)

From: Y.Porat on
On Jan 1, 8:28 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 3:21 am, "Y.Porat" <y.y.po...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 31 2009, 9:21 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If you've been led to believe that momentum is a property of a moving
> > > mass and SOLELY a moving mass, then you've been misled.
> > > It is often stated that FOR a moving mass, the momentum is defined as
> > > mass x velocity.
> > > This turns out also to be a lie.
>
> > > First of all, it's not a definition, it's an empirically derived rule..
>
> > > Secondly, it's not right, though it works very well at low velocities..
> > > At higher velocities, you have to use gamma x mass x velocity, where
> > > gamma is a number that is darn close to 1 for low speeds but gets
> > > bigger and bigger as you get to an appreciable fraction of the speed
> > > of light.
>
> > --------------------------
> > and who the hell told you that this Gamma
> > is attached to the mass??
>
> It isn't attached to the mass. It's a factor that is included in the
> expression for momentum of massive objects. That's one of three
> factors, none of which is "attached" to any of the others.
> ------------------
if so it is much better for my claim (:-)
we will see later ....

> > just because you understand only algebra  parroting ???
> > and evn by algebra that you understand
>
> > how about
> > instead of
> > momentum = gamma   m v
>
> > Momentum /gamma   = m v
>
> > in   that case you dont have to **Invent***
> > a new kind of mass   !!!!!!
>
> Nor am I inventing a new kind of mass here. What I'm doing is writing
> the CORRECT expression for the momentum of a massive object.

we will see (JUST LATER )that concluding that mass if infalated
(based on that) is just an unjustified INTERPRETATION !!

> > **and m re,mains constant   !!!???
> > how about thinking physics
> > and not parroting
> > btw
> > as for the photon
> >  THE GAMMA FACTOR DOES NOT APPLY AT ALL TO IT !!
>
> That's correct, and the formula momentum = gamma x mass x velocity
> doesn't apply to photons at all.

yes exactly
and i always have to argue about it
with parrots !!
because (among the others ) the photon
moves at c
andno mare exeleration
and
V=c is A LIMIT CASE even mathematically
not to mention - physically !!
anyway
lets examine a mass wich moves at the velocity
- something less that c just folowing:
--------------

> A wholly different expression for momentum is used for photons.
yes
and there is the famous formula for a **mixture* of
photons and bigger particles !!
------------

> > it is another indication about the  need to  know
> > were and how to use it !!!
> > 9bacause of ambiguity situations !!!
> > --------------
>
> > > Third, this rule ONLY applies for moving masses, and should not be
> > > used for just anything that has momentum. Other entities also carry
> > > momentum but not described by that rule.
>
> > > In the end, what momentum is, is whatever quantity can be ascribed to
> > > a physical entity such that the total of that quantity for all objects
> > > of all kinds in a closed system is constant. It's still remarkable
> > > that such a rule can be found at all.
> > > ---------------------
>
> > (:-)
> > Hi  abstract   philosopher  !!
>
> Nothing abstract about it. It's really very straightforward and
> practical.

-----------------
now since you PD still was not able to bring
ACTUAL SPECIFIC EXAMPLES
i will do it instead of you :

lets take a mass (not a photon) say
an electron or even a proton (say like in the LHC)
and examine it in TWO SITUATIONS:
1
it moves in a velocity muchless than c amd let it collide say with a
lead screen
and examine its momentum of collission wihtthat screen
2
lets take exactly the above particle
but this time with a velocity
*very close to c
and examine its momentum collision
with that above lead screen

can you show us your analysis and calculations
**comparing the two cases ??**
incuding the *force* exserted on that screen !!

that analysis can be of course not numerically
but just by formulas

btw
the question is not only to PD
it is for anyone else who want to do it
(not including Feuerbacher from heidelberg ..
because of obvious reasons (:-)

TIA
Y.Porat
----------------------------

From: PD on
On Jan 2, 1:10 am, "Y.Porat" <y.y.po...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 8:28 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > --------------------------
> > > and who the hell told you that this Gamma
> > > is attached to the mass??
>
> > It isn't attached to the mass. It's a factor that is included in the
> > expression for momentum of massive objects. That's one of three
> > factors, none of which is "attached" to any of the others.
> > ------------------
>
> if so it is much better for my claim (:-)

Then your "claim" is old hat.

> we will see later ....
>
> > > just because you understand only algebra  parroting ???
> > > and evn by algebra that you understand
>
> > > how about
> > > instead of
> > > momentum = gamma   m v
>
> > > Momentum /gamma   = m v
>
> > > in   that case you dont have to **Invent***
> > > a new kind of mass   !!!!!!
>
> > Nor am I inventing a new kind of mass here. What I'm doing is writing
> > the CORRECT expression for the momentum of a massive object.
>
> we will see  (JUST LATER )that concluding that mass if infalated
> (based on that) is just an unjustified INTERPRETATION  !!

Indeed. "Relativistic mass" which inflates is an outmoded and largely
discarded idea. Mass these days is a relativistic invariant and does
not increase with speed. You are well behind -- and I mean decades
behind -- the times.

> > > **and m re,mains constant   !!!???
> > > how about thinking physics
> > > and not parroting
> > > btw
> > > as for the photon
> > >  THE GAMMA FACTOR DOES NOT APPLY AT ALL TO IT !!
>
> > That's correct, and the formula momentum = gamma x mass x velocity
> > doesn't apply to photons at all.
>
> yes exactly
> and i always have to argue about it
> with parrots !!
> because (among the others ) the photon
> moves at c
> andno mare exeleration

Never accelerated in the first place.

> and
> V=c  is  A LIMIT CASE even mathematically
> not to mention - physically !!

And I've already told you *many times* that the formula involving
gamma is not applied to photons.
I don't know why you think this is YOUR insight. It is old hat.

> anyway
> lets   examine a mass wich  moves at the  velocity
> - something less that c  just folowing:
> --------------
>
> > A wholly different expression for momentum is used for photons.
>
> yes
> and there is the  famous formula for a **mixture* of
> photons and bigger particles !!

Yes, and again that is old hat.

> ------------
>

> > > it is another indication about the  need to  know
> > > were and how to use it !!!
> > > 9bacause of ambiguity situations !!!
> > > --------------

> > > (:-)
> > > Hi  abstract   philosopher  !!
>
> > Nothing abstract about it. It's really very straightforward and
> > practical.
>
>  -----------------
> now since you PD still was not able to bring
> ACTUAL  SPECIFIC EXAMPLES
>  i will do it instead of you :
>
> lets take a mass  (not a photon) say
> an electron or even a proton (say like in the LHC)
> and examine it in TWO SITUATIONS:
> 1
> it moves in a velocity muchless than c amd let it collide say with a
> lead screen
> and examine its momentum of collission wihtthat screen
> 2
> lets take  exactly the above particle
> but this time with    a velocity
> *very close to c
> and examine its momentum  collision
> with  that above lead screen

This has been done. Fixed target and collider experiments with lead
targets have been operating for DECADES.

From: cjcountess on
Look “h”, is the constant kinetic or relativistic, call it what you
prefer, “mass/energy”, of the photon due to constant velocity of “c”.
It is still mass, and it is mass due to motion. And as I demonstrated,
even rest mass, is relative mass, in circular and or spherical
rotation. They are two aspects of the same thing. The whole universe
is in constant motion, and one might say that motion is more of a
constant than anything at rest. All mass come from energy in motion,
even rest mass, which is energy in rotation.
Like I said earlier, in equation (E=hf/c^2), “h” is constant mass/
energy due to constant velocity of, “c” and, “f” is variable mass/
energy, due to variable frequency. And higher mass/energy is due to
higher kinetic energy of motion, because higher frequency come from
higher motion of higher cycles per time unit, and translates to more
speed,.and correspondingly higher kinetic energy. In the old days the
equation (E=hf), was written as (E=hv), showing its direct
correspondence to (F=mv), as indeed they are equal on the quantum
level and directly proportional on macro level. And they updated
equation E=hf/c^2 is equal to F=mv/r^2.
Earlier I stated that E=hf/c^2 did not pertain to rest mass but it
does at the high end of the EM spectrum because when E=hf=c^2 or as
deBrolie stated E=hf=mc^2 as 1/1 = 1x1 = 1 /c^2 = x c^2.

On Dec 30 2009, 6:57 pm, "Inertial" <relativ...(a)rest.com> wrote:
> "cjcountess" <cjcount...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > 1) Planck discovered E=hf for photons
> > 2) Einstein discovered E=mc^2 for electron's/matter
> > 3) deBroglie discovered (E=hf) = (E=mc^2) for electron of -1 charge,
> > and that electron was also a wave.
> > 4) Bohr discovered that the wavelength of electron is equal to
> > circumference of circle with angular momentum of a multiple integer of
> > h/2pi
> > 5) Therefore it follows from this and other evidence, that (E=mc^2) =
> > (E= mc^circled) and c=(square root of -1)
>
> You were going well up until you started with that last line of nonsense.
>
> If c=(square root of -1), then c is no longer a real number, and cannot be
> the speed of anything measured. Further, if c=(square root of -1), then c^2
> = -2, so E = mc^2 becomes E = -m, and that is absolute nonsense.

c = the natural unit, sqrt of the natural unit -1, and is no longer
just an imaginary number, but a real natural unit just as the electron
is the real natural unit -1.
And yes E= -m in this special case.
Ever heard of the unity of the constants? As everything in the
universe come from a unified source as we get to the constants in
nature we find that they too extend from a unity.
(c^2 = G = h/2pi) and (h = c= i = 2pi) so far I’ve found that all
constants can be traced to a unity with c
In equation E=hf/c^2 and F=mv/r^2, c = r

Conrad J Countess
From: cjcountess on
“h” is the constant mass / energy, which can be considered invariant,
sense it doesn’t change, of photon due to constant invariant speed of
light. (c=h). This is only true in the linear direction and is frame
independent until a photon reaches E=hf=mc^2 which is rest mass. Than
rest mass with a momentum of h/2pi/2, becomes the constant, unless it
is converted back into energy. Even still, h is the constant within
the constant h/2pi/2.
Even if you could travel at c, alongside light, it still would not be
massless except in linear direction, just as a car moving at 30 mph
would not have enough relative mass to hurt you if you were driving
alongside it at the same speed and touched the front of it. That is
why people can pass things back and forth through the window if they
are driving at same speed next to each other. But it would probably
knock your hand off if you were at rest relative to it and it was
moving at 30 mph and hit your hand. Still we cannot move at c along
side of light and so it always maintains its constant speed and mass/
energy of h in linear direction.
But like I said even if you could move at c alongside it would still
have its angular momentum from frequency oscillation.
In order to see these things one has to look at this geometrically
which is something that equations alone cannot convey.
And also just as I said rest mass is relative mass in rotation even
compound matter are composed of particles made of rotation energy held
together by more rotating energy.

E=mc^2 = F=mv^2 and E=hf/c^2 = F=mv/r^2 on quantum level and I mean
directly not just analogously and just as 1/1 = 1x1 = 1 (m/c^2 =
mxc^2) concerning 1 quantum particle that is why E=hf/c^2 = E=mxc^2 at
level of electron as deBroglie stated.

Here are links with E=hv as equation

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=E%3Dhv&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

Here are some links to E=hf/c^2 as equation

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=e+hf%2Fc%5E2+photon&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Conrad J Countess
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: float..my farts