From: ICU on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote in

> rich(a)notyahoo.com wrote:
>
>> This is very weird. I had the exact same thing happen to me. My AVG
>> had been running fine until yesterday when I got the same error
>> message as you. I removed the .bak and when I ran AVG instead of
>> "error" it said "change". Normally whenever I would run AVG I would
>> get the "change" message in that dialog section.
>
> Aha. So now a good guess would be that AVG has added something to their
> latest definitions or program, and is now issuing a false positive.
>
> Time to ask them about it - why is it alerting on anything other than
> the default hosts file?

Time to ask who, have you ever tried to ask a question in the AVG free
forum...first you get told you are not posting in the right forum, then a
lecture about reading all the FAQ's first before posting and finally a
link is provided that tells you of a suggested drastic measure on how to
remove virus from your computer. I know they are all volunteers, and any
help is always appreciated but geez AVG should have some guidelines for
these volunteers on how to respond to questions, it's almost like the
experience you go through trying to get one of those mail in rebates
validated and a cheque mailed to you.(G)
Thats why I posted the question here hoping I could be spared that
experience again.
Once bitten , twice shy.(G)

ICU

From: ICU on

> ICU wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> Well this morning's scan gave me the "changed" message again, so how
>> can I trust it? I'm just being rhetorical, logic prevails.(G) Thanks
>> for the reply.
>
> Just thought of something. Earlier you said "Did that...tried yours and
> and one from the MVPS site, both give a warning/alert "HOSTS " changed
> when doing a scan."
>
> When you copied in the text from the second file, did you remove all
the
> text from the previous attempt? IOW, did you overwrite or append? You
> should overwrite.
>
> I'm not certain if this will make a difference with your scanner, but
it
> was a thought. Maybe you need to ask AVG why it alerts (I don't use
it).

First one (yours)I just pasted it in and saved it, second one I deleted
that file and copied the new file in.
As for asking AVG, see my other message, also AVG doesn't provide support
for the free AVG with tech staff, only a volunteer hosted forum.

ICU

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: LGKodiak Cruise Window