From: species8350 on
On Mar 28, 5:04 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.m...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
> > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
> >> Do you expect that anyone who knows your posting history would take
> >> your advice on computer security matters?
>
> > That's a peculiar comment.
>
> > If you think I have *ever* given misleading advice, cite an example.
>
> I didn't say you give misleading advice. You rarely give any advice at
> all. What you do is constantly post/crosspost/multipost the material of
> *others* (frequently dragging unrelated groups into the thread), and
> then ask silly questions about it.
>
> Are you being treated for Anankastic personality disorder?  Should you
> be?
>
> "What do *you* think about it?"
>
> --
>    -bts
>    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul

Thanks for the info so far.

To date: AVIRA and MSE seem to be worth a look.

Any advace?
From: ~BD~ on
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> I didn't say you give misleading advice. You rarely give any advice at
> all.

I do, in fact - but maybe not where you might notice. In RL I try,
really hard, to give advice *only* when ......

a. It is requested, or
b. If it's a life or death situation

What you do is constantly post/crosspost/multipost the material of
> *others* (frequently dragging unrelated groups into the thread), and
> then ask silly questions about it.

There has been a reason for everything I've done. I have 'encouraged
folk like Mike Easter, Aardvark and Oldus Fartus to join me in
alt.politics.scorched-earth. Good people with great minds. They would
never have gone there if I had not crossposted (IMO).

> Are you being treated for Anankastic personality disorder? Should you
> be?

*No*!!

> "What do *you* think about it?"

Let's discuss

F60.5 Anankastic (Obsessive-Compulsive) Personality Disorder

Personality disorder characterized by at least 3 of the following:

1. feelings of excessive doubt and caution;

No.

2. preoccupation with details, rules, lists, order, organization or
schedule;

A little. I put it down to Naval training.

3. perfectionism that interferes with task completion;

Perfectionist? Yes to a degree. Has never prevented task completion.

4. excessive conscientiousness, scrupulousness, and undue
preoccupation with productivity to the exclusion of pleasure and
interpersonal relationships;

No - not to the exclusion of pleasure and relationships.

5. excessive pedantry and adherence to social conventions;

No

6. rigidity and stubbornness;

Yes - I most certainly *can* be stubborn!

7. unreasonable insistence by the patient that others submit to
exactly his or her way of doing things, or unreasonable reluctance to
allow others to do things;

No - *I* don't think so anyway! (well, I would, wouldn't I? <g>)

8. intrusion of insistent and unwelcome thoughts or impulses.

No

Ref:
http://counsellingresource.com/distress/personality-disorders/anankastic.html

Quite an interesting excercise. I think perhaps you have judged me
unfairly. Much of what I have done (and do) is designed to "confuse the
enemy" - it is not necessarily the *real* me who you see!

Perhaps you'll indulge me by listening here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpcNFll5yOM

HTH

--
Dave
From: gufus on
From: species8350
Subj: AVAST?Sun, 28 Mar 2010 04:57:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, species8350!

You wrote on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 04:57:38 -0700 (PDT):

s> I was think of installing AVAST.

s> Should I consider any competitors?

Yes..

Avira v10

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: FromTheRafters on
"~BD~" <.BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "species8350" <not_here.5.species8350(a)xoxy.net>

>> | Better than AVAST?
>>
>> Definitely as well as Microsoft Security Essentials.
>

> Better provide some proof of that assertion, Mr Lipman.
>
> The world is watching and waiting for your 'proof'

Well, I'm waiting for some clarification myself. Without a comma after
"Definitely", the statement seems dubious.

From: FromTheRafters on
"species8350" <not_here.5.species8350(a)xoxy.net> wrote in message

Thanks for the info so far.

To date: AVIRA and MSE seem to be worth a look.

Any advace?

No advice from me.

I use Avira's free version of AntiVir and Alwil's free version of Avast!
(two laptops). I also have ClamWin as an on-demand scanner - just
because it entertains me to find FPs. Don't get me wrong, they *all* FP
and ClamWin in my experience wasn't the worst offender. There is no way
for me to know how each fared in detecting real malware, as I haven't
exposed them to very many samples. The only important metric in that
respect is the ratio of FPs to real detections in the real world, and I
have know way of knowing that (not even the "independent" tests can have
all of the HP and the IBM and the Gateway toolkit's and such in their
test sets).