From: "nobody >" on
~BD~ wrote:

> Quite an interesting excercise. I think perhaps you have judged me
> unfairly. Much of what I have done (and do) is designed to "confuse the
> enemy" - it is not necessarily the *real* me who you see!

So who's the enemy? Is it the other "me" we don't see?
From: "nobody >" on
species8350 wrote:
> McAfee is soon to end. I want to replace it with good free programme.
>
> I was think of installing AVAST.
>
> Should I consider any competitors?
>
> Thanks

I've used Avast! on my own machines (and those of friends and family)
for years. It hasn't caught *everything* (no AV program can), but
there's been only 3 cases on about 9 machines in 5 years. That's not bad
in my estimation.

FWIW and IMHO, there's no "best" AV. There are so-called "ratings" sites
out there, but no one can agree on what standards to test by, or what
level of bias exists on any of them.

Running a decent antivirus, keeping it up to date, keeping backups, and
practicing 'safe hex' are the best you can do.

But... (at least on Winderz)

*Just* running an AV program isn't enough.

You should also have a reasonable firewall program. I've used Zonealarm
"Free" for years, but it takes some getting used-to for users and some
education. XP's firewall is ...ehh.. OK, but Win7's is actually pretty
decent.

You also need an "anti-malware" program as well. Both SAS
(SuperAntiSpyware) and MBAM (MalwareBytes AntiMalware) are excellent.

You'll probably get a lot of "go's" on Avira and AVG, both of those are
good, but I don't know much about them. The last time I used AVG was
about 10 years ago.

Whatever you go with, getting out from underneath MacAffee's bloat and
resource-hogging is an improvement.
From: ~BD~ on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "species8350"<not_here.5.species8350(a)xoxy.net> wrote in message
>
> Thanks for the info so far.
>
> To date: AVIRA and MSE seem to be worth a look.
>
> Any advace?
>
> No advice from me.
>
> I use Avira's free version of AntiVir and Alwil's free version of Avast!
> (two laptops). I also have ClamWin as an on-demand scanner - just
> because it entertains me to find FPs. Don't get me wrong, they *all* FP
> and ClamWin in my experience wasn't the worst offender. There is no way
> for me to know how each fared in detecting real malware, as I haven't
> exposed them to very many samples. The only important metric in that
> respect is the ratio of FPs to real detections in the real world, and I
> have know way of knowing that (not even the "independent" tests can have
> all of the HP and the IBM and the Gateway toolkit's and such in their
> test sets).

I suspect that the OP meant *advance*

'n' e one can make an error!

In *your* post - "and I have know way ..." ;-)

**

No way, Jose! :)

--
Dave
From: David Kaye on
species8350 <not_here.5.species8350(a)xoxy.net> wrote:

>I was think of installing AVAST.

Avast works for me. I wish their user interface didn't leave me scratching my
head, though.

From: David Kaye on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>I use Avira's free version of AntiVir and Alwil's free version of Avast!
>(two laptops).

I have been installing Avast on my clients' computers (the home users) the
last several weeks. I also have it on this computer I'm using now. So far so
good.