From: ICU on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote in

> ICU wrote:
>
>> BTW I have already discovered It doesn't tell you it's changed if you
>> replace it with the original host file.
>
> Logic (<g>) would indicate that it should no longer tell you it was
> changed. If it does, can you trust the program for complex things?
> ('cause there's sure nothing complex about the hosts text file.)
>
> Maybe it thinks that any entry other than the must-have
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> is a problem. If so ... see above about trust.

Well this morning's scan gave me the "changed" message again, so how can I
trust it?
I'm just being rhetorical, logic prevails.(G)
Thanks for the reply.

ICU

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
ICU wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Well this morning's scan gave me the "changed" message again, so how
> can I trust it? I'm just being rhetorical, logic prevails.(G) Thanks
> for the reply.

Just thought of something. Earlier you said "Did that...tried yours and
and one from the MVPS site, both give a warning/alert "HOSTS " changed
when doing a scan."

When you copied in the text from the second file, did you remove all the
text from the previous attempt? IOW, did you overwrite or append? You
should overwrite.

I'm not certain if this will make a difference with your scanner, but it
was a thought. Maybe you need to ask AVG why it alerts (I don't use it).

--
-bts
From: rich on
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:26:22 GMT, ICU <ICU(a)Nowhere.com> wrote:

>"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote in
>
>> ICU wrote:
>>
>>> I'm also now left with the question of why do I not have
>>> c:\windws\system32 \drivers\etc\hosts or am I even supposed to have
>>> it.
>>
>> S'far as I know, a HOSTS file is not required by any version of .. any
>> OS.
>>
>> But why not create one? Make an empty text file in the folder
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
>> named: HOSTS [no extension]
>>
>> Copy this text into it:
>> http://k75s.home.att.net/hostsfile.txt
>>
>> See: http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts
>>

>Thanks for the reply, links stc.
>After a quick scan/read of the info you posted I looked again at c:\windows
>\system32\drivers\etc\
>There were two files there with "hosts" in the name, one was hosts.bak and
>another with Imhosts.sam, I decided to copy hosts.bak to "hosts" no
>extension.
>BTW readng the hosts.bak file showed me it was the original sample hosts
>file, why or how it was renamed to hosts.bak is beyond me, the date on the
>file was back in Feb.
>Anyway everything so far is now running correctly, AVG (free) is no longer
>producing an error message.
>Thanks again for steering me in the right direction, it's much appreciated.

This is very weird. I had the exact same thing happen to me. My AVG
had been running fine until yesterday when I got the same error
message as you. I removed the .bak and when I ran AVG instead of
"error" it said "change". Normally whenever I would run AVG I would
get the "change" message in that dialog section.

Btw, the exploit situation seems to have resolved itself. I downloaded
the scanner, ran it in normal mode, and it did not find any viruses.
Since I ran the scan I have not seen the exploit threat listed.

Rich

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
rich(a)notyahoo.com wrote:

> This is very weird. I had the exact same thing happen to me. My AVG
> had been running fine until yesterday when I got the same error
> message as you. I removed the .bak and when I ran AVG instead of
> "error" it said "change". Normally whenever I would run AVG I would
> get the "change" message in that dialog section.

Aha. So now a good guess would be that AVG has added something to their
latest definitions or program, and is now issuing a false positive.

Time to ask them about it - why is it alerting on anything other than
the default hosts file?

--
-bts
From: rich on
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:40:03 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>rich(a)notyahoo.com wrote:
>
>> This is very weird. I had the exact same thing happen to me. My AVG
>> had been running fine until yesterday when I got the same error
>> message as you. I removed the .bak and when I ran AVG instead of
>> "error" it said "change". Normally whenever I would run AVG I would
>> get the "change" message in that dialog section.
>
>Aha. So now a good guess would be that AVG has added something to their
>latest definitions or program, and is now issuing a false positive.
>
>Time to ask them about it - why is it alerting on anything other than
>the default hosts file?

Now every time I run AVG it says change. But come to think of it, AVG
has been saying change for that file for a while now. It switched from
change to error yesterday.

I was just ignoring that change message not realizing that it may be
a result of some malicious activity.

My computer illiteracy is showing.

I think I will hang out in this group for a while as it appears that
there are a bunch of experts who hang out here. Thanx for the help.

Rich
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: LGKodiak Cruise Window