From: ICU on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote in

> ICU wrote:
>
>> Thanks again for steering me in the right direction, it's much
>> appreciated.
>
> Welcome. Now, if you want annoying web page ads to go away, copy my
> text into the file (which I've created manually to block common ad
> servers) or see other versions elsewhere, such as:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> where the text is located at:
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
>
> Select, copy, paste. <g>

Thanks I'll give it a try.
Your help is much appreciated.

ICU

From: ICU on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote in

> ICU wrote:
>
>> Thanks again for steering me in the right direction, it's much
>> appreciated.
>
> Welcome. Now, if you want annoying web page ads to go away, copy my
> text into the file (which I've created manually to block common ad
> servers) or see other versions elsewhere, such as:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> where the text is located at:
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
>
> Select, copy, paste. <g>

Did that...tried yours and and one from the MVPS site, both give a
warning/alert "HOSTS " changed when doing a scan.

ICU

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
ICU wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>> Select, copy, paste. <g>
>
> Did that...tried yours and and one from the MVPS site, both give a
> warning/alert "HOSTS " changed when doing a scan.

Well, that sounds normal and expected, as you have changed it.

--
-bts
From: ICU on

> ICU wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>>> Select, copy, paste. <g>
>>
>> Did that...tried yours and and one from the MVPS site, both give a
>> warning/alert "HOSTS " changed when doing a scan.
>
> Well, that sounds normal and expected, as you have changed it.

Normal! What's normal with computers today?(G)
It will be interesting to see if that warning continues on each daily
scan, if so then the protection it provides by saying Hosts has been
changed is not really a protection at all, since, if it continues to
provide the "changed" message you will never know if it has been changed
again or it's still the same old change you made initially.(G)
BTW I have already discovered It doesn't tell you it's changed if you
replace it with the original host file.

ICU

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
ICU wrote:

> BTW I have already discovered It doesn't tell you it's changed if you
> replace it with the original host file.

Logic (<g>) would indicate that it should no longer tell you it was
changed. If it does, can you trust the program for complex things?
('cause there's sure nothing complex about the hosts text file.)

Maybe it thinks that any entry other than the must-have
127.0.0.1 localhost
is a problem. If so ... see above about trust.

--
-bts
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last